No official release date, as there still is much to do.

KnightOS is made in ASM. If by that you meant "will ASM programs made for the TI-OS work on KnightOS", then the answer is "yes, with a little effort on your side to port it to KnightOS". It really isn't that complicated, as we proved by porting the Periodic app, benryves's Pixel Madness and Patrick Davidson's Phoenix.
Can ASM programs be cross-compatible between ti-os and knightOS?
Nope. As I said, you'll have to have access to the source code and know at least a bit of z80 ASM to have a chance to make a TI-OS ASM program work on KnightOS.
I'm talking about the final release of knightOS when it has linking capabilities if ASM programs can be cross-compatible
I was also talking about that version. TI-OS compatibility is not planned, to an extent: KnightOS provides a bcall hook, that is, a mechanism that allows you to handle TI-OS bcalls as you wish, on a per-program basis. But again, you'll need to have access to the source + knownledge of z80 ASM.
Also, on the topic of release dates, proects likw this don't really get "final" versions. There are already usable builds of KOS available for download, but any features have yet to be implemented.

If you're waiting for the project to have no upcoming features, you'll be waiting a long time. There will always be something to add.
Is ti 84+CSE support planned for z80e emulator? Also will a wabbit generated rom work (because it's emulated)?
CKH4 wrote:
Is ti 84+CSE support planned for z80e emulator? Also will a wabbit generated rom work (because it's emulated)?
I doubt it; to my knowledge the z80e emulator is far from complete. I'm of course biased, but I recommend you using an actively-developed community emulator like jsTIfied or geekboy's WabbitEmu fork instead.
KermMartian wrote:

I doubt it; to my knowledge the z80e emulator is far from complete. I'm of course biased, but I recommend you using an actively-developed community emulator like jsTIfied or geekboy's WabbitEmu fork instead.

Ok thanks, I was talking about when it was finished (still contemplating which calculator to get, the cse seems a bit slow when I've used it).
According to SirCmpwn, support is planned. Here's the specifics:
Quote:
13:28:56 SirCmpwn | the plan is for z80e to be polished and ready for general use alongside the release of kernel 0.7.0
13:29:15 SirCmpwn | the progress of that can be followed here: https://github.com/KnightOS/kernel/milestones
13:30:12 SirCmpwn | "polished and ready" includes at least enough CSE support to run KnightOS, and KnightOS makes heavy use of the color screen's fancier features so that should be pretty well polished
This post has originally been posted by SirCmpwn on TI-Planet and has been crossposted with his permission.

Hello again! We haven't posted any updates since November so there is a lot of news for you:
  • New contributors! We now extend thanks to kedarbramhe, Hugo "s0r00t" Courtial, Francis Lewis, Noah "Ivoah" Rosamilia, Kevin Lange, altbdoor, Justin "Jnesselr" Nesselrotte, Bjorn Neergaard, Willem "willem3141" Sonke, and Andrew Boos!
  • New games have been ported: ports/ztetris (thanks unlimitedbacon!) and ports/rubik (thanks Ivoah!)
  • New software from boos1993: community/progcalc is a programming calculator app that lets you do integer math on KnightOS (thanks boos1993!)
  • community/calendar has been added to the default distribution (thanks willem3141!)
  • We have redesigned knightos.org to be prettier and such (thanks altbdoor!)
  • There is a KnightOS wiki now (thanks boos1993!)
  • Users can upgrade their OS through the settings tool without pulling a battery (thanks, SirCmpwn!)
  • Lots of improvements have been made to PKO (packages.knightos.org) (thanks boos1993!)
  • Date/time support in the kernel is nearing completion, settings has been updated to support it as well (thanks willem3141!)
  • We've started working on calcsys (thanks, SirCmpwn!)
  • Our new assembler/linker, scas, is nearing completion. It will be released as independent software when it matures. (thanks, lots of people!)
  • The castle is maturing, and now lists app manifests from /var/applications/ so you can run any installed app. We've also made /var/castle/pin-{0-9} symbolic links to app manifests, which defines the apps pinned to the home screen. (thanks, SirCmpwn!)
  • We have partially implemented the KIMG format and produced a tool to convert most image formats into KIMG files. (thanks, neersighted!)
  • We have started work on a text editor called "bed" - Basic EDitor. (thanks, lots of people!)

Pretty pictures:

SirCmpwn wrote:
This time around, I'm pretty sure most of the work was NOT done by me, which is a first Smile Thanks everyone!
Couldn't someone interested in this just visit the TI-Planet thread directly? What's the value of crossposting?
Couldn't someone not interested in this just not click the thread? What's the value of your message?
Vijfhoek wrote:
Couldn't someone not interested in this just not click the thread? What's the value of your message?

In case you weren't aware, Nikky/allyfolksjr is our resident/the community troll. He speaks his mind. I suggest you ignore his posts for the most part.

I probably don't speak for most of Cemetech but I enjoy the cross-posts. Thanks for sharing Vijfhoek Smile
Vijfhoek wrote:

It's not nice to reply to a question with more questions of your own!
comicIDIOT wrote:
In case you weren't aware, Nikky/allyfolksjr is our resident/the community troll. He speaks his mind. I suggest you ignore his posts for the most part.

Hunh. Speaking your mind makes you a troll?
I was waiting for the response.
I really gotta start looking at the package archives more often - Ive been staying updated about the latest OS builds, but little else.
KnightOS is very impressive for sure. It will breath a little life into the 83+/84+ after they're obsolete for math, I think.
Bit of a necropost, hope it's okay because this is a bit of an update.

SirCmpwn managed to add support for the TI-keyboard ($10 on Amazon); here's a quote from CodeWalrus

Quote:
That's right! TI Keyboard support, baby. I started by implementing the TI link protocol, and then decoding packets from the keyboard to pull out scancodes. I made a generic interface from the kernel to expose raw scancodes to userspace from any sort of keyboard as well. The old keypad driver is still in place and hasn't been moved to this model, but I expect to change that fairly soon and move most of the keyboard handling to userspace (this will allow us to do things like support USB keyboards with whatever non-English keymap you prefer, for example). I hardcoded the TI Keyboard's keymap into corelib so that the getCharacterInput function would return ASCII characters from the keyboard. This means that any userspace app that already took text input now supports the keyboard with no changes (no need to recompile, either). It's not done yet, but it's pretty good. Also, this forced me to establish partial link protocol support in the kernel, which is a good head start for eventually implementing file transfers from PCs to calcs.

You can find the most relevant GitHub commit here https://github.com/KnightOS/kernel/commit/794b1557f32861b2fced33ae3f69318293bc3ed7

While the keyboard itself isn't necessarily big news, hopefully, by this time tomorrow you'll be able to transfer files (I/O) to your calculator (as opposed to re-building KOS everytime you want to modify something).

Also, I've been working on KnightOS's C library (libc). Hopefully, there will soon be 'feature' parody with the kernel. C is generally easier than z80 asm, so hopefully this will allow more people to create KOS programs. You can find pong, a demo project showing C support in KnightOS, here: https://github.com/sircmpwn/pong.

A longer webm version of the GIF above can be found here: https://sr.ht/S8qX.webm
A cool experiment SirC threw together today to test I/O is available here: https://sr.ht/Nm-7.mp4

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 27 of 29
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours