I got an idea to create a Dungeon Looter/Collection game, for both the TI-83(+) and TI-84(+)(CSE) calculators, using the graphscreen without color, and the homescreen for the overworld. The screenshots are taken on a TI-84+CSE, and although they show color, it will not when running it on a TI-83/TI-84+.
The gameplay is focused less on combat and more towards collecting "rare artifacts", and each map has a different difficulty level. Some maps will be more fighting-oriented and others will have to do with puzzles.
All objects and entities are letter/character sprites, since I'm working only with TI-BASIC. All of the menus and some GUIs are on the graphscreen, however.
Download to get the full experience!

►Update July 2014:
The game is done!
To see recent updates on this project and screenshots, click on this link: http://goo.gl/oe7KlT
Also, I just created a Wiki, with a Forum and Developer blog along with many pages: http://source-seekers.wikia.com/wiki/Source_Seekers_Wiki

►Version Info:
If you download version 1.3, you can skip the opening sequence by hitting any key other than Enter or On on the screen that says "A TILDA^3 PRODUCTIONS". I do not recommend so if you haven't seen it, because it's pretty cool and is my logo. Here's the link to the Archives file: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1108

►Coming Soon:
* DLC Packs
*Optimizations

►Images:

Sounds like it could be quite interesting. Since you are constructing this in BASIC, it would be a challenge. Now, it seems like you would like to move at a very rapid pace with this. Hopefully this will become a great program! I clicked on the link, by the way. Smile
Sounds like it will be a fun addition to the ti calcs.

A suggestion, though. Some people have been banned from Omnimaga and can't see files or screenshots, so it's recommended to share those in your posts to reach the maximum amount of audience. Smile Entirely up to you, of course.

Will be looking forward to updates as you have them.
Thanks both of you! I included the link just in case the information will be very outdated or in case you wanted to see the progress updates as they happened, but I will definitetly be keeping up with my updates!
Hello There! Just tried ou 0.8.7 -- Seems to be okay, but I got this weird thing in level 4:

For some reason, now I am an 'L', and I can't go anywhere or use anything... I can only press [DEL] to exit. Any ideas?
That's part of a puzzle that I accidentally broke.
I updated the files of 0.8.7, so reupload that on to your calculator, and it should work again.
(note: Since he is a beta tester, he has access to these versions)
I would be a beta tester, but my TI-Connect computer recently broke, and I have to wait until June.
Eightx84 wrote:
I would be a beta tester, but my TI-Connect computer recently broke, and I have to wait until June.

I appreciate you trying! :P
This game will probably be out by June. If it's not, you can certainly join! You don't even have to have TI-Connect, though, you can just use Tokens and look for potential errors.
I'll test the beta if possible, although I have a TI-83+ and might have to quit if the size exceeds the limit for my calc.

A TI-82 port is feasible and about one-third complete; as in the above screenshot, differing graphscreen fonts cause that text to be too large (note the "D" cut off of "AND") so a little bit of modification there is necessary. Since the code doesn't need to check if it is running on a 84C as a result of cross-calc incompatibility, most strings can be eliminated; this allows for the game content to be portable to the TI-82's limited platform.
princetonlion.tibd wrote:
I'll test the beta if possible, although I have a TI-83+ and might have to quit if the size exceeds the limit for my calc.

Just so you get an idea, 0.8.9 has a total size of 6076 bytes.
In other news, our beta testers are working hard! We're preparing for a release sometime next week!
123outerme wrote:
Eightx84 wrote:

I appreciate you trying! Razz
This game will probably be out by June. If it's not, you can certainly join! You don't even have to have TI-Connect, though, you can just use Tokens and look for potential errors.

I have a mac (with no 3rd-party-program-running privileges) left. And I can't run WabbitEmu on my parent's laptop.

And I have a TI-84+ (no color, too slow)
Eightx84 wrote:
123outerme wrote:
Eightx84 wrote:

I appreciate you trying! Razz

I have a mac (with no 3rd-party-program-running privileges) left. And I can't run WabbitEmu on my parent's laptop.

And I have a TI-84+ (no color, too slow)

If it's not out by June, you can definitely help us.
A small note: from talking to one of the developers, there's a lot of optimization that needs to be done. I suggest talking to some of the more experienced TI-BASIC coders in the community about issues like general structural optimization, removing Goto-based memory leaks, and so on. If you happen to have "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus", the Optimization chapter should also have a few interesting things to learn. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
A small note: from talking to one of the developers, there's a lot of optimization that needs to be done. I suggest talking to some of the more experienced TI-BASIC coders in the community about issues like general structural optimization, removing Goto-based memory leaks, and so on. If you happen to have "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus", the Optimization chapter should also have a few interesting things to learn. Smile

There is some optimization that is going on, but the others are waiting for the game to be finished. Smile
The game is done! I'm putting the download link into the original post right now.
I'm waiting on a few updates to go through on the Archives, and they have important additions and fixes. They will probably be up tomorrow, due to the approval process necessary.
These updates are namely 1.2.1 and 1.2.1 (fixed). I did these things:
*Fixed character blinking in level 7
*Added MirageOS support
*Added some more help text to the Help screen
and then
*Fixed help screen
*bump* How is this project going? Any new levels and contents? I see that you added a MirageOS description; may I recommend adding the hybrid Doors CS-MirageOS header instead?
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* How is this project going? Any new levels and contents? I see that you added a MirageOS description; may I recommend adding the hybrid Doors CS-MirageOS header instead?
Sorry, just saw this! Razz The DLC packs have not been started, but they will be coming soon. Nothing other than that.

DLC packs are not going to be long level packs, due to the time and space that would take. I'm thinking that one will be a few levels introducing a new feature, one will be only boss fights, and there will definitely be more secrets to the overall game.
In an unrelated note, I added a hidden secret to one of the first 4 levels back in 1.2, but forgot to mention it.
I updated the Cemetech Archive version. I have yet to add the DCS-MirageOS hybrid header, but here's the changelog for 1.3:

Changelog V1.3:
*Added secret "delete save" button (on home menu, hit 0)
*Added ingame method of skipping intro sequence (press anything other than On or Enter)
*Actually fixed bug in lvl 9
*Rewrote some text to make sense
*Removed need for having the 5th variable in (list)SSAVE
*Huge code optimizations (10770 -> 10695 bytes, a 75 byte difference)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours