MateoConLechuga wrote:
So many headaches... Smile But an update for those of you who are wondering.

Finished:
::Rudimentary Physics (Still need friction...)
::Portal Shooting
::Portal Bumping
::Portal Clipping
::Portal Movement
::Level Loader
::Collision Detection
::Button Collision -- They don't know what to do yet though

Almost There:
::Lifting Boxes
::Box Physics
::Box Bumping

TODO:
::Doors
::Portal Eraser Beams
::Lasers
::Glass Walls
::Energy Balls
::Spikes
::Fail Animation
::Main Level Pack
::Transitions
::Splash Screen
::Testing

Ideas
::Custom Maps/Level Editor

So much work to do... Smile What fun!

Super cool, I can't wait!
I should have the rest of the sprites done (in 8x8 size) in the next few days. Then I'll work on touching them up.

Another idea besides the level editor is the ability to have custom plots (I felt that text between the custom levels in the original ti 84 version should've been added).

Thanks for your continued work on this, if you need any help with anything else after I finish the sprites I'd be glad to help. (my knowledge of asm is very limited)
Do you ever get the feeling that those "to-do" lists grow quicker than you can tackle them? I know mine do hah Smile

I'm really looking forward to this game though!
Yes, that is just the truth. Smile Especially when you have multiple objects that all like to collide differently with other objects... It is just the worst. Smile But hey, I got myself into this. Oh well. Smile
http://postimg.org/image/ymlhuw0sh/6a3f24b7/

updated sprites
CKH4 wrote:
updated sprites
Very nice! Keep up the good work, and I hope your contributions are helping to motivate Mateo on this project. For additional motivation, hopefully it helps that I know a lot of people are looking forward to this game.
CKH4 wrote:
http://postimg.org/image/ymlhuw0sh/6a3f24b7/

updated sprites

Very nice! These will certainly work quite well. Just need to figure out a general physics routine for objects; then we shall see where we are at! Smile
Woah! This looks pretty awesome.
Thanks! Smile

Unfortunately, I have run into a little problem which will definitely limit some of the niceness. I discovered that while inside a portal, you can move around quite easily, but this may not be the case, as I have to erase above and below. I could try transparency... Let me see.

In other words, you are shifted the right amount when going through a portal, horizontally and vertically, you are just not able to move with in them. I will try and see if I can come up with a way to fix this... And figure out what the heck is going on with my physics routine. Smile

Oh and by the way: Should portals be allowed to intersect? Personally, having removed that code that doesn't let them, I found that it is actually quite useful, and cool looking. But it is up to you guys! Smile
Good job so far on this!

I hope you re-add the rocky sprites from the first screenshot, though, because I thought it made the game look more detailed. Smile
Oh, you guys ain't seen nothing yet. Smile I am considering releasing a beta tomorrow, but without physics as I despise my current system. Smile That will also be the same day as I post my, ahm, other (Kerm) video and picture that I said I would post like two days ago... Smile Whoops. But yeah, once I get physics worked out, and boxes better looking, it is on to level creation. Smile

EDIT: Just realized how many smiles I put in this post... Oh well, here's anothe: Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Oh, you guys ain't seen nothing yet. Smile I am considering releasing a beta tomorrow, but without physics as I despise my current system. Smile That will also be the same day as I post my, ahm, other (Kerm) video and picture that I said I would post like two days ago... Smile Whoops. But yeah, once I get physics worked out, and boxes better looking, it is on to level creation. Smile

EDIT: Just realized how many smiles I put in this post... Oh well, here's anothe: Smile

At least it's not as bad as this (which was in response to a nearly-as-colorful post, but finally made non-ban-worthy).

EDIT: Also I just realized that when I followed this topic from SAX, I landed on the first page without noticing. So I thought you had removed textures but now I see you added them back. My bad >.<
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Oh, you guys ain't seen nothing yet. Smile I am considering releasing a beta tomorrow, but without physics as I despise my current system. Smile That will also be the same day as I post my, ahm, other (Kerm) video and picture that I said I would post like two days ago... Smile Whoops.
A Christmas present of a Portal CSE alpha or beta sounds superb; I hope you get around to it. Wink As long as it doesn't break anything, I'm inclined to think you should allow intersecting portals.
I would love a beta but I can only test it emulated.
How are you storing the level right now? (for the possibility of more levels)
CKH4 wrote:
I would love a beta but I can only test it emulated.
How are you storing the level right now? (for the possibility of more levels)

Sounds good! Levels are currently stored into an AppVar, but I am constructing a quick little level editor to do the basics with. Levels are actually really easy to make and compile, it is just making them work is the problem. And, as I stated in my previous post, I am now uploading a pre-alpha (Sorry, not a beta...) (note: Only one level, but still pretty interesting to play, and only gravity right now; no physics yet; sorry Sad ) But physics shouldn't be too hard to do, once I think on it a little more on the best method. I'll probably try to learn a little Axe on that account. Wink But hey, this game is still pretty fun to play even in this pre-alpha state. What is to come is going to be interesting. Thank you everyone for your support! And CKH4, I had to edit some tiles in order to make them work better with my tile mapper. Check out the ReadMe.txt for more information. Enjoy all, and Merry Christmas!

ScreenShot:

Please, if you have a CSE, test this out and if you find any bugs, or any comments you have post them here! Thanks! Smile
I love what you did with the textures (sorry I didn't finish them) and game mechanics. Merry Christmas too you too.

Edit.
Is the background going to be white? *suggestion: different colors on different levels
CKH4 wrote:
Is the background going to be white? *suggestion: different colors on different levels

I do like this idea; changing colors is just two bytes extra inside the level data. White is indeed quite stark. Smile But I just decided to go with something neutral for now. Once again, thank you for all your help! Smile Motivation is certainly important.

Current Plans:
::Change Title Screen: Kind of don't like the layout right now...
::Physics!
:: And everything else listed on Page 1
I'll be sure to post any bugs I find playing! It looks really nice.
Update!

So I was thinking last night about physics, and then it hit me! I finally figured out a reasonable way to implement realistic looking physics, and transfer between portals! And the cooler thing is that it actually works correctly! I'm going to add it to my crate movement routines, and then go from there. I'll probably have a couple levels made by the end of winter break, complete with physics, story, transitions, and more. Smile
Nice work, Mateo. Smile A fluid, functional physics engine sounds challenging indeed, and I suspect it took you a lot of thinking and experimenting to find the right method. Regarding the pending playable alpha: I unfortunately had to reject it due to the size of the animated screenshot, but otherwise it looks good.
KermMartian wrote:
Nice work, Mateo. Smile A fluid, functional physics engine sounds challenging indeed, and I suspect it took you a lot of thinking and experimenting to find the right method. Regarding the pending playable alpha: I unfortunately had to reject it due to the size of the animated screenshot, but otherwise it looks good.

Oh that's fine. It was quite large! Smile By the way, here is what the physics currently looks like; I'll re upload it now.

Note: The physics engine has not been fully tested yet, so any help is much appreciated!

[Download Link]

16aroth6 wrote:
Will it also support levels from the monochrome?

As of right now, no. There are some fundamental differences in this version... But later on I might see if it is possible to build a converter or something like that.

Add to TODO list: Level compression! That's a must.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 26
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours