People say all the time to never have an RPG as their first ASM project.
Well, seems like I'm attempting it anyways Wink
Already got the move engine pretty much settled down and a lot of thinking behind the battle engine (I only have to start coding!)

So yeah, here's a screenie:

You can download it here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/461/46161.html
I'd have to say that looks like a pretty solid start there! Keep up the awesome work! I hope you'll keep us appraised of your progress Smile
People do say that indeed, since it's easy to get frustrated by huge first projects and abandon a new language like assembly entirely. On the other hand, you seem to be doing superb work here so far! What grayscale library are you using for this?
I ripped the Dispgraphrr from axe for this.
Looking forward to progress on this! This was one of my Fav RPGs full stop back in the day, and I would love to see it in a slightly more stable and speedier format!
CDI wrote:
Looking forward to progress on this! This was one of my Fav RPGs full stop back in the day, and I would love to see it in a slightly more stable and speedier format!
Thanks!

So yeah, I already did quite some more work, work that is hard to show. The one that'd be easiest to show is fixing the bug that reuben flickers when pushing a box.
And the other work is adding a whole bunch of maps, and, more importantly, already added quite some calculation needed for the battle engine.
EDIT: Oh, and like, a LOT of thinking of how the battle engine works internally, drafting my thoughts in txt files and stuff.
Time to battle!
Coolio! It would look better if a firebolt thingy shoots out during the battle.
Also show the opponents HP
Lookin good Smile
Yeah I haven't made animations yet Wink
I always love a good RPG - looking pretty cool Sorunome!
APotato wrote:
Lookin good Smile
Like this?

Wink

And I don't show the opponents HP on purpose, makes it harder Wink
Closed beta is now open!

I'm doing it the same as last time, I just don't like the idea of my unfinished software floating around the webs that may even ram clear your calc.

Anyways, I programmed in the story, only tested it with battle engine disabled, but I am positive that it is working Smile

So, what to do to partake in this beta? Hit me up with a PM! I'll provide you a download link, it is ONLY ONE APP this time!!!

To run it you'll need at least 37 bytes of free ram......i doubt anybodys ram is too full.

Controls:
Arrows: move
MODE: stats menu
DEL: exit
2ND: interact

During battle:
Left: Attack
Up: Magic
Right: Run
Down: Item

Magic Menu:
Left: Heal
Up: Ice
Right: Bolt
Down: Fire

I hope you enjoy and keep bugs reported Smile
Sorunome wrote:
APotato wrote:
Lookin good Smile
Like this?

Wink

And I don't show the opponents HP on purpose, makes it harder Wink

Its beautiful! Very Happy Looks amazing, I love the shake cam
Sorunome wrote:
I'm doing it the same as last time, I just don't like the idea of my unfinished software floating around the webs that may even ram clear your calc.
That's reasonable, and I'll certainly be doing lots of testing in jsTIfied. I shall report both positive and negative results of my testing.
Thanks guys!

Also, for known bugs: http://reubenquest.net/r2_todo.html
RC1 is out now, again, just hit me with a PM ^.^
Screenshot comparison of both hybrid BASIC and ASM versions of the game:

Note that WabbitEmu has troubles running the ASM version properly, though and it's much faster on a real calculator. And obviously the original game has text issues during the intro because I used a Mathprint OS.
Sorunome wrote:
RC1 is out now, again, just hit me with a PM ^.^
Would you consider uploading to the Beta folder here, since it's in a Release Candidate state? I definitely want to try out this new version to see the changes since the beta, and I'm lazy. Smile

DJ_O: You say Wabbit has trouble with it; was jsTIfied any better?
jsTIfied emulates the game perfectly. However, it looks like this:

Sad
It works fine in wabbit if you emulate 83+SE

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours