Hey, so I just got back from the store, where I bought this:

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for what I should do first. I would love a small project with a tutorial just to get the lay of the land.
I know NOTHING about electronics other than how to wire up a light bulb to a AA battery, so any helpful guides on this stuff to get started would be great. I would also love to find a tutorial on how to code the damn thing. I don't think is exactly the same syntax as an Arduino but here's some example code cause I may be wrong (please tell me if I am). Also if you have any of you have any ideas for any components that might be useful, as well as cheap starter kits, please tell me (And yes I do know that should get a bread board, but I only had $25 to play with).

Code:

CON

_CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL16X
  _CLKFREQ = 80_000_000

OBJ

Buttons          : "Touch Buttons"

PUB Main

Buttons.start(_CLKFREQ / 100)                         ' Launch the touch buttons driver sampling 100 times a second
  dira[23..16]~~                                        ' Set the LEDs as outputs
  repeat
    outa[23..16] := Buttons.State                       ' Light the LEDs when touching the corresponding buttons

A Propeller is not an Arduino clone at all; it's a much different microcontroller. One of the great things about a Propeller is that as the front of the package proclaims, it has a number of different cores that can execute code truly simultaneously. The Parallax website seems to have a tool and set of examples to let you program the Propeller and show you a few sample projects.
Thank you Kerm. Do you have any ideas for starter projects that I could do?
spud2451 wrote:
Thank you Kerm. Do you have any ideas for starter projects that I could do?
Yes, the ones that Propeller has in that set of examples that I linked to. That would be an excellent place to start.
Flashing an LED on and off is the standard first microcontroller project.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours