Thanks both of you ^^

Also, UPDATE

First update with source code since I think they will be no more changes to what's already done, "only" additions. Which means that if you contribute, I should never tell you "sorry, it doesn't work with the new update, start over".
Do not compile and publish this under your name. TI Planet, Omnimaga and Cemetech know that I am the one who wrote this. However, nothing prevents you from adding things to the code, publish your work on one of those three forums and you'll be added to the credits section when it's done.
If you want to play around with it, compile with the latest Axe dev build. I am not kidding, "official" releases won't manage to compile it.
And once again, don't comment on the lack of optimization, it is made on purpose so that people can play around with it.

Apart from that, what's new ?
Still nothing.
More seriously:
  • You no longer need 4 versions. You have one app that lets you choose between Link/Local then lets you choose the character and loads it from an appvar (however, there's only Fox for now and the app is forced to load him, even if you made a Marth appvar and chose it) then lets you choose the map (this time, you really choose).
  • A sprite was having problems in the left FireFox causing some QR code to appear (you know what I mean). If you see other QR codes (or if you have any problem in fact), please report it.
  • They key system has been rewritten. It stills sends and gets one byte (8 bits) but now supports the 14 keys I need, and not just 8. This is the kind of changes that "prevented me" from giving the source since it could have killed compatibilities with characters.
  • The character selection menu no longers list weird appvars. I did not see that bug before the last release since it only appears when you launch the game a second time and I only make my tests on a freshly resetted emu -.-
  • RAM occupation has been rethought to support more characters/items. This was the other change that could have provoked incompatibilities.
  • The "connection initialization protocol" has been rewritten too, based on Runer's idea. It should now never fail as long as you follow those simple rules: both calcs must be in the Link/Local menu when you press 2nd on the first one and you must not press on 2nd at the same time on both calcs.
As I said previously, nothingreally new for the user, but I can tell you this was still very annoying to do, and I think people will be happy with those changes.

SMASH:
SMASHH --definitions and such, making code a lot more readable, also used for Fox and Maps.
SMASHC --the big part of the code.
SMASHC2 --routines that I put outside of the main program due to RAM limitations when compiling.
DEORG --say thanks to matref for this appvar.

FOX (will be made more readable using more macros from SMASHH):
FOX

MAPS:
MAP1 --Stadium-like
MAP2 --Stadium-like but with rectangles only
MAP3 --New Pork City, if you want a slow map with a weird camera and even weirder collisions

UTILITARY:
Use this to generate appvars. Basically, to make Fox, compile Fox as NoShell, compile this utilitary as what you want, then launch it and you should have an appvar. It works for maps too. However, it only works with my Fox and maps, if you want it it to work with your appvars, just edit it it should be easy.
PROG2APP

If I forgot something (like a file), please tell me.

Also, would it be possible to have a subforum or something for this ? I'd like to make a tutorial (two actually, one in Axe and one in Asm) explaining how to make characters, and how to make maps but I don't want posts to be lost in that topic, and I don't want new topics to be lost in the forum either, but I have absolutely no idea how this works on Cemetech.
Hayleia wrote:
Also, would it be possible to have a subforum or something for this?

Yes! This looks really promising, and we're all pretty excited, so I've promoted it to a Member Feature. You know have your own subforum. Congrats Very Happy
This looks really good, Looking forward for other chars/items/levels of intense battle!
Several questions:
Do you have an estimated time frame for when we'll be able to load our own characters?

Has the character format changed at all since you last posted it, and might it be possible to get a more specificationy-specification for those of us who don't speak Axe but are quite content with Assembly?
You are so bad at reading posts...
Hayleia wrote:
I'd like to make a tutorial (two actually, one in Axe and one in Asm) explaining how to make characters, and how to make maps.
merthsoft wrote:
You are so bad at reading posts...
Hayleia wrote:
I'd like to make a tutorial (two actually, one in Axe and one in Asm) explaining how to make characters, and how to make maps.

Apparently.
merthsoft wrote:
Hayleia wrote:
Also, would it be possible to have a subforum or something for this?

Yes! This looks really promising, and we're all pretty excited, so I've promoted it to a Member Feature. You know have your own subforum. Congrats Very Happy

Wow thanks, and that was a fast answer Surprised

elfprince13 wrote:
Several questions:
Do you have an estimated time frame for when we'll be able to load our own characters?

I just need to make a dummy character or even why not a real one to test if the character selection menu really works. But nothing prevents you from starting them before the menu is done (but maybe after the tutorial is done).

elfprince13 wrote:
Has the character format changed at all since you last posted it, and might it be possible to get a more specificationy-specification for those of us who don't speak Axe but are quite content with Assembly?

It has changed yes, the keycodes are not the same. Other than that, it's the same.
And I'll first make an Axe tutorial because I know how to do it and I can provide samples from Fox, then I'll make an Asm tutorial because I think it is actually easier than Axe for this purpose, but same as for the character menu selection, I need to make a dummy character too to make sure the tutorial works.
If you're already going to be making another character for tutorial showing, you could start a poll up to see what character to go with? Very Happy That way, the game will at least start with 2 characters, and be even more popular. Very Happy
tifreak8x wrote:
If you're already going to be making another character for tutorial showing, you could start a poll up to see what character to go with? Very Happy That way, the game will at least start with 2 characters, and be even more popular. Very Happy

Well I was thinking that I could make an easy-to-sprite character like Jigglypuff (I hope he is easy to sprite, he seems so) because spriting really is the most annoying part of character creation.
Or something stupid I could do would be to "translate" Fox into Asm. That would make the tutorial come out faster but it would be kind of unproductive in my opinion to have done twice the same character.
Just so you know, I am not doing nothing. For the next "update", I'd like
-to complete SMASHH with some macros to help people make their characters and maps
-to make a smashh.inc with the exact same macros for Asm developpers

You might think that this is easy, but I also want to replace all constants I put in Fox with those macros, then test those macros in Falco too (yeah, as you may have seen in the tutorial, I am making Falco, not Jigglypuff because he is easy to sprite once Fox is done).

And since even with that done, I don't think it's worth an update, I am also working on a menu system.

Here's what it looks like for now:
Falco looks fantastic, though Fox looks like a taller form of Dewott.. haha

When playing solo, will the computer try to fight you at any future point in development? Or is it going to always be 2 human players playing?
tifreak8x wrote:
Falco looks fantastic, though Fox looks like a taller form of Dewott.. haha

Man, I can't unsee now that you said it.

tifreak8x wrote:
When playing solo, will the computer try to fight you at any future point in development? Or is it going to always be 2 human players playing?

It depends. That's one of the reasons why it is open source, people can add what they want. If I ever make an AI for this myself, it will be so dumb you could SD it 4 times in less than 0 seconds. But if anyone more competent in that domain wants to add support for an AI, I am absolutely ok with it.
I am very impressed by this! Keep up the great work! Smile
Thanks ^^

Here's the update I mentionned in the other post.
  • SMASHH has new constants
  • Fox's source is a lot more readable thanks to those new constants (will improve progress on tutorials greatly)
  • A smashh.inc appears, for people who want to create their content using Asm (it contains the same macros as SMASHH)
  • Falco joins the battle ! He can only dash for now but as you probably already know, he is done "in Asm" and will be useful to the Asm tutorial
  • The character selection menu really selects what you choose instead of always loading Fox
  • New menu system (most options do nothing)

Source and binaries.
Nice! Keep it up! What is MAPTEST? Smile
This looks amazing!!! Is there a precompiled download somewhere for it?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Nice! Keep it up! What is MAPTEST? Smile
Thanks Smile
MAPTEST is an attempt at making New Pork City. As its name suggest, it was just a test to see the speed the game would get with a big map but collisions are horrible and the camera doesn't follow characters really well.

16aroth6 wrote:
This looks amazing!!! Is there a precompiled download somewhere for it?
Thanks ^^
And yes, in the zip I linked to there should be a signed app. Except if I made mistakes, it should work (if you have at least one character and one map on your calc(s) obviously).
This is not dead. I just have 3 school projects at the moment so I can't really work on this. And things are not going to be better the coming weeks, they announced another project to start next week -.-

But I still found some time to work on this (when I was fed up with school projects actually) so I have some news, even though not a lot.
I got moving platforms to work !

They should also be able to move vertically and diagonally but don't expect to make complicated patterns with it (even rectangle trajectories don't work except diagonal rectangles if you see what I mean). But since I only tried horizontally and need to make a real map using this (the one I did is just a test, no one can possibly think this is a real map) before releasing.
Nice! this just keeps getting better and better. Smile Do they go vertically as well? Good luck with school; at least Thanksgiving break is a couple weeks away.
Thanks ^^
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Do they go vertically as well?
Well that's what I stated in my post Razz
It should work but I need to do some testing.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
at least Thanksgiving break is a couple weeks away.
Well that's an american thing, we don't have this in France.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours