I was reading about Alan Kay's vision for a computer as a "Self-Exploratorium", and it occurred to me that perhaps Cemetech (and the general graphing calculator programming community) has similar goals, and is perhaps fulfilling some small part of this vision.

(PDF)

There's also talk about how OOP was developed incorrectly and has had the industry and academics caught in the same rut for the last 40 years which has kind of stomped Kay's vision out of coming to light. Kay's vision was about objects, not classes, as Jim Coplien explains:

Why DCI is the right architecture for right now

Jim Coplien and Trygve Reenskaug came up with DCI as something to help make (OOP) programming readable/understandable/simple/clear again:

Jim Coplien explains DCI

I highly encourage everyone to explore Kay's vision, and DCI. I Believe DCI is just a small stepping stone to push programming back into the direction of being readable and simple; something that perhaps the general public can become literate about.

According to Trygve, DCI blows the following claims about programming (made by the GOF and Dijkstra) out of the water:
- Surely the code will not reveal everything about what the system does (yikes!)
- I have a small brain, so my programs must be simple
- (I forget the last one, but these are mentioned in Trygve's video below)

Trygve on DCI for OO Simplicity

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours