So, this wasn't my idea, but elfprince pointed out it would be a little more helpful for me and for you guys to help me so I'm doing it.
I've been going through the TIBasicDev wiki tutorial starter kit (thank you aeTIos) and I've learned quite a bit. I'm getting more into it and it makes sense but, yeah, I've got a couple questions.
As I go on in my journey to learn all the things, I will be posting my questions here to avoid any forum cluttering of threads (that's just me being sensitive about everything since I'm very forum shy) because, quite frankly, 90% of my questions are basically going to be "what's this?", "why doesn't this work?", and "how do I do this?"
As of this point (thread start date), I have gone through the first 3 sections of the starter kit thing. I've tried to do the exercises they've given and so far I think I've been somewhat successful. So here are my questions as of the start of this thread:

1. In the maze program they lay out, is there a way to make it so that once you finish the maze it goes to a new one, and, if so, how?
2. AeTIos gave me a little exercise to do: make a program where when you enter X and Y it shows that pixel on the graph screen (I'm paraphrasing). I got the first part of that, but I don't know how to make it show the graph screen. I made a program to test out dispGraph (it was literally just that one line) and it just showed a blank screen (didn't get an error or anything), so unless I'm missing something (which is most likely the case x.x ) I'm stuck.
3. How come you can't type "[A]" (not including quotes) and you have to get it from the matrix menu for it to work?

If you guys want to help with specific questions, please maybe quote the question or type the appropriate number because I'm very easily confused (as you can probably see from the formation of this thread). Also if this is in the wrong place then I'm very very sorry please move it.
Good to see you created a thread for your questions Very Happy
Quote:
2. AeTIos gave me a little exercise to do: make a program where when you enter X and Y it shows that pixel on the graph screen (I'm paraphrasing). I got the first part of that, but I don't know how to make it show the graph screen. I made a program to test out dispGraph (it was literally just that one line) and it just showed a blank screen (didn't get an error or anything), so unless I'm missing something (which is most likely the case x.x ) I'm stuck.

*cough* you messed up my name ._. Also, try to pause the program at the graph screen. You can't just let it exit because it'll return to the home screen.
Quote:
How come you can't type "[A]" (not including quotes) and you have to get it from the matrix menu for it to work?

[A] is a so-called "token": It has a certain value for the program that executes TI-Basic, for example 10. Now, [,A,] have entirely different values, imagine 13,45,14. I think you understand why [A] means something really different on calc than [ A ] Wink
Chauronslilsis wrote:
As I go on in my journey to learn all the things, I will be posting my questions here to avoid any forum cluttering of threads (that's just me being sensitive about everything since I'm very forum shy) because, quite frankly, 90% of my questions are basically going to be "what's this?", "why doesn't this work?", and "how do I do this?"
That's exactly what we usually ask beginners in a language to do! Thank you for anticipating this.

Quote:
1. In the maze program they lay out, is there a way to make it so that once you finish the maze it goes to a new one, and, if so, how?
Undoubtedly. I don't have the code in front of me, but there are several options. One is to place a label (Lbl) at the beginning of the code that generates a maze, and add a Goto that jumps to that Lbl after the end of the game. If you were trying to repeatedly display a line of text, an admittedly easier task, you could use:
Code:
Lbl A
Disp "SOME TEXT"
Goto A
However, please avoid Lbl and Goto as much as possible. A much better option would be a Repeat loop, described in Chapter 4 of The Book. This same example might look like:
Code:
Repeat Q=0
Disp "SOME TEXT"
Input "AGAIN? (0=NO, 1=YES) ",Q
End
This will repeatedly display a line of text, and then prompt the user for a value for Q, until the user enters 0 for Q. A Repeat loop has a condition that means "Repeat until this condition is true". There's also something called a While loop, which has a condition interpreted "Repeat this loop while this condition is true".
Quote:
AeTIos gave me a little exercise to do: make a program where when you enter X and Y it shows that pixel on the graph screen (I'm paraphrasing). I got the first part of that, but I don't know how to make it show the graph screen. I made a program to test out dispGraph (it was literally just that one line) and it just showed a blank screen (didn't get an error or anything), so unless I'm missing something (which is most likely the case x.x ) I'm stuck.
DispGraph switches to the graphscreen context, but it doesn't make it display anything new that isn't already on the graphscreen. Check out the Pxl/Pt commands in the DRAW menu ([2nd][PRGM]) for some hints on his challenge to you.
Quote:
How come you can't type "[A]" (not including quotes) and you have to get it from the matrix menu for it to work?
TI-BASIC is a tokenized language. This means that each token (like [A] or Disp or " or 3) is easily recognizable by the calculator when it runs your program, and makes it much faster for the calculator to run your program than if it had to recognize that "D" "i" "s" "p" " " was the Disp command.
Quote:
That's exactly what we usually ask beginners in a language to do! Thank you for anticipating this.

Not sure why you have to ask beginners to do that, honestly. It's just what makes sense to me.

Quote:
However, please avoid Lbl and Goto as much as possible. A much better option would be a Repeat loop, described in Chapter 4 of The Book.

Yeah I read that in the tutorial. Repeat still has me a bit confused as I'm not entirely sure how it would be used in the maze situation. This is the maze code I used:

Code:
:[[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1]
  [1,0,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,1,0,0,0,1,1]
  [1,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,1]
  [1,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,1,0,0,1,1,0,1]
  [1,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,1,0,0,1]
  [1,1,0,1,1,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,0,1,1]
  [1,1,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1]
  [1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1]]→[A]
:1→A
:2→B
:For(C,1,8)
:For(D,1,16)
:Output(C,D,sub("_IW",[A](C,D)+1,1))
:End
:Repeat K=21 or [A](A,B)=2
:getKey→K
:If Ans
:Output(A,B,"_")
:sum(ΔList(Ans={25,34}))
:A+Ans([A](A+Ans,B)≠1)→A
:sum(ΔList(K={24,26}))
:B+Ansnot([A](A,B+Ans))→B
:Output(A,Ans,"X")

And another question I just remembered: Not sure if this is possible, but if it is, how do you essentially hotkey an application so you can start it by pressing a button? I'm tired of scrolling through the app menu to find doors. XP
Thanks for the help Very Happy
If I recall correctly, DCS has an ON hook to launch it, I thought it was [ON]+[PRGM]. Correct me if I'm wrong Smile
aeTIos wrote:
If I recall correctly, DCS has an ON hook to launch it, I thought it was [ON]+[PRGM]. Correct me if I'm wrong Smile

WOW! I didn't know that, that's super useful
Glad to help Very Happy
aeTIos wrote:

Yay it worked whooooo
Quote:
*cough* you messed up my name ._.

No I didn't I just capitalized the letter starting the sentence. Sowwie ;-;

Is there a way to put programs on my 83+? It has the little jack cable thing but I can't figure out how to transfer stuff. Would DCS work on it?
There is a cable called a silverlink which works with TI-connnect and Tilp, but they are getting hard to find. You can also connect your 83+ to you 84+(C?)SE with a cable which plugs into both. There are some other styles of cables which you can use but they are pretty much useless nowadays.
Challenge #1 done!

Code:
:Input "X?",X
:Input "Y?",Y
:Pxl-On(X,Y)
:Pause
:ClrDraw

Not sure if it's right but it's what I made that didn't mess up on me XD
Chauronlilsis wrote:
Is there a way to put programs on my 83+? It has the little jack cable thing but I can't figure out how to transfer stuff. Would DCS work on it?
Hooloovoo already answered the linking part of this question. Doors CS works on everything from the TI-83 non-plus, to the TI-83 Plus, to the TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition (and all the Silver Editions in between).

Chauronslilsis wrote:

Code:

Does it do what the spec said? Is it efficient? If so, then it's as "right" as any other solution. The idea of "right"ness is much more vague when applied to programs.
Indeed. I didn't tell you what code to write, I only told you to write a program that asks for X and Y and turns on the corresponding pixel on the graph screen Smile
aeTIos wrote:
Indeed. I didn't tell you what code to write, I only told you to write a program that asks for X and Y and turns on the corresponding pixel on the graph screen Smile

When I first started, I did everything there except pause and clrDraw and for some reason the axes were turned off, so it still looked like the home screen (that's when I start thinking I broke it) and that got me really confused because the pixels showed up. Then I find the format button (thanks notipabot). Derp moment there lol
So I kept running that and running that and the pixels weren't clearing and I wanted it to clear because I hate messes, so I figured out to use clrDraw and when you (aeTIos) gave the hint to pause it I figured I'll put pause then clear then end. For some reason, using end made the entire screen go to some syntax error message so I was like, "oh maybe it's in the wrong order or something."
Then when I moved stuff around (not sure of the order) the axes wouldn't show even though they were technically on. The pixels showed up still, but the screen had this little bubble thing in the top left corner that showed up in the error messages. At that point, I'm like, "Ok, yeah, I borked it badly." so I just removed the extra stuff and stuck with what I knew would work and it works Very Happy I have to admit that was really fun XD
Quote:
Is it efficient?

Not sure if that's what you guys would call "efficient" but it does do what it's supposed to
Challenge #2 accomplished! I think....
aeTIos gave me another challenge to let the user move a pixel around. My first thought when seeing "pixel" was "ok that should mean graph screen." I checked just to be sure and I was correct. So I start reviewing the movement section of the tutorial I'm going through and I'm not seeing anything about the graph screen. I figured the code would be similar to what they showed concerning making an X move around on the home screen, but I couldn't see where the missing pieces were.
Then I find the "Movement Explanation" page and it shows a code for movement on the graph screen. I found the missing links I needed and when i started that program, it had the axes on.
I wanted to make it so that it would turn the axes off during the program then set everything back to normal when it was over. So I started playing with it...and now my calculator won't turn off...gg me....Neutral
So here's the finished product:

Code:
:Zstandard
:104→Xmax
:72→Ymax
:Zinteger
:AxesOff
:1→B
:Repeat K=21
:Line(A,B,A,B,not(K
:min(94,max(0,A+sum(ΔList(K={24,26→A
:min(62,max(0,B+sum(ΔList(K={34,25→B
:ZStandard:AxesOn

I hope I didn't copy too much. I knew basically 70% of that code before I found the page. I tried tweaking the window size, but the pixel wouldn't move so I abandoned that idea.
Just a heads up you can save and revert the graph screen. Use the StoreGDB variable to store this info and RecallGDB to bring it back. It can help if you want to take a break from homework without erasing all your graphs and axis values.
KermMartian wrote:
Chauronlilsis wrote:
Hooloovoo already answered the linking part of this question. Doors CS works on everything from the TI-83 non-plus, to the TI-83 Plus, to the TI-84 Plus and TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition (and all the Silver Editions in between).

Chauronslilsis wrote:

Code:

Does it do what the spec said? Is it efficient? If so, then it's as "right" as any other solution. The idea of "right"ness is much more vague when applied to programs.

Wait, Doors CS Works on The Ti 84+CSE? Even though it is not made for color? Question
Yes, DoorsCS was originally made for the greyscale calcs before the CSE came out. Doors CS 7 runs on greyscale and Doors CS 8 runs on CSE.
Unicorn wrote:
Wait, Doors CS Works on The Ti 84+CSE? Even though it is not made for color? Question

DCS 8 is made for color. The other versions aren't, so they will not run on the CSE.
Anyone know a good place to look for a Hybrid Basic programming tutorial or something?
I want to make a program that makes a moveable sprite and everything I try messes up. I've got the particular sprite made but I don't know where in the code it's supposed to go.
Here's what I have:

Code:
:Zstandard
:104→Xmax
:72→Ymax
:Zinteger
:1→B
:Repeat K=21
:For(C,1,7)
:Text(0,C,sub("}-0-}  ",C,1))
:min(94,max(0,A+sum(ΔList(K={24,26→A
:min(62,max(0,B+sum(ΔList(K={34,25→B

I know I've either left something out or added something in the wrong place...or both...I don't know what I'm doing....Like the sprite? Very Happy
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/Third-Party_BASIC_Libraries_%28Color%29

Here is what I am learning from. It teaches xlibc (for the CSE) and I'm not sure what you're programming on. Hope this helps!

Jack

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours