I guess I am making this forum post just for my questions about everything. Kerm said in Chauronslilsis's forum post that he wants beginners to a language to make their own forum post for all of their questions.
So, here I am! Very Happy

Question:
Does the getkey function still work when you have an input command? I have a program that requires inputs the whole time and I want to make a way to quit it.
Answer: No, the only way that you might be able to do this is to write your own input routine. Sorry! Sad
You can't use getKey while using Input, but I think you can quit a program that's using Input by just pressing 2nd+QUIT (or ON, like you can with most programs).
JosJuice wrote:
You can't use getKey while using Input, but I think you can quit a program that's using Input by just pressing 2nd+QUIT (or ON, like you can with most programs).
The exception to using [2nd][QUIT] with Input and Prompt is programs running under Doors CS and Doors CSE. Quitting from Input and Prompt can be slightly dangerous from an OS standpoint, and I feel that users may not expect [2nd][quit] to end a TI-BASIC program, so Doors CS blocks [2nd][QUIT] from Input and Prompt.

Unicorn: The two common alternatives are (1) allow the user to enter a special value to quit (like 0 or 9999), or (2) Implement the Input yourself, using getKey to read things like the letter or number keys. The latter is cleaner, but much more work.
Ok, so like an If command?
Example:
Input B
If B=-1
Then
Return
Unicorn wrote:
Ok, so like an If command?
Example:
Input B
If B=-1
Then
Return
Exactly the idea. The only thing wrong with that is that you should leave out the Then. You can have If followed by a single command, or If / Then / (multiple commands) / End.
I didn't know that.
So, another question.
What is a hybrid program?
Hybrid means it is a program written with both basic and DCS libs. See the SDK section of dcs.cemetech.net
Thanks!
I am writing a program that I want to have a time limit on. Like the person running it can't access a certain part of the program for 3 days after he does something. Would I have to use one of the clock commands? Or, would I have to use variables.
Unicorn wrote:
Thanks!
I am writing a program that I want to have a time limit on. Like the person running it can't access a certain part of the program for 3 days after he does something. Would I have to use one of the clock commands? Or, would I have to use variables.
A combination of the two. You'd probably use the time and date functions together with a custom-named list, which would hold the time and date of the first time the user did the thing. Of course, it's hardly foolproof; the clever user could figure out how it worked and change the contents of the list.
KermMartian wrote:
Unicorn wrote:
Thanks!
A combination of the two. You'd probably use the time and date functions together with a custom-named list, which would hold the time and date of the first time the user did the thing. Of course, it's hardly foolproof; the clever user could figure out how it worked and change the contents of the list.

One can also easily change the date and time.
KermMartian wrote:

couldn't the checkTmr( method be used to find the time since a set starting point as well? or am i using it incorrectly?
CalcGuy123 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

couldn't the checkTmr( method be used to find the time since a set starting point as well? or am i using it incorrectly?

Nope, that is correct; you can use this. Smile It just returns the number of seconds though, which is pretty easy to convert.
Is there any reason why Celtic 2 CSE isn't working on my calc? When I run it Doors has that little hourglass icon then it goes back to the Doors homescreen. Did I not install it correctly?
Unicorn wrote:
Is there any reason why Celtic 2 CSE isn't working on my calc? When I run it Doors has that little hourglass icon then it goes back to the Doors homescreen. Did I not install it correctly?

what exactly were you trying to run?
Unicorn wrote:
Celtic 2 CSE used to be an external library, but is now integrated into Doors CSE 8. You no longer need to have the separate library on your calculator.
OK, so since this is a post about beginners, I guess I'll start. Now I have a couple of questions:
1) I am almost finished with a port of Smash Bros. for the TI-84+ CSE (got that right this time). It runs on the home screen, but it appears to lag greatly. I kind of fixed this by having the characters only refresh if they move, but the CPU always moves. How do I reduce this lag?
2) How do you turn off the LCD using Assembly codes? I saw a "BacklightOff" command, but obviously that's not in the Catalog. Is there an alternative to this and where is the "BacklightOff" command?
3) How do I integrate multiplayer into Smash Bros? Can I use the getCalc( command, and hwo to I assume who is player 1 and 2?

Thank you in advance, and I indeed have attempted these on my own. Smile[/youtube]
1) Some code might help...
2) There is no command for this, but there are some assembly codes that you can run. Let me see if I can write one really quick. Smile
3) Good luck with that, the time for communication over the link ports in basic is too slow and not very well implemented to do something of this degree. Not sure if DoorCSE has any linking routines as of yet...
KermMartian wrote:
Unicorn wrote:
Celtic 2 CSE used to be an external library, but is now integrated into Doors CSE 8. You no longer need to have the separate library on your calculator.

Sorry, but that didn't really make any sense to me. Are you telling me that it is part of Doors CSE 8? If so, how could I access it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours