I want to know what your wish list is for TIOS 5.
Documentation and bug fixes. That's about all I could hope for from TI.
Nothing. No matter what's in our wishlist (even bug fixes), TI will never bother implementing them.
I have one quick question: What exactly is TIOS 5.0?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
I have one quick question: What exactly is TIOS 5.0?
Nothing. I think Ephraim is just trying to imagine what would come after TI-OS 4.2 for the TI-84+CSE, which I think is more likely to be 4.3 or 4.4. I sure wish even some of our bugs would be addressed. Smile I know that the powers that be are aware of them.
But then why didn't they bother fixing some of those bugs in version 4.2, even though they were reported months before OS 4.2 came out?

On top of that, certain bugs present on the CSE have been on the 83+ for almost 15 years now. If they didn't bother fixing bugs that have been around for 15 years, then I can't see how they will bother doing so with bugs less than a year old.
I hope TI-OS 5.0 would make all programs and apps (ASM and TI-Basic) cross-compatible between the TI 83 plus\SE\TI 84 plus\SE\CSE.
That would be nice from a user POV, but due to the different pieces of hardware and the different addresses of software bits (BCALLs) and data structures, that's pretty much not going to happen.
TI could change the b_calls, addresses, and data structures in TI-OS 5.0.
The changes in BCALLs and data structure contents + addresses between the 84+CSE and the monochrome models occurred for a reason: they are consequences of different pieces of hardware require different data structures, and different functions.
In the general case, keeping backwards and forwards compatibility between the 84+CSE and the monochrome models is basically impossible.
Ephraim B wrote:

Not going to happen after they changed them all in the first place to support the color LCD... Confused
I hope TI implements the Doors CSE icons in the program and app menu
As if they were going to pay any kind of attention to third-party formats and usages...
Ephraim B wrote:
I want to know what your wish list is for TIOS 5.

As this doesn't even come close to fitting the scheme of their OS numbering system, and the fact that they don't have that many things they want to add to the 84+ CSE, this is probably never, ever going to happen.

Ephraim B wrote:
I hope TI-OS 5.0 would make all programs and apps (ASM and TI-Basic) cross-compatible between the TI 83 plus\SE\TI 84 plus\SE\CSE.

Seriously? How many times now have we told you how and why this will never, ever be?

Ephraim B wrote:

Ugh, really? REALLY? I don't think you understand how the calculator itself works.

Ephraim B wrote:
I hope TI implements the Doors CSE icons in the program and app menu

No, it would never happen. Their simple number based menus have worked for over a decade on numerous models. They aren't going to change it, or anything, about their CSE calculator OS.

They aren't too worried about the CSE, as they focus a lot more attention on the Nspire line as their flag ship these days.
tifreak8x wrote:
They aren't too worried about the CSE, as they focus a lot more attention on the Nspire line as their flag ship these days.

And with good reason. As bad as the Nspire is for developers, it's really good for math and statistics. Yesterday in lab I was doing a quantitive analysis on Mohr's Salt using a titration with KMnO4 and I didn't want to do all the math by hand nor did I want to wait till I could use SPSS or something like that for analyzing my data. Punched in the numbers in my nspire using the spreadsheet app... Then plotted the data.

Instant confirmation of data Smile
aeTIos wrote:
tifreak8x wrote:

And with good reason. As bad as the Nspire is for developers, it's really good for math and statistics. Yesterday in lab I was doing a quantitive analysis on Mohr's Salt using a titration with KMnO4 and I didn't want to do all the math by hand nor did I want to wait till I could use SPSS or something like that for analyzing my data. Punched in the numbers in my nspire using the spreadsheet app... Then plotted the data.

Instant confirmation of data Smile

You should write up a post explaining more of that in a topic more designated to such things Very Happy I'm sure some of us would love to see that in step by step form Smile
I should indeed. To be honest, the documentation of the apps on the Nspire is terrible, especially the spreadsheet app D: The lack of proper user manual doesn't help, either.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours