So me and Iambian have been working on projects and one of our biggest issues has been keeping everything even remotely documented.

So I whipped up this python script to parse specially formatted comments and spit out a text file containing all the information in a slightly organized fashion. In an attempt to force us to at least put some kind of documentation down.

Also supports Spitting out a to do file.

I plan on making it support some kinda HTML output at some point. But I have yet to figure out how I want to do that. (CHMs would be nice but google failed me Sad)

Python Script :
https://bitbucket.org/Geekboy1011/pythonz80doc
Sounds very handy, I think I remember Timendus(?) coming up with something similar. You would put info before your routines and it would spit out a HTML file with it organised.
Thats pretty much the plan and I remember someone working on something similar before. I just have to figure out how to do the html stuff Very Happy
I came up with a system based on Spasm macros:

Code:

#ifdef REGENERATE_DOCUMENTATION
#macro documentSection(text)
   .echo >>   microsRoutines.txt   "\n\n================================================================================\n"
   .echo >>   microsRoutines.txt   "======= ", text, " =======\n"
   .echo >>   microsRoutines.txt   "================================================================================\n"
#endmacro
#macro documentRoutine(text)
   .echo >>   microsRoutines.txt   "\n------- ", text, " -------\n"
#endmacro
#macro document(text)
   .echo >>   microsRoutines.txt   text, "\n"
#endmacro
; This regex replaces comments with document()
; Find: \r\n; ([^(\r\n)]+)   Replace: \r\ndocument\("$1"\)
; This regex replaces labels followed by document() with the label and documentRoutine()
; Find: \r\n(\w*):\r\ndocument\(   Replace: \r\n$1:\r\ndocumentRoutine\("$1"\)\r\ndocument\(
; Reset document.
.echo >   microsRoutines.txt   "MICROS SYSTEM ROUTINES DOCUMENTATION\n"
#else
#macro documentSection(text)
   ; Do nothing.
#endmacro
#macro documentRoutine(text)
   ; Do nothing.
#endmacro
#macro document(text)
   ; Do nothing.
#endmacro
#endif

documentSection("KEYBOARD")
document("It might be nice to have a GetString routine at some point.  Whatever.")

;------ GetAscii ---------------------------------------------------------------
GetAscii:
documentRoutine("GetAscii")
document("Gets a single key press, with modifiers from shiftFlags processed.  2nd and")
document("Alpha flags are reset, unless alpha-lock is enabled, in which case only 2nd is")
document("reset.")
document("Inputs:")
document(" - inputerFlags")
document("Outputs:")
document(" - ASCII char in B, might be a control char")
document(" - D: Shift flags")
document(" - E: inputerFlags")
document("Destroys:")
document(" - Pretty much everything, most likely.")

Output:

Code:

================================================================================
======= KEYBOARD =======
================================================================================
It might be nice to have a GetString routine at some point.  Whatever.

------- GetAscii -------
Gets a single key press, with modifiers from shiftFlags processed.  2nd and
Alpha flags are reset, unless alpha-lock is enabled, in which case only 2nd is
reset.
Inputs:
 - inputerFlags
Outputs:
 - ASCII char in B, might be a control char
 - D: Shift flags
 - E: inputerFlags
Destroys:
 - Pretty much everything, most likely.
I actually went to move that exact stuff over to brass and well brass doesn't support writing data out to files Sad hence why I wrote this Smile

So that was pretty much inspiration Razz
tr1p1ea wrote:
Sounds very handy, I think I remember Timendus(?) coming up with something similar. You would put info before your routines and it would spit out a HTML file with it organised.

Timendus and I both have versions of this that we implemented for Vera. His was more comprehensive, but mine is available here: http://sfgp.cemetech.net/?page=z80asmdoc
The link for yours leads to a 404 on my system Sad
And yeah I saw that and decided I still wanted my own Razz but that's just be being picky
Huh, apparently I deleted the source from my site at some point, I'll have to re-upload that =(

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours