I'm working on a BASIC (and possible other languages?) editor for the CSE!

WIP, and it doesn't edit anything yet, but I can mess with text buffers.

Color themes!

Scrolling with a full screen 26x15 text buffer

Scrolling with a 20x10 text buffer

It runs in half-resolution mode, and uses the 83+/84+ font.
Excellet job! It looks great! I bet the finished product will be very efficient!

Note to self: Optimize and upload your own text editor code
Looks great! I already warned you what I'm going to recommend here, so this shouldn't be a shock: make this a program, and remove the dependency on a RAM page in $4000. You can use the DCSE header flag for half-res mode, and you will have access to all the fun routines. Here's what I can think of that you might be using that RAM for: an edit buffer or a VRAM buffer. For the former, I strongly recommend that you be using the OS routines for edit buffer management in combination with User RAM anyway. For the latter, you can read back from the LCD as necessary.
It's a shame you can't have it intercept tokens, and for commands, it puts them in one color, text in another, etc. :p

Otherwise, looks slick Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Looks great! I already warned you what I'm going to recommend here, so this shouldn't be a shock: make this a program, and remove the dependency on a RAM page in $4000. You can use the DCSE header flag for half-res mode, and you will have access to all the fun routines. Here's what I can think of that you might be using that RAM for: an edit buffer or a VRAM buffer. For the former, I strongly recommend that you be using the OS routines for edit buffer management in combination with User RAM anyway. For the latter, you can read back from the LCD as necessary.

Not sure what you mean be OS routines for edit buffers, but the stuff here
http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=Category:83Plus:BCALLs:By_Name:Edit_Buffer
does not really seem useful. I'm guessing that's not what you're talking about though.

Also, it already is a program, not really sure what not using ram at $4000 gets me though. If I do need DCSE routines I just need to map it back in, although right now I'm only really using it for enabling half-res mode.

As for what I'm using the ram at $4000 for:

Code:

.varloc 4000h, 4000h
.var byte, row
.var byte, col
.var word, fgColor
.var word, bgColor
.var BUF_WIDTH * BUF_HEIGHT, textBuffer
;Some other .var declarartions through the code as well
I'm curious, have there been any updates made to this lately? Smile
Unknownloner wrote:
Not sure what you mean be OS routines for edit buffers, but the stuff here
http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=Category:83Plus:BCALLs:By_Name:Edit_Buffer
does not really seem useful. I'm guessing that's not what you're talking about though.
I doubt those bcalls would be useful, but the concept that they operate on is what I think you might find helpful. When an edit context like Input or the homescreen or a Y= equation is open, the calculator dumps the entire free RAM into a giant variable to be manipulated as you please. When you're done editing, you simply shrink that massive variable to the correct size, and voila, there's your saved data.
Let it be known that unknownloner has posted this to GitHub. It would be really cool if some of us could work on expediting turning this into a full text editor that can open, view, edit, and save AppVars:
https://github.com/unknownloner/TextEdCSE

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours