The "Done" message is overwriting the word "YEARS" in the CONVO2 program. Is there anyway to prevent this? I can't find mention of this problem in the book...

On the TI-Basic Developer site, it says if the last text display command is an Output( command, then Done will not be displayed as the program finishes, but only on non-MathPrint OSs (which I have). I used the CLASSIC directive at the beginning of the program and that didn't make a difference. So is there any way around this problem on MP calculators that anyone knows of?
To fix this, you can have this at the end of your program:

Code:
:...code...
:"

It is just a quotation mark.
I would also suggest using display instead of output when possible as that will scroll the screen automatically such that the done will appear below your programs output rather than possibly over writing it.

To Electromagnet8's post, if the last line of your program stores a value to Ans but not a variable it will Display it for you. In this case it is an empty string but it could be a number or real variable or any type of variable that you could Disp on the homescreen.
TheStorm wrote:
I would also suggest using display instead of output when possible as that will scroll the screen automatically such that the done will appear below your programs output rather than possibly over writing it.

To Electromagnet8's post, if the last line of your program stores a value to Ans but not a variable it will Display it for you. In this case it is an empty string but it could be a number or real variable or any type of variable that you could Disp on the homescreen.

Yes, it displays the empty string, but crucially, it displays it instead of "Done." I don't see the logic in this (why it would replace Done as opposed to being printed in addition to Done), but it does indeed work!
ClrHome wrote:
Yes, it displays the empty string, but crucially, it displays it instead of "Done." I don't see the logic in this (why it would replace Done as opposed to being printed in addition to Done), but it does indeed work!

Sometimes this can actually be quite helpful. Say, for example, you have a program that dies some sort of math operation such as the quadratic formula. Smile It would just display the answer instead, which will appear on the home screen, which makes it easier for the user to recall the Ans and use it in another part of their arithmetic. However, it is strange that they would disable the "Done" message as well... Perhaps it just looked nicer?
ClrHome wrote:
The "Done" message is overwriting the word "YEARS" in the CONVO2 program. Is there anyway to prevent this? I can't find mention of this problem in the book...
After the first Disp command, but before the Output command, you can Disp a number of blank lines. This will make the Done message appear further down the screen. Another solution would be to add a Pause command at the end of the program, so that you'd be able to view the unblemished output before Done appeared at all. I have submitted the latter as a correction to my publisher; thanks for pointing this out. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
ClrHome wrote:
After the first Disp command, but before the Output command, you can Disp a number of blank lines. This will make the Done message appear further down the screen. Another solution would be to add a Pause command at the end of the program, so that you'd be able to view the unblemished output before Done appeared at all. I have submitted the latter as a correction to my publisher; thanks for pointing this out. Smile

You're welcome. And thanks to you and everyone for the nice workarounds! Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours