Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
After just about finishing my entry for contest #13, I got started on a new project: Portal for NSpire. I was partially inspired by MateoConLechuga's recent work on Portal CSE, along with a 2D portal flash game that I played recently. This is one of my most ambitious projects yet, and I'm going to take it slowly and carefully to make sure I'm happy with the results.

Here's what I have so far:




Here's my current Complete/To Do List:

Game Story:
Better name:
Basic story with Level Set:

Menus:
Home Screen: COMPLETE
Main Menu: COMPLETE
Pause Menu: COMPLETE
Level Selection Room: IN PROGRESS

Game Mechanics:
Storing/Loading Maps: COMPLETE
Collisions: COMPLETE
Portals: COMPLETE
Buttons/Sliding Doors: COMPLETE
Crates: COMPLETE
Companion Cubes: COMPLETE
Energy Balls/Toggle Switches: COMPLETE
Glass: COMPLETE
Energy Beams: COMPLETE
Turrets: COMPLETE
Subtitles: COMPLETE
Room Heating: COMPLETE

Animations/Cutscenes
Death Animation: COMPLETE
Elevator and text between Levels: COMPLETE

Customization:
Customization of Colors: COMPLETE
Customization of Tilesets: IN PROGRESS
Level Editing:
Custom Made Skins and Tile Sets:

Other
Achievements/Unlocks:

-----------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, I'm going to be very busy from this Thursday to January 10ish, so don't expect much progress until then (I might have time to do a little bit though).
Let me know if you have any ideas for this project, and wish me luck, this is going to be a lot of work![/b]
Good luck with this! Smile At times I wish programming for the 84+CSE could work like this. Smile

EDIT: I agree that this project is definitely ambitious -- Portal is something that takes time. I agree that I also need to take some time and make sure that I am happy with the results. It took the original creator, BuilderBoy, 3 years to make his Axe rendition. There are just so many things to juggle and keep track of... If you can pull this off, fantastic!
Well going by what I see so far, I am very excited to see the result of this. Even the title screen and menus look professional.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Good luck with this! Smile At times I wish programming for the 84+CSE could work like this. Smile

EDIT: I agree that this project is definitely ambitious -- Portal is something that takes time. I agree that I also need to take some time and make sure that I am happy with the results. It took the original creator, BuilderBoy, 3 years to make his Axe rendition. There are just so many things to juggle and keep track of... If you can pull this off, fantastic!

Thanks, a lot and good luck with yours too!

ProgrammerNerd wrote:

Well going by what I see so far, I am very excited to see the result of this. Even the title screen and menus look professional.

Thanks!

I set up the basic level drawing, as well as moving, jumping and collisions. It also stores which sides of each block you can create a portal on, and those sides are outlined in white. I also added shooting portals, they collide with walls, but don't create portals yet. You can't see too much from a screenshot right now, but here:

Next up, creating portals and passing through them! (easier said than done Razz)

EDIT:
Portals are created on the walls when you shoot them!
Wow, this is progressing really fast! Are the levels going to scroll or are they going to be a fixed size?
Ivoah wrote:
Wow, this is progressing really fast! Are the levels going to scroll or are they going to be a fixed size?

I think I'm going to keep levels a fixed sized for now, there is already so much other stuff to do, I don't want to worry about scrolling right now >.< (besides, every 2D version of portal I've played has fixed level sizes).
Nice work! Looking pretty sharp. Out of curiosity, what is this written in?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Nice work! Looking pretty sharp. Out of curiosity, what is this written in?

Thanks again, and it's written in lua.
I'll use a better screen recorder next time, but you get the idea

(the yellow circle around the mouse is just part of the screen recorder)
Looking pretty nice! You seem to have the physics down well; nice job! Is the background color customizable?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Looking pretty nice! You seem to have the physics down well; nice job! Is the background color customizable?

Physics are getting there, unfortunately, it's still possible to get suck inside portals sometimes, so it's not perfect.
As for background color, I'm not sure if you mean in the game itself, or whether I could change it in the language I'm using. Right now the graphics in the game aren't customizable (except for portal colors), but I could change the background to anything very easily.
Here's the new portal/physics engine:
>>click<<

Next I'm going to make some changes to portal shooting, and then I'll move on to other game play elements.
ldstudios wrote:
Here's the new portal/physics engine:
>>click<<

Next I'm going to make some changes to portal shooting, and then I'll move on to other game play elements.


Horray for progress!
Nice work! Portal physics engine can be strange; nice job! Smile Looks like it rolls pretty smoothly! Very Happy
Hmm are you going to restrict the movement, you seemed to jump really high and out of the screen. (Or maybe that is just the recording)
APotato wrote:
Hmm are you going to restrict the movement, you seemed to jump really high and out of the screen. (Or maybe that is just the recording)

There's no reason to limit this now, levels will probably have a ceiling, but maybe some of them won't and you'll be able to go offscreen.
*bump*
Today I reworked the method of shooting portals, changed the gravity, jump height and velocity limits, and also fixed about 5 or 6 bugs. Now that I'm finally happy with the basic layout, I'm going to implement sprites and then start working on other game play elements. In a week or so, I'm going to take a quick break from this to work on a Sonic based game with Ivoah. It shouldn't take too long, especially since there's two of us working on it. Once that's done I'll be working on this again, (and I don't think you'll be too disappointed with the other project either if it comes out how I plan).
Cool! Looking forward to the results! Smile Sonic sounds pretty fun; are you guys thinking about doing it where it's like a 3D racing track?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Cool! Looking forward to the results! Smile Sonic sounds pretty fun; are you guys thinking about doing it where it's like a 3D racing track?
Yup!

Sprites:

I'll implement them soon. Also for the sprites I stole, which is like all of them (I modified the energy ball, cube, button, added cake), who made what between Mateo and CKH4?
The only ones left that mateo didn't change are the box and the surfaces (walls/floors and portal surfaces). Well those and the energy ball, but you changed it enough so that I think that you can consider it your own.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement