Ever striving for more features and quality, Doors CSE 8, the shell named "Program of the Year" by ticalc.org, is on the cusp of a major new version. Previously, Doors CSE 8 could list and run all of your TI-BASIC and Assembly games and programs. It let you organize your programs into folders, archive, lock, and hide them. It gave you extra features like an enhanced TI-BASIC editor, a clock, lowercase letters, and much more. Nearly eight months after Doors CSE 8.0 was released to the public, this Release Candidate adds new features, new optimizations, and better stability. It fixes a few subtle but frustrating bugs, one of which took nearly a month of debugging and OS reverse-engineering to track down. The biggest new feature is the frequently-requested ability to list and run Applications (Apps), along with a host of smaller features and new xLIBC library functions.

This is a Release Candidate, meaning that it's a preview of what the final Doors CSE 8.1 will look like. Cemetech's members have been very helpful in reporting bugs to be fixed in this version, and I ask that they continue the proud tradition of testing this Release Candidate to make sure it's stable for the general public. Please try out Doors CSE 8.1, run all of your programs with it, explore all of its features, and please submit both positive and negative comments and reports. Let me know about features that you find to function well, programs that work with Doors CSE 8.0, and of course also emphasize anything that breaks. In your bug reports, please include step-by-step directions to replicate your problems.

An important note: As this is a release candidate and likely contains bugs, it launches with a large warning message. Please do not distribute it to your friends yet; a final Doors CSE 8.1 will be available for that soon, as barring any major problems, this will be the last release candidate before the final 8.1 release. Without further ado, download and enjoy!

Download
Doors CSE 8.1 Release Candidate 1

There is an issue with this. when I ran my pokemon app and pressed on the red text changed to blue.
Also if you scroll down too much and scroll up once it displays nothing so you have to exit..
dreamdragon wrote:
There is an issue with this. when I ran my pokemon app and pressed on the red text changed to blue.
Also if you scroll down too much and scroll up once it displays nothing so you have to exit..
Is this Pokemon app available either in the Cemetech Archives or on ticalc.org? If not, please email it to me. What red text? Scroll down where?
If you have more than 1 page of items on the desktop, go to the end of the listing, then on the last item, press right, it takes you to page 1, sometimes with an empty desktop and no cursor, other times with a page that only shows 8 items of random names. But pressing up and down between first and last item works fine.
tifreak8x wrote:
If you have more than 1 page of items on the desktop, go to the end of the listing, then on the last item, press right, it takes you to page 1, sometimes with an empty desktop and no cursor, other times with a page that only shows 8 items of random names. But pressing up and down between first and last item works fine.
Thank you for the report; I have repaired this. A ld hl,(progptr) got lost somehow when I was adding the scrolling behavior for the Apps folder. I will probably update the version in the Archives and make a note that Build 1518 and higher have this fix.

Edit: The RC1 link in the first post points to the new version. Build 1517 and below have the bug; Build 1518 and above have the fix. Please ensure that you have Build 1518 or higher before reporting any scrolling bugs.
*downloads*

Can't wait to experiment with some of the xLIBC features. I'll of course report bugs if I find any Smile
Thanks Kerm! I previously had a bug where if I go from the first page to the last page by pressing up I would encounter a blank desktop sceen where I could move the cursor anywhere. I pressed another button and a single program with a bunch of garbage characters appeared in the program name that stretched across the entire screen. I had to reset the calculator with the button.
Also, while trying to reproduce this error, I encountered a 504 System Error.

I believe that all of this is fixed now because I can no longer duplicate tifreak's bug.
Thanks for the quick update to patch that. I'll do some more testing with it tomorrow. Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
Thanks for the quick update to patch that. I'll do some more testing with it tomorrow. Smile
I really appreciate the help, and I look forward to all the bugs or non-bugs you may find.

Electromagnet8 wrote:
Thanks Kerm! I previously had a bug where if I go from the first page to the last page by pressing up I would encounter a blank desktop sceen where I could move the cursor anywhere. I pressed another button and a single program with a bunch of garbage characters appeared in the program name that stretched across the entire screen. I had to reset the calculator with the button.
Also, while trying to reproduce this error, I encountered a 504 System Error.
That does indeed sound like the bug that tifreak8x reported, repaired in Build 1518.

Quote:
I believe that all of this is fixed now because I can no longer duplicate tifreak's bug.
Great, I think it might be as well.

Unfortunately, I discovered another bug based on something Electromagnet mentioned on SAX: creating a program named θPRGM with contents Ans→X hides the program from Doors CSE, as it should, but the DCSE cursor behaves as if there's an extra program there. Hovering the cursor in the "blank" space makes the InfoPop for θPRGM appear.
As Kerm said, I have been able to capture a screenshot of the bug in action. In addition to what has been already said, if there are two or more θ named programs with Ans->X as the first line, one of the programs will read as an Assembly program.
Electromagnet8 wrote:
As Kerm said, I have been able to capture a screenshot of the bug in action. In addition to what has been already said, if there are two or more θ named programs with Ans->X as the first line, one of the programs will read as an Assembly program.
Thanks for the extra screenshot. I believe that this issue is also fixed now, thanks to a jump that got optimized out accidentally when I was refactoring the code to handle hidden programs. Please let me know if you'd be willing to double-check Build 1520 to make sure it is indeed gone. I tried making prgmMHIDE, prgmθTEST, and prgmθHIDE, all starting with Ans or rand, then moved programs between folders, scrolled around, and tried making InfoPops appear and programs run. Nothing crashed. Before, creating prgmMHIDE as a hidden program caused a crash while displaying the first page of programs.
Bugs that I have encountered (build 1517):
- Upon installing, one folder and its contents decided to disappear, but the programs were still accessible from outside of Doors.
- The Apps folder refused to show up until I unchecked the apps folder option, exit the menu, and check it again.
- After quitting TI-Boy apps, the colors are all messed up (what is supposed to be red shows as blue) and Doors is sped up considerably.
I would be glad to check the new build.
Also, it was previously discovered that sometimes the statistics tests had garbage in their input fields. They look like this:
Electromagnet8 wrote:
I would be glad to check the new build.
Also, it was previously discovered that sometimes the statistics tests had garbage in their input fields. They look like this:
This is not repaired in Release Candidate 1, builds 1517 and above? I thought I had fixed this issue.
I did a full memory reset and restored all of my programs before I installed the DCSE 8.1 RC1. I opened the statistics tests up once and I saw issue. I will keep trying to trigger this rare bug.

Edit: I just triggered this four times in a row.
1) RAM clear
2) Open DoorsCSE through Apps.
3) Run a program. (I ran Jezzball.)
4) Quit out of the program
5) Quit out of DoorsCSE using Clear.
6) Run a statistics test.

Here's a screenshot:
And how is it that nobody mentioned anything in the thread about the mysterious AoE2 app shown in the screenies? Is this just another tease, or is there actual progress finally on this?
KermMartian wrote:
Electromagnet8 wrote:
Thanks for the extra screenshot. I believe that this issue is also fixed now, thanks to a jump that got optimized out accidentally when I was refactoring the code to handle hidden programs. Please let me know if you'd be willing to double-check Build 1520 to make sure it is indeed gone. ...

This has indeed been repaired. I can no longer jump to an empty program slot in Build 1520.
Electromagnet8 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Electromagnet8 wrote:
Thanks for the extra screenshot. I believe that this issue is also fixed now, thanks to a jump that got optimized out accidentally when I was refactoring the code to handle hidden programs. Please let me know if you'd be willing to double-check Build 1520 to make sure it is indeed gone. ...

This has indeed been repaired. I can no longer jump to an empty program slot in Build 1520.
Thanks again for making sure that was fixed.

CalcGuy123 wrote:
- Upon installing, one folder and its contents decided to disappear, but the programs were still accessible from outside of Doors.
- The Apps folder refused to show up until I unchecked the apps folder option, exit the menu, and check it again.
These two bugs are related. You had a folder #2 with the previous version of Doors CSE, but in 8.1, folder #2 is reserved for the Apps folder, just as in every version of Doors CS and CSE after 5.0, folder #1 is reserved for the special "Main" folder. I have partially repaired this by forcing Doors CSE to only create folders starting at #3 when you choose to create a new folder on the desktop. However, I don't yet have a fix for when you upgrade from pre-8.1 and already have a folder #2. I will probably just do the following: if the AppVar is being upgraded (DCSE 8.1 has a larger settings AppVar), Doors CSE will check for and delete a Folder #2, if it exists. The user will have to re-create the folder and re-store its contents, but I'm okay with that.

CalcGuy123 wrote:
- After quitting TI-Boy apps, the colors are all messed up (what is supposed to be red shows as blue) and Doors is sped up considerably.
Turns out that TI-Boy doesn't reset the LCD mode when it quits. Doors CSE now makes sure the LCD mode is sane when it starts.

Electromagnet8 wrote:
I did a full memory reset and restored all of my programs before I installed the DCSE 8.1 RC1. I opened the statistics tests up once and I saw issue. I will keep trying to trigger this rare bug.
Apparently res statsValid,(iy+statsFlags) isn't enough to repair this, which is what I had been doing. Added a bcall to _DelRes appears to do the trick. Thanks for checking this.
AHelper wrote:
And how is it that nobody mentioned anything in the thread about the mysterious AoE2 app shown in the screenies? Is this just another tease, or is there actual progress finally on this?

With tr1p1ea's isometric tilemapper and also the evident size shown in the screenshot, perhaps the rumors are true.
KermMartian wrote:
CalcGuy123 wrote:
These two bugs are related. You had a folder #2 with the previous version of Doors CSE, but in 8.1, folder #2 is reserved for the Apps folder, just as in every version of Doors CS and CSE after 5.0, folder #1 is reserved for the special "Main" folder. I have partially repaired this by forcing Doors CSE to only create folders starting at #3 when you choose to create a new folder on the desktop. However, I don't yet have a fix for when you upgrade from pre-8.1 and already have a folder #2. I will probably just do the following: if the AppVar is being upgraded (DCSE 8.1 has a larger settings AppVar), Doors CSE will check for and delete a Folder #2, if it exists. The user will have to re-create the folder and re-store its contents, but I'm okay with that.
I claimed I was going to punt on this, but I ended up putting in the effort and fixing this the right way. If you have a folder #2 when you upgrade Doors CSE 8.0 to Doors CSE 8.1, it will renumber that folder out of the way of the new Apps folder, then move all of the programs from the old folder into the renumbered folder, so the user won't have to re-sort the programs. I made this decision after realizing that every DCSE 8.0 user with at least one folder would be affected if I didn't add this, which is a pretty big effect surface.

I currently have no pending bugs to fix. Please let me know if you find more, or I will release RC2.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours