MateoConLechuga wrote:
That is some nice animation there! I do like how it shows the graph as the simulation runs; that is really neat. Smile
Thank you!
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Is this the thing with the molecules in the beaker, or is that something else? Razz
The screenshot below shows the original activity. As you can see, the molecules are in a separate, larger beaker below the graph; that's the main piece I'm still missing from this simulation.

*bump* I have made a number of tweaks to the simulation, and added a pH display. I still am dragging my feet on the molecular view.

Edit: That pH feels a little lonely to me. Do you guys think it needs a rectangle around it, and/or a shaded background behind it?

Nah, it looks good to me! Smile Perhaps a hyphen after it? But nice work! Very Happy
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Nah, it looks good to me! Smile Perhaps a hyphen after it? But nice work! Very Happy
Thanks for the feedback! For the sake of comparison, here's what it looks like with a rectangle around it. Personally, I think it looks better, but I'm more than willing to accept dissenting opinions. Smile Notice that I've also started the molecular view beaker.

I think it looks better this way. It separates the data being displayed without actually doing so, if that makes sense.

When do we get an animated shot of this? Very Happy *impatient*
tifreak8x wrote:
I think it looks better this way. It separates the data being displayed without actually doing so, if that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense to me. I think what you're getting at is that it groups the pH and the pH value together as a single notable item to look at without making it seem separate from the rest of the simulation.

Quote:
When do we get an animated shot of this? Very Happy *impatient*
There's a very preliminary screenshot from yesterday a few posts ago, but I'll certainly post an updated one once I finish the molecular view.
Actually, now that I see it in action, it looks quite nice! I thought you just meant the pH itself. Razz
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Actually, now that I see it in action, it looks quite nice! I thought you just meant the pH itself. Razz
Thank you! Sorry for not making clear what I intended. I've also finished adding the molecular view, but unfortunately, drawing all the molecules and ions each time is very slow. I need to reconsider how I do this.

Are you trying to make them move around? You could just leave them stationary, and change the amount of the colors as the PH increases?
tifreak8x wrote:
Are you trying to make them move around? You could just leave them stationary, and change the amount of the colors as the PH increases?
I am indeed leaving them stationary, but because the original activity puts them in random locations in the beaker, I am doing the same thing. Therefore, they all have to be redrawn on every "drip" of 1mL. I wanted to optimize that, but there's also the complication of a varying number of molecules, so I can't just change the colors of a few molecules when changing frames. That's the conundrum.

Edit: Also, with the random placement, I think it's too hard to tell which how many of each type are there. Here's an animated screenie:
You could just add or subtract the amount of molecules, as the animation will take care of itself if it progress faster. Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
You could just add or subtract the amount of molecules, as the animation will take care of itself if it progress faster. Smile
Yes, but then I'd have to store where I put each of the molecules. I'm moving towards being able to avoid that, though, since I'm now experimenting with putting the molecules in deterministic (but well-distributed) positions. I can make this now change the molecules as it goes, hopefully, although I'm tempted to cheat and just use an ASM stub to draw the molecules. Smile

Edit: I decided to expand the SIMRUN stub program embedded in the program's data already to have a third mode that draws the molecules in the beaker. Does anyone know what happens if I _RclAns in ASM when Ans is a list rather than a Real or a Complex number? Will I get the first element of the list, an error, a flag set, or nothing?

Edit #2: The System Routines documentation had the answer:
Quote:
RclVarSymwill recall the contents of the variable to OP1 if it is real, to OP1 and OP2 if the variable is complex and otherwise leaves the name as is in OP1 and returns HL as the symbol table pointer and DE as the data pointer as in ChkFindSym.

Edit #3: Now we're cooking! I think it might be time to move on to work on the second titration simulation (specifically the cryogenic microscope portion) and then check that the virulence simulation is still working correctly.

*bump* And now I have completed the second titration animation, where I had the much easier task of simulating a high-powered microscope looking at a prion. I chose to deviate from the original activity for the first time by removing the ability to zoom in on the prion. In the original, you had to repeatedly (as in, about fifty times) click an on-screen button to zoom in on the prion before you could begin titrating, and it was a pain. In addition, xLIBC has no scaled sprite routines, so implementing zooming would have required a lot of sprite data (ie, the microscope images at different zoom levels). I think removing zooming was the sane option.

Definitely a far saner choice than what they had you do. I got very irritated with it very quickly when messing with it, glad you are getting rid of the annoyance. And that screenshot looks fantastic! Very Happy
Looking great Kerm, as usual! Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
Definitely a far saner choice than what they had you do. I got very irritated with it very quickly when messing with it, glad you are getting rid of the annoyance. And that screenshot looks fantastic! Very Happy
Whew, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found those simulations sluggish and hard-to-use. I hope you'll get a chance to try my versions and see how you like them.

JamesV wrote:
Looking great Kerm, as usual! Smile
You're too kind, sir! I appreciate it.

I spend a number of hours on my long train ride today finishing off the activity, testing it on my TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, and writing the student and teacher worksheets that go with the activity. It's available now in the Archives, and I'd greatly appreciate you guys' help testing it. If you can simply pretend you're a student and use the student worksheet to guide you through using the activity, I'd love your feedback, especially if you find things that seem unclear, incorrect, or buggy. Thanks so much in advance.

Download
[Beta] Zombie Apocalypse Part 2 Activity for TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition

Looking great as always, I wish I had a CSE to try it out!
I'm impressed by how these always look far more impressive than the NSpire versions! Smile
ldstudios wrote:
I'm impressed by how these always look far more impressive than the NSpire versions! Smile
Thanks, that means a lot to me. I have a few ideas to improve the TI-Nspire versions, but unfortunately, it's not my job to make them. Wink
Nice job on the program!
I noticed a few mistakes after a quick run of the program only.
Quote:
She explains, "we will..." (Page 10)

I believe that "we" should be capitalized.

You did not include the "M" for .10 molar concentration for the HCl but you did for .20M NaOH. (Page 11)

Quote:
Phenolpthalein has been... (Page 11)

Phenolphthalein

The user is unable to leave the pages before the simulations. The user must press F3, F4, or Enter. F1, F2, F5, 2ND, Clear, Left, or Right result in a syntax error.

Quote:
...slowly administer bicarbonate...(Page 31)

sodium bicarbonate

I tested with DoorsCSE 8.1.0.
KermMartian wrote:
ldstudios wrote:
Thanks, that means a lot to me. I have a few ideas to improve the TI-Nspire versions, but unfortunately, it's not my job to make them. Wink

Yeah, I was actually quite disappointed with the nspire ones. They really didn't take advantage of how much they could have done using lua.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours