So the main program is more of a tool then an educational device regardless though it fits

I am making a resistor calculator for the TI84CSE.

A simple mockup. (Resistor will be bigger in the middle as this is a mockup Wink )

You select which band you want to change with ← → then you change its color with ↑ ↓
The value at the bottom will be updated in real time as you change the values.

It will support both 4 and 5 band resistors.

I have been toying with the idea of a quiz mode to fit it more into this category. It obviously won't hurt. But would it really be worth the size on a utility program it will become after the contest?
How about F1-F5 select the band & a popup window for the color, 0-9 on the keyboard?
Can you make purple?

.... wish I thought of it first.
That's a good idea but I feel that would be less intuitive? For me just using the d pad to make all the adjustments makes more sense. Now thinking about it though I will probably be able to code in the ability to "jump" to the appropriate band/color with the suggested keys. Its definitely an idea worth looking into.

And since I am writing this in asm. AFAIK I can use any color the LCD supports so yes purple Razz
Gotta love the topic love I never get!

Anyway more eye candy.

Most of the graphical back end work is done. Now its just tacking on a user interface.

As for the band selection idea GW-Basic had after some thought i plan to include the ability to use F1-5 to select the resistor but you will still have to scroll with dpad to select each color

EDIT:
Oh look we can interface with it!

Edit2:
Added support for the last 2 bands
Added F# key navigation (accidentally left out of screen shot)
Added About Screen

Current Major ToDo: Add keydebouncing. Kinda hard to control as of the moment.

Also is there a bcall to draw text using the Small graph screen font?
That looks really well done so far Smile To be honest, I don't know as much as I'd like to about resistors, so I might be able to find some use in this.
geekboy1011 wrote:
Also is there a bcall to draw text using the Small graph screen font?
Happily, yes: _vputs and _vputmap, just like on the older calculator. Smile Keep up the great work here, and accept my admiration for jumping straight to assembly for this. I wanted to note the third digit band before the multiplier exists for 1% tolerance and lower, while the multiplier directly follows the second digit band for 5% and 10% tolerance.

Slowly getting there. Wow I've come a long way from that mockup.

Have to fix the silver/Gold Multiplier bands They are doing the wrong values for some of the combinations :/
Looks pretty good so far Smile

Other than bug issues, anything else you plan to add to this?
A small text blurb stating each color. A quick select box for each band using F1-F5. And a reference screen containing a resistor chart.
And hey look we have a resistor chart!

Thoughts on it?
Ooh, pretty. Gold and silver look like they're missing omegas in the Mult column though.
That they were fixed was just a simple data miss entry whoops!

Thanks for pointing that out Very Happy

Does anyone think I should use a lighter green? It feels really dark looking at this screen shot
After about a week of fighting with Resistor value simplification. I Fixed it(I hope). And Ended up shrinking the program by a few hundred bytes Razz

Gif has all the current features.

Things That must be done!

-Fix Dat menu bug
    -Add in a text saying current band color.
    -Write readme
    -clean up source code

Optional Features:

-0-9 as hotkeys. Use them to quicky change the resistor band values
    -QuickMenu - Decided against this to much effort to code ^ is faster for all but the %'s

4 more days!
Although you didn't post about it yet (is it a secret?) you seem to have finished off the required items on your to-do list, and presumably made some decisions about the optional features, since you submitted your contest entry. I hope you're strongly considering using 0-9 as hotkeys, because that would give you some semblance of value->colors to complement the colors->value feature.
I most definitely was not keeping it a secret I just have not had time to post yet! I had a very busy weekend with the extended family :p

Time pending I plan to add the short cuts it's a useful feature and will make it easier to type the values in faster
geekboy1011 wrote:
I most definitely was not keeping it a secret I just have not had time to post yet! I had a very busy weekend with the extended family :p

Time pending I plan to add the short cuts it's a useful feature and will make it easier to type the values in faster
I'm sure you already thought of this, but I recommend that pressing a number key both enter that band value and advance the cursor to the next band.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours