Alright, it is finally done and as ready as it ever will be for showing. Unlike my previous wooden calculator, this one is functional! It is made of maple (note on the title: "maplen" isn't a word, but is like "oaken", and shows that it's made of maple wood), with buttons of walnut, pine, and others. The key legends are drawn on with an art pigment pen. I do think it looks rather graffiti-like, but I couldn't use it without seeing what the buttons were! I hope next time the legends on the case can be lasered on. The battery door is held in with only two screws, no tabs, and unfortunately they're plastic screws, not wood screws, so they're not ideal for the purpose, but wood screws that tiny are hard to find. And unfortunately, it is glued together; hopefully next time I can figure out a way to screw it together. So if it ever breaks, it will be virtually impossible to fix.

By request of DJ Omnimaga, I think, and TIfreak, here is a video of it in action!
Lets make it go viral Razz

And here are photos (click on the pictures for larger):

A close-up of the buttons themselves:

And the screen:

The back/battery door:

I will be searching for a donor TI-83+/SE for the next one, hopefully even more an advancement over this one as this one was over the last! Also, I will be auctioning this on eBay on June 12, so please consider bidding, and please spread the word that this odd artifact will be for sale! It will be a sort of fundraiser, and will start at $40, $5 shipping, please help it to exceed that Smile
Here is a picture of the time log I made while making it; I actually tracked how long it took to make it.
I really love how much time was spent in this, especially with how the calc can actually be used with that shell and how you even made the keys.
This looks incredible! I do like the wooden finish, especially the keys. Great job! Hopefully you can find a better method to bolt it together. Smile
I'm always a fan of your great woodwork. Great job, Caleb!
Congratulations on the finished product, Caleb; I will definitely be bidding on this for my collection. It is a unique calculator and certainly a feather in the cap of any complete collection.
That does indeed look awesome. Someone will be getting quite the unique calculator Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
That does indeed look awesome. Someone will be getting quite the unique calculator Smile
Definitely! Actually it occurs to me that if I (or Tim or AssemblyBandit or elfprince13) end up winning it, that it will definitely need to join our display of unusual calculators at the World Maker Faire 2014 in September.
I start working mid June. I know I most likely won't win, but I'll try to bid.
Alrighty, it is now available for auction on eBay! Here it is: One Of A Kind Wooden TI-82 Graphing Calculator! It will run for one week. Please tell all your friends/coworkers/teachers who could be interested, and possibly bid. Smile
Here is a crosslink to the Omnimaga topic about it, and here is a crosslink to some Reddit thing - I'm not sure what one does with Reddit.
Sorry, I don't think I can trust the seller yet, they haven't sold more than 10 items.

:p

Good luck to those that bid!
Hope you get it Kerm; DJ Omnimaga is actually the highest bidder at the moment Smile
I'm the highest bidder currently.

Also, I think "Maple" is the correct adjectival form of "Maple" - cf. "Maple Syrup" "Maple Leaves" "Maple Sugar", etc. The only two trees I'm aware with special adjectival forms are oak and ash (see notes on Etymology 4 + Derived Terms).
Ah, quite true, "Maple TI-82" is correct. I just added the "-en" to match the format of my last wooden calculator topic Smile And thanks for bidding!
elfprince13 wrote:
Also, I think "Maple" is the correct adjectival form of "Maple" - cf. "Maple Syrup" "Maple Leaves" "Maple Sugar", etc. The only two trees I'm aware with special adjectival forms are oak and ash (see notes on Etymology 4 + Derived Terms).
Thank you for pointing that out. That "Maplen" in the topic title has been bothering me for quite some time, although it did not occur to me that the simple adjective "maple" was the correct word.
I figured that was just the name Caleb gave to the calc, inspired from the word "maple". It hadn't occurred to me that it was being used as an adjective Wink
chickendude wrote:
I figured that was just the name Caleb gave to the calc, inspired from the word "maple". It hadn't occurred to me that it was being used as an adjective Wink
I had originally assumed it was someone's name before he explained it, but it still bothered me for some reason, because it sounded like map.len() or so. Anyway, the bidding war is continuing on this calculator. I'm confident that whoever wins it, be they Cemetech staff or not, will send us plenty of pictures and a little writeup about it so we can post news on this long-running project's final outcome.
map.len() Ahahaha that doesn't come to the mind first of just anyone! Very Happy And yeah, chickendude's basically correct.
So, there is a lot of bidding going on right now, of which all I am grateful - Kerm, Elfprince, DJ O, and Eeems are all tossing it back and forth, some more than others - but does anyone know who this "maximillion" guy who keeps bidding is? I recognize everyone bidding but him.
I'm winning. neener neener neener.

[edit]

And that didn't last long.
Gotta bid a higher reserve... Just Joking

Currently Eeems is in the lead!
It is now in the final hour of it's current public availability existence.

eBay link

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours