MayanAztec wrote:
Also what is the purpose of the USB mini-B with proprietary? The only devices that I own that have USB require power from the device connected to like a hard drive. I would imagine that if I connect the calculator to my seagate portable HD I would drain the batteries very fast. Again I have not been able to find any reference to either cable.
To clarify further on this point, the port (like the one on your portable HD) is for connecting to a host like a computer rather than to peripherals like flash drives. The cable with mini B plugs on both ends is for connecting to other calculators to transfer programs, Apps, and files back and forth. As tifreak8x said, the USB port is both for charging the calculator and for transferring files to and from a computer.
Thanks, I am assuming that the connector on the calculator is actually a USB mini-A type. I have never used this type before so I was confused plus I did not know that both mini-A and mini-B were interchangeable. Thanks for the info
KermMartian wrote:
MayanAztec wrote:
Also what is the purpose of the USB mini-B with proprietary? The only devices that I own that have USB require power from the device connected to like a hard drive. I would imagine that if I connect the calculator to my seagate portable HD I would drain the batteries very fast. Again I have not been able to find any reference to either cable.
To clarify further on this point, the port (like the one on your portable HD) is for connecting to a host like a computer rather than to peripherals like flash drives. The cable with mini B plugs on both ends is for connecting to other calculators to transfer programs, Apps, and files back and forth. As tifreak8x said, the USB port is both for charging the calculator and for transferring files to and from a computer.

MayanAztec wrote:
Thanks, I am assuming that the connector on the calculator is actually a USB mini-A type. I have never used this type before so I was confused plus I did not know that both mini-A and mini-B were interchangeable. Thanks for the info

The situation is actually slightly more complicated. A TI-84+ uses a USB OTG mini-AB receptacle. The inter-calculator link cable must still be mini-A on one end and mini-B on the other, because of how the wiring is specified by the USB standard.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours