CKH4 wrote:
I'd like to learn the format for levels, I opened the appvar and experimented but all I got were problems when I loaded them into the emulator.

Sure, I'll PM you tonight with the format and how things are set up. Smile

KermMartian wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
EDIT: Also, if anyone reading this knows about the bcall _ChkFindSym, does it return a variable not found message now on the TI84+CSE? How odd...
I have not observed this behavior. You're checking the c flag before you do anything like trying to delete or use the variable in question?

Yes, I was, except when I exited, I assumed it existed and archived it... Whoops! Smile So that is fixed now, and I also have some fun updates here:

MEGA UPDATE!!!!
So since death animation, level transitions, and text between levels is complete (Somewhat, I'll probably make it look even better with a new custom font later among other things), along with crates and crate physics, I thought that I would release another version. As always, post here if you want anything added, changed, or you found something that doesn't work the way it should! Smile Thanks all, and enjoy!

EDIT: Key controls have changed a little!!
[MODE] - Quits in-game
[ALPHA] - Speeds up text
[CLEAR] - Quits in a text display or main menu

Screenshots:

(And just because I am happy that I actually got this far: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile Smile Smile Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile Smile Smile Laughing Laughing Laughing )
This is looking really awesome, I wish I had a CSE!
MateoConLechuga wrote:
(And just because I am happy that I actually got this far: ...)
I hope I can get that far too eventually! Razz
ldstudios wrote:
This is looking really awesome, I wish I had a CSE!
MateoConLechuga wrote:
(And just because I am happy that I actually got this far: ...)
I hope I can get that far too eventually! Razz

Good luck! Remember, just keep chipping away at it; it will make itself eventually! Smile

Also, update! I made a new snazy custom font to make it look a little better. Also, as of right now, I have 3/40 levels completed, compressed, and ready for action. I'll post my progress on the first page as I complete a level. Also, for CKH4, I kind of spaced last night and wasn't able to get to get you the level format; I'll do that today.

Also, I have decided to put down the actual game for now and make an on-calc level editor, as this will speed development by tenfold. Should be done in a couple days, as I already have most display things in the actual game. Razz
How do you actually play this, like, beat the levels? I've never played Portal before. I'm stuck on the second level and have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Or am I supposed to figure it out?
If you're going to make a level editor I wouldn't bother trying to explain it to me, I'd focus on the level editor.

ralphworthington74 wrote:
How do you actually play this, like, beat the levels? I've never played Portal before. I'm stuck on the second level and have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Or am I supposed to figure it out?

You're supposed to figure it out.
The screenshots look awesome and the game looks like it plays very smoothly. I hope to see this project finish soon.

Now... if only I had actual hardware...

Portal is an action puzzle game. As with all puzzle games, the purpose of the game is to figure it out.

IIRC, the original Portal game baked its tutorial right into the level design. I don't think he's gotten around to doing that yet.
I'm just really confused on what the different blocks are. I didn't really understand the read me about this.

White square block inside piece: Energy ball button toggle switch.

That made no sense to me at all.

No, figuring it out can be quite difficult! Smile
I am going to make a story line that explains everything in the final game, but here are some main ideas:

You want to reach the right side of the map, and go through the door which is in the bottom right hand corner.

The orange moving thing is an energy ball, which can go through portals. The two blocks that have the white space in them are energy ball switches, which can be toggled and open doors when an energy ball hits them.
Example: (It's somewhere in here...) Note: old screenshot

You can pick up the crate if it is near you by pressing [2ND], and fire portals by pressing the numpad.

The [5] key switches which portal you are shooting.

Buttons can open doors when you are standing on them, or a crate is on top of them. You can throw crates by pressing [2ND].

EDIT:
Iambian wrote:
IIRC, the original Portal game baked its tutorial right into the level design. I don't think he's gotten around to doing that yet.

Yes, I actually have the text routines set up so all I have to do is add the text that I want to display for each level! Smile I just have to write the story line... Razz

CKH4 wrote:
If you're going to make a level editor I wouldn't bother trying to explain it to me, I'd focus on the level editor.

Sounds good! Smile
Oooo... A level editor? I volunteer my services in making levels then!
Unicorn wrote:
Oooo... A level editor? I volunteer my services in making levels then!

Sounds great! Very Happy For the level editor, to avoid many problems and issues with having to create and name and rename AppVars, which is not really worth all the trouble, I am going to make it so there are 3-5 AppVars that are dedicated to Custom Level packs, sort of like a save file. Then you can just choose the one you want to edit. It might take me a little bit to write the editor; but I already have everything done for putting tiles and displaying them, so it shouldn't be too hard. Smile (That is why I made the game first, and then the level editor)
I would appreciate custom text between the levels and possibly custom level icons.
CKH4 wrote:
I would appreciate custom text between the levels and possibly custom level icons.

I would too! I am not sure about custom level icons, and text would add a whole new level of complexity, but I will see what I can do. It could be a rather difficult journey. Smile

Oh, and by the way, here are some initial screenshots of the level editor. It can't save anything now, so it is pretty much useless. Smile

Note the pretty new font. Smile

Still a ton of things to do, and the list never seems to get any shorter... But oh well. Very Happy
This game looks awesome from any point of vue, except for one thing that bugs me. It seems like you are not simulating gravity realistically. When I look at your screenshots, I feel like the character's Y-speed is constant piecewise, instead of having a constant derivative.
The transition between levels is pretty nifty. I was wondering how you would achieve the same as in Portal Prelude due to lack of vertical smooth scrolling, but in your case, just with horizontal scrolling it still looks fine Smile
Hayleia wrote:
This game looks awesome from any point of vue, except for one thing that bugs me. It seems like you are not simulating gravity realistically. When I look at your screenshots, I feel like the character's Y-speed is constant piecewise, instead of having a constant derivative.

Those may be some of the older screenshots; I hadn't added the gravity thing in a little bit. There is a velocity cap, which moves a maximum of 3 steps each time. But the movement amount is still preserved. For example, if you fall at speed 10 for example, it will only move 3 steps, but still maintain the 10. That is to prevent super-fast falling in which shooting a portal would not be reasonable. I am not quite sure where this is occurring; could you point it out a little more so that I can fix it? Very Happy

DJ_O wrote:
The transition between levels is pretty nifty. I was wondering how you would achieve the same as in Portal Prelude due to lack of vertical smooth scrolling, but in your case, just with horizontal scrolling it still looks fine Smile

Yeah, there is one thing that kind of bugs me though. Since it is in full-screen mode, I have to change the display offset and then output the updated map sprites, so there is a little overlap if you look closely at the right side of the scrolling screen. Oh well. Smile
I'm fine with the overlap. After all, almost every NES game does this.
DJ_O wrote:
I'm fine with the overlap. After all, almost every NES game does this.

Isn't that the truth! Smile Ah, the good old NES from back in the day... Smile

Well, update. So many of you may have noticed that you can overlap portals. Now you can't. Simple as that. Smile

The reason for this is that I was originally going to allow it, but then I asked myself this: Would people think it was a bug? And the answer is probably yes. So now it doesn't do things like that. Hopefully I can upload the newest version for some quick testing later tomorrow. Smile
I downloaded the "Mega update" last night and whenever I ran portal it messed up my screen like the tv snow. Am I running it incorrectly?
Unicorn wrote:
I downloaded the "Mega update" last night and whenever I ran portal it messed up my screen like the tv snow. Am I running it incorrectly?

That is really odd: Were you able to get to the home screen, or did it just immediately crash? Was it run from within a shell, or straight from the APPS menu? I will have to look into this further; this doesn't sound good at all. Sad Sorry about that! Sad Never seen that one before; it could be that the sprite routine is looking at some junk and trying to display it. Any info that you can provide would be awesome. This is still in development stages, so most releases are liable to have some bugs. But it will get there! Smile

Is this when you exited the APP itself? Thanks again for posting bug reports! This is certainly useful. Smile
This happens when you try to write pixels outside of the LCD's hardware clipping window, for what it's worth.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 26
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours