Do you like Space?
yes
 84%  [ 11 ]
no
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

From the STEM behind Hollywood page on TI's website. I would probably start out in Basic, then move on to Axe.
I'm in SPAAAAAAAAACE. I support this idea very fully. Do you have a TI-Nspire so you would be able to see what the original is like? Since you're talking about Axe, do you intend to give this a try in monochrome?
I have an Nspire, pure basic to start on an 84+SE. I have the beginning sequence ready, even. Just need to get the simulation part set up and the rest will be easy.
Space-bump

Here's what I have done so far.
I hope you keep up this momentum; it looks like you're already getting a good framework for the program in place to build the physics on top of. Do you have a plan for how you're going to lay out the whole program, or are you putting it together piecemeal?
I'm coding this in the order that it appears on the Nspire's document. Thank you for the continued support! Smile
Just finished the whole framework for the code. My checklist for things to do now 1) Get the answers onto a PDF and 2) To rework the simulation code.
It's a little over 24 hours, so I can post a bump.
I've finished the answers to the questions. All I can't remember is the equation for parabolic motion. Its something like -16x^2 + bx + c.
ordelore wrote:
It's a little over 24 hours, so I can post a bump.
I've finished the answers to the questions. All I can't remember is the equation for parabolic motion. Its something like -16x^2 + bx + c.
Wat? Do you mean yf = y0 + v0t + 0.5at2, where a = -9.8m/s2?
From what I remember,
-16x^2x is the first part for reasons I don't know
bx has something to do with velocity.
c is starting height.

This is algebra 1 stuff, and don't blindly give me formulas. Explain them also so that I know what they mean.
Both ordelore's and Kerm's equations are correct. However, ordelore is using standard feet for the constant of gravity while Kerm is using metric.
y=0.5ax²+bx+c, where a is the constant for gravity, b is the initial velocity, and c is the initial height.
Ah, so that means that I had the correct equation in the first place. Thank you also, Kerm, for teaching me serendipitously a new equation.
Isn't the projectile motion equation parametric?

x = (v*cos(_theta_))t + x0
y = -(1/2)g*t^2 + (v*sin(_theta_))t + y0
ordelore wrote:
This is algebra 1 stuff, and don't blindly give me formulas. Explain them also so that I know what they mean.
It's your contest entry; I'm trying to push you in the right direction so you can learn some new stuff while you teach others. Wikipedia is a good place to start on this topic.
My one thing left to do is to pretty up the simulation code. Very Happy
Here's some advice, kids: When debugging, check how many times you call variables before you come up with extreme workarounds.
Are you still working on this contest entry, ordelore? I will be very interested to see it working, since having z80 versions of the STEM Behind Hollywood activities is something that is near and dear to my heart. It sounded like you were making good progress initially, but it's been over a month since your last update.
Until I can solve my issues with my parents, I will have to withdraw from the contest.
I'm sorry to hear that. If you end up not being able to enter the contest with this particular project, I encourage you to throw your source to another community programmer to continue the project (I for one would be happy to finish it).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours