Hello everyone. I'm trying to collect some interesting statistics on Casio Prizm calculators, namely:
- Approximate values for how many of these calculators exist, and how many are usually produced per month;
- Whether the rate of production has been increasing or decreasing;
- How long, on average, it takes for a calculator to be bought after being built;
- Approximate values for how many calculators are sold by country/website;
- What OS version the calculators run and what is/was the preloaded version;
- How many calculators exist with each hardware revision, and figure out when each revision was introduced, etc.

To calculate these values, I'm collecting product IDs of fx-CG 10 and 20 models (product IDs, perhaps more commonly known as "serial numbers", even though on the Prizm they are not really serial). These are the sequences of 15 characters printed on the small white sticker on the back of the calculator, along with a barcode, that start with 755.

The first two points should be possible to figure out as long as one has a big enough sample of product IDs. This is because the ID contains the month and year of production, along with the serial number for the month (see more details here: http://prizm.cemetech.net/index.php/Product_ID_Information ).
The other points can be a little harder to obtain, but not impossible. It would depend on how much information people have and are willing to share. It's understandable that not everyone is willing to open their calculator to know the hardware revision, for example. Things like the installed OS version or the country where the calc was purchased are easier to remember, but I understand that not everyone is willing to share them (if the project is successful, though, it could be possible to make correlations based on people who shared such information).

To collect the necessary data, tny. internet media has built this website: http://prizmid.tny.im/ It is where statistics will be published once we have enough entries for a proper analysis.

It takes less than five minutes (I mean, really. Unless the product ID has become unreadable and you need some more effort to read it) to submit a product ID. Everything is explained on the website.

Prizm Product ID survey

FAQ (in addition to the one which is on the website):

Q: Turns out my product ID had already been submitted, but I never visited this website before?
A: I already submitted the product IDs I could find on a Omnimaga thread, along with the preloaded OS version when one was published. If you have more information to add, just re-submit the product ID with more information (make sure to select the preloaded OS version, so no information is lost).

Q: I have more than one Prizm...
A: You can submit them all if you wish.

Q: I have one/two/three/... broken Prizm(s). Should I participate?
A: Yes, you can submit all of them if you wish; "current OS version" would mean "OS version it had installed when it broke". Make sure to put "broken", "dead" or something like that in the comments field, in case I decide to exclude those from some statistics.

Q: Is it dangerous/does it bring any problem to share the product ID?
A: As far as I know, no. So far, Casio hasn't asked for the product ID for anything (it's not like with some TI calculators where you need it for a software license or something like that, not sure) and the product ID alone doesn't contain any personal information; depending on the results of the analysis, it could become possible to know, in a not very precise manner, where the calculator was bought (in terms of country/website), but I doubt the information collected will allow for that.

If you have any more questions or concerns, do not hesitate to ask, either here or through the email address listed on the website.
Quote:

Q: I have one/two/three/... broken Prizm(s). Should I participate?

Hehe, was that a hint that I should participate, or have you already recorded my three broken prizm's?
flyingfisch wrote:
Hehe, was that a hint that I should participate, or have you already recorded my three broken prizm's?

(replying just so it doesn't seem I didn't care, as we talked over IRC) Yes, indeed it was Smile And thanks for submitting. In your case you know the hardware revision, which is good as I doubt many people know theirs.
My sticker has been completely worn out. I don't think I'll be able to ever read it again, and I can't remember writing it down anywhere Sad
JosJuice wrote:
My sticker has been completely worn out. I don't think I'll be able to ever read it again, and I can't remember writing it down anywhere Sad

I'm actually sad being in the exact same situation Sad ... I'd be happy to help by completing this survey, but I can't without that serial number.

But, I relayed it on Planete-Casio, hoping that could help getting a few more answers ! Wink
Regarding the worn out stickers, indeed I don't think there's much one can do. I'm almost in the same situation, but when I sent my calculator for repairs they were still magically able to read it (probably the fact that there're the written characters and a barcode helps). But it's not like mine is unreadable, it's just very close to, so I'm not saying they have a way to know the ID, just that it certainly gave them some work. The advantage is that now I have papers with the ID on it and pictures of the papers... so I don't have to worry about the ink wearing out anymore.

Nemhardy wrote:
But, I relayed it on Planete-Casio, hoping that could help getting a few more answers ! Wink

Thank you very much. I have been wanting to cross-post this into other websites of mine and Casio calculator communities, but I don't have much time these days. Though Planete-Casio is one of those communities I wouldn't reach, as I don't speak French, so again I'm grateful for your relaying.

To answer people's questions on Planete-Casio, no, there is no time limit planned, the idea is for this to be an ongoing thing, and statistics will be released as we get a significant number of entries. Almost 20 entries now, it would be good if we could get this number to at least 100.

Note that this isn't a "Cemetech thing", the idea is to have the whole Casio calculator community participating, but as I said I don't have much time and only posted here because it's where I already have an account and I'm logged in most of the time.

EDIT still regarding the worn out IDs, I don't have the original box and assets that came with the Prizm with me right now, but could someone confirm that the ID is not in there?
Quote:

EDIT still regarding the worn out IDs, I don't have the original box and assets that came with the Prizm with me right now, but could someone confirm that the ID is not in there?

I know that I have the packaging that came with mine somewhere, but I can't find it. When I do find it I will post an answer to your question. Wink
JosJuice wrote:
My sticker has been completely worn out. I don't think I'll be able to ever read it again, and I can't remember writing it down anywhere :(

same here, I cannot make out much after 755DW and
barcode is also quite worn out especially towards the end.

gbl08ma, is any part from the system information of your utilities add-in of any help to you?
Utilities or any other software can't do much about it, because as far as we know, the ID on the back isn't stored in anything software-accessible. There's the ABS ID, used on USB connections, but it is random and doesn't contain information like the product ID.

To everyone with worn out stickers: *some* scanners can do a pretty good job at making distinguishable low-contrast things with *some* settings (most importantly, max contrast). YMMV, depending on the scanner, how much the ID is worn out, and the type of paper it is printed in. If that doesn't result, you could try to get a good quality picture of it (not necessarily high-resolution; good lighting and no blurring is more important) and post here so I could try to decipher it...
hello,

I live in Japan,

but my Prizm which I have is all CG10 not CG20 a Japanese version,

I registered two bricks and two works.

I hope this will be of some help. Very Happy
flyingfisch wrote:
Quote:

I know that I have the packaging that came with mine somewhere, but I can't find it. When I do find it I will post an answer to your question. Wink

OK, just found the packaging and the serial number does not appear to be printed on it, though I may be missing some of the papers that came with it so I can't say for sure.
With today's half a dozen submissions it became possible to determine that the 001V04 hardware revision was introduced in March 2013 or earlier, and that, as expected, the first units with this revision came with the 01.04 OS (actually, a special version for Macronix flash). It's possible that the units with the 001V04 hardware started being produced as early as October 2012, as the timestamp for the special 01.04 OS is 2012.1009.1425.
gbl08ma wrote:
It's possible that the units with the 001V04 hardware started being produced as early as October 2012, as the timestamp for the special 01.04 OS is 2012.1009.1425.

The lettering like 7 segment on the PCB is exist.

My 755AW33 "001V04" have One is "2612" one more "0713"

Will this number made a date of manufacture?

2612 : 26th week of 2012 ?
0713 : 07th week of 2013 ?
sentaro21 wrote:
gbl08ma wrote:
It's possible that the units with the 001V04 hardware started being produced as early as October 2012, as the timestamp for the special 01.04 OS is 2012.1009.1425.

if it is on the back sticker then this may help http://prizm.cemetech.net/index.php/Product_ID_Information

I believe 755AW33 means March 2013 but you are probably referring to the inside/PCB numbering.
amazonka wrote:
sentaro21 wrote:
gbl08ma wrote:

if it is on the back sticker then this may help http://prizm.cemetech.net/index.php/Product_ID_Information

I believe 755AW33 means March 2013 but you are probably referring to the inside/PCB numbering.

Sorry,I confused that a little.
Thank you. Smile
I made a few adjustments to the site so that it now accepts (and sanitizes for storing) product IDs not in uppercase. A minor change that hopefully will make it even easier to participate.

Yesterday some people said in SAX/IRC that they were yet to submit their Prizm(s). (I think it was Kerm.) Of course, and since I don't plan to end the survey in the next months (especially if new IDs keep coming in as slow as they have so far), you don't need to do it in a hurry, I just ask you to do it in a reasonable time frame so that we can get useful results faster.
There have been no new submissions for over ten days, I wonder if people are having problems with the website, or if the grand total of Prizms from people who go on Casio calculator communities (and thus know about this survey) is... 33?
Website still works, updated my (755AW0ZMA019837 for the record) with the spansion chip info in the comment and H/W revision.
What's the total of the IDS now if you don't mind letting us know please. I have input one of the IDs some time ago but could not read the sticker for another calculator I have.

I separately wonder if it right to assume that each month Casio produce hundreds of thousands of them just because the number at the end of the ID is 6-digit long... What is the range of those numbers - is it possible there is a checksum built into that number making at least one digit just a verifying one for the rest of this number or even including other bits like production date or model version?

If checksum theory works it could perhaps help with figuring out the IDs which are partially rubbed out... this combined with the partial barcode image could help
There are 37 IDs in the database. None of them are identified as having hardware version 001V02 or below, unfortunately.

One of the purposes of the survey was exactly to understand better the six digits at the end of the ID. I don't know if there's enough data already to get to a conclusion that's different from the current one; assuming it is a plain count of calculators built in the month (and we don't know if it's the sum of CG 10 and 20 or only the model the ID refers to), the current data lets us know Casio can make over 280000 calculators a month.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours