Instead of working on my Maze game, I got an idea for an education program that I wanted to play with: A chord trainer.
Here're some screenshots:

Clef selection

Guessing tests

Accidentals (I'm not so sure about the natural--I'll have to keep working on that)

The idea would be that it generates a random chord, and you guess at what chord it is. Probably won't get much more complicated than major, minor, diminished, augmented, various 7ths, and first/second inversions.

Other things I'd like to add are a key signature quizzer and a reverse chord trainer (I ask for the chord, the user draws it). A chord dictionary is also likely a good idea, since I'll have all the data anyway.

Also, I'm thinking I should make a guitar chord dictionary at some point, too.

Anyway, I'm not sure how far I'll get with this, just wanted to post it.
This seems like an extremely cool idea, not to mention a creative use of the higher-resolution screen. As someone stumbling into the very first steps of learning guitar, I feel like this would be good for translating my existing knowledge of reading music to guitar, as well as a handy reference.
This is awesome, coming from a music theory nerd. Now I have a suggestion: if it is possible (And I don't know because I don't have a C), can this also become an ear trainer (As in, can it play back sound through the link port)?
I would be happy to throw the ASM stub for that together if Merthsoft needs, as I already have all the code from mobileTunea and friends.
Very cool Merth! Smile
KermMartian wrote:
This seems like an extremely cool idea, not to mention a creative use of the higher-resolution screen. As someone stumbling into the very first steps of learning guitar, I feel like this would be good for translating my existing knowledge of reading music to guitar, as well as a handy reference.
The guitar chord chart would help, too. In fact, back in high school, that's how I learned guitar Smile

pimathbrainiac wrote:
can this also become an ear trainer (As in, can it play back sound through the link port)?
I thought about that. I'd like to add it in, though that'd probably be a last step.

JamesV wrote:
Very cool Merth! Smile
Thanks! Maybe I should make a drum trainer, too Wink
That's awesome. I have been meaning to learn how to read sheet music so i can learn to play piano. Sadly I do not have a +C but that's still pretty nifty Very Happy
Just a little update. I'm going to include a key signature trainer and a chord trainer. Here's the new menu:

Here's some random key generation:
I just wanted to reiterate how excited I am for this program, especially since I'm working on learning the guitar. I know you've been very busy with life and work and couches, but have you had a chance to poke at this program at all?
KermMartian wrote:
I just wanted to reiterate how excited I am for this program, especially since I'm working on learning the guitar. I know you've been very busy with life and work and couches, but have you had a chance to poke at this program at all?
2.5 month bumpity-bump. I'm very much stumbling along in my attempts to learn guitar, so I'd love to see more about this very promising project. I also feel like it could be a great way to get back into calculator programming if you've gotten away from it recently, Merthsoft. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours