Welcome to POKEFACT, a recreation of the Pokemon Emerald Battle Factory experience for the graphing calculator. The objective of the game is to battle your way through the ranks of the Battle Factory, swap for more powerful pokemon, and achieve the highest win streak you can get. The game features 108 types of pokemon, 434 movesets, 179 different moves, 52 unique abilities, and 28 items. I've tried to mimic the original as closely as possible, but I might add more pokemon + movesets if it makes the game more fun.

POKEFACT is just about 95% complete, I just need to polish the rough edges of the program, add a few more moves, port to ION/DCS, and work on making a stronger AI.

Screenshots:

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/boikjzixopvv1zz/POKEFACT.zip

To play POKEFACT:
* download / extract the POKEFACT zip file
* upload the PKMNDATA, PKMNPICB (optional), and PKMNPICF (optional) programs to the Archive memory of your calculator
* upload the POKEFACT program to the RAM / Archive memory of your calculator
* run your shell of choice (Mirage | DCS), and select POKEFACT from the main folder

Controls:
* d-pad for navigation
* [2nd] and [Alpha] work just like A and B, respectively, on the Gameboy
* Quit to exit the program anytime

Any feedback / complaints / bug reports would be greatly appreciated.

Update: POKEFACT has now been released - you can download the program (with source code) from here or here.
The only thing i can say is that if this comes out to be what im thinking of-you are definitely not a newbie-also btw the avg user has to change their contrast to see
Dang! This is a great piece of work. You have a huge amount of respect in my book now.
Wow! This is absolutely fantastic! I am really impressed! Do you think that you will submit it to the archives? Smile I love the gray scale and all of the different options. Keep up the great work! Do you have any other things you have been working on? Wink
Yackback wrote:
The only thing i can say is that if this comes out to be what im thinking of-you are definitely not a newbie-also btw the avg user has to change their contrast to see

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make the program automatically increase the contrast if it detects that its too low.

ordelore wrote:
Dang! This is a great piece of work. You have a huge amount of respect in my book now.

Thanks! If you think that there are any aspects of POKEFACT that could be improved, please let me know.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
Wow! This is absolutely fantastic! I am really impressed! Do you think that you will submit it to the archives? Smile I love the gray scale and all of the different options. Keep up the great work! Do you have any other things you have been working on? Wink

Yes, I'll definitely submit it to the archives once I'm 100% done with the program. If you're into pokemon ROM randomizers, you can check out my Reasonable Randomizer project: https://code.google.com/p/pokemon-reasonable-randomizer/
Problem 1: I set my contrast to high to see my team's move-now when fighting i cant see my health-or why flamethrower from a ninetales only burned an armaldo EDIT: i just didnt do a **** thing

Good Thing 1: Looks like the AI is pretty smart even for round 1 battle 1. I lost-though I had no idea about hp.

Good thing 2: Nice super-effective vs not very effective.

(I realize you are looking for stuff to improve but I included the good things to tell you not to mess with them.)
Wow this looks incredible! I'll load this on my calc as soon as i get the chance. Is this in Axe? Do you have plans to release the source? And where did you come from that your first post is to present such a huge project?! Confused

I'll give you my impressions when i get it loaded to my calc, thanks for sharing!
chickendude wrote:
Is this in Axe?

Its asm look above chicken.
LAT1OS, big problem. When I use Roar on a ghost, because it is normal it does not affect it. I suggest making a separate type for normal moves that affect everything.
I don't see anywhere in LAT10S' posts that he uses ASM actually and there's no source included, so it could definitively be Axe combined with Runer112's Graylib. However no matter which language this uses, this looks really impressive and elaborate. It's awesome to finally see Pokémon-related calculator games with this much details. Good job so far Smile

EDIT: It appears that a TI-76.Fr/TI-82 Stats/83 version is included, so you were right about ASM (although Persalteas managed to port Jetpack 8x to those calcs before).
On SAX LAT10S said that this was indeed ASM. He plans to release the source after it is 100% completed.
Yackback wrote:
Problem 1: I set my contrast to high to see my team's move-now when fighting i cant see my health-or why flamethrower from a ninetales only burned an armaldo

Good Thing 1: Looks like the AI is pretty smart even for round 1 battle 1. I lost-though I had no idea about hp.

Good thing 2: Nice super-effective vs not very effective.

(I realize you are looking for stuff to improve but I included the good things to tell you not to mess with them.)

You should be fine if you set your contrast to medium (level 5). Yep, the AI is very tough and unforgiving, the game wouldn't be much of a challenge if it wasn't. It's main weakness right now is that it can't use strategies like Alakazam @ Choice Band - Trick / Disable / Psychic / Skill Swap, it'll just spam Psychic until it faints. I plan on scaling the AI in the future, so that on round 1, it'll just use random moves, but by round 5, it will be very difficult to beat.

chickendude wrote:
Wow this looks incredible! I'll load this on my calc as soon as i get the chance. Is this in Axe? Do you have plans to release the source? And where did you come from that your first post is to present such a huge project?! Confused

I'll give you my impressions when i get it loaded to my calc, thanks for sharing!

It's all coded in z80 assembly. I'm planning on releasing the source code when I'm 100% done with the game (hopefully by the end of the summer).

Yackback wrote:
LAT1OS, big problem. When I use Roar on a ghost, because it is normal it does not affect it. I suggest making a separate type for normal moves that affect everything.

Huh, I never knew about that particular mechanic, thanks for informing me. I'll be sure to add a conditional that allows Roar to work on ghost-types.

DJ_O wrote:
I don't see anywhere in LAT10S' posts that he uses ASM actually and there's no source included, so it could definitively be Axe combined with Runer112's Graylib. However no matter which language this uses, this looks really impressive and elaborate. It's awesome to finally see Pokémon-related calculator games with this much details. Good job so far Smile

EDIT: It appears that a TI-76.Fr/TI-82 Stats/83 version is included, so you were right about ASM (although Persalteas managed to port Jetpack 8x to those calcs before).

Thanks, DJ_O. Just to be clear, I'm using assembly only.

Also, I haven't made a TI-83 version yet. I don't think I've ever heard of the TI-76.Fr or TI-82 Stats calculators before, let alone tested on them. The TI-83 native programs that you're seeing contain the front / back sprite data for the pokemon.
Very nice job on this! I am impressed that you got this much done on your own without consulting the community's ASM programmers and without yielding to the temptation to show off your ambitious work in progress. Out of curiosity, what assembler are you using (relevant especially for a cleaner way to deal with that binary data and sprite data)? Also, I notice you unfortunately recommend MirageOS in your description; have you taken a look at Doors CS?
KermMartian wrote:
Very nice job on this! I am impressed that you got this much done on your own without consulting the community's ASM programmers and without yielding to the temptation to show off your ambitious work in progress. Out of curiosity, what assembler are you using (relevant especially for a cleaner way to deal with that binary data and sprite data)? Also, I notice you unfortunately recommend MirageOS in your description; have you taken a look at Doors CS?

A little egocentric there Kerm?
KermMartian wrote:

Thank you, Kerm. I'm using the Brass assembler (Its obsolete, but I'm hoping that someday Latenite will be updated to support Brass 3). All of the binary and sprite data uses the .db directive, if that's what you wanted to know. I plan on porting the game to DCS in the future, don't worry Smile Also, if I recall correctly, Doors can run Mirage programs, so I think it should be DCS-compatible.
Well this is fantastic, and way waaaaay better than my pokemon battler XD

I notice you're using faint, scaled-down versions of the Emerald sprites. Would they look better if they were re-drawn?

Feel free to use any of my spritework if it helps

LAT10S wrote:
Also, I haven't made a TI-83 version yet. I don't think I've ever heard of the TI-76.Fr or TI-82 Stats calculators before, let alone tested on them. The TI-83 native programs that you're seeing contain the front / back sprite data for the pokemon.
Actually, it appears you might have unintentionally created a 83 version, because the zip file has two 83p files. 83p = 83 and 8xp = 83+/84+/84+SE.

As for the TI-82 Stats it's identical to the 83 and the 76.Fr ASM architecture is supposedly the same, but the TI-OS has fewer BASIC commands and features.
JoeYoung wrote:
Well this is fantastic, and way waaaaay better than my pokemon battler XD

I notice you're using faint, scaled-down versions of the Emerald sprites. Would they look better if they were re-drawn?

Feel free to use any of my spritework if it helps

Oh, I wouldn't say that, haha. I think the fact that your Stadium program is coded entirely in TI-BASIC is an impressive feat. It's probably more of a challenge than the straightforward, assembly approach.

You are correct, the sprites were scaled down from the original Emerald sprites, using a python script. I don't think it would be a good use of time to draw all 108 front and back sprites by hand, but I'll probably redraw the sprites that were poorly rendered (like the Golem in the screenshot gif).

DJ_O wrote:
Actually, it appears you might have unintentionally created a 83 version, because the zip file has two 83p files. 83p = 83 and 8xp = 83+/84+/84+SE.

As for the TI-82 Stats it's identical to the 83 and the 76.Fr ASM architecture is supposedly the same, but the TI-OS has fewer BASIC commands and features.

Unfortunately, I don't have a TI-83 version yet. Those two 83p files contain the sprite data for the pokemon (POKEPICB holds the back sprites, POKEPICF holds the front sprites). It doesn't really matter whether its an 83p or 8xp file, anyway, since it just contains blobs of binary data.

That's interesting, I never knew about that. I guess you learn something new every day, right? Smile
For the sprites, you can use the ones you can find when looking at your party in Emerald.

I think they are small enough to fit in the screen area you reserved for them.

That doesn't solve the problem of your Pokemon in battle (the one that is not facing you) but it solves the problem of the opponent Pokemon and can also be useful everytime you have to choose a Pokemon.
KermMartian wrote:

I beta-tested it on DCS 7 it didn't work so i got mirageos and it only works on mirageos. In dcs7 it crashes when you start a battle.

On a side note, LAT10S, you shouldn't apply something to change contrast like you sad in the SAX-make the actual text always in black or white on a black background not white on a light gray background.
LAT10S wrote:

DJ_O wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't have a TI-83 version yet. Those two 83p files contain the sprite data for the pokemon (POKEPICB holds the back sprites, POKEPICF holds the front sprites). It doesn't really matter whether its an 83p or 8xp file, anyway, since it just contains blobs of binary data.

That's interesting, I never knew about that. I guess you learn something new every day, right? Smile
Ah ok thanks for the clarification about the presence of those 83p files. As for the 82 Stats, basically, the 83 was discontinued in 2000, but then in 2004, TI re-released it in France under the new 82 Stats name then later in its French incarnation as the 82 Stats.Fr. Most France models are getting renamed since then, such as the 84+SE now being the TI-83 Plus.Fr USB and the TI-83 Plus being the TI-82 Plus and there are rumors about the color 84+ being called TI-83 CE in France in 2015.

Yackback wrote:
On a side note, LAT10S, you shouldn't apply something to change contrast like you sad in the SAX-make the actual text always in black or white on a black background not white on a light gray background.
If you mean that the game uses its own contrast settings, you could simply do like in Reuben Quest series and let the user choose his default contrast setting at the start of the game or just use the currently set calculator contrast as default value. That way, if there is any animation involving contrast, the default contrast will always return to the user settings.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours