I found a large stack of computer parts in my box at school, and put together a computer. I have an Asus Evo motherboard, Intel Core 2 processor, 4 gigs of ram, a Thermaltake Toughpower Grande PSU, a dual-monitor DVI video card, five hard drives, and a CD drive. I believe the motherboard, processor, ram, video card, and three of the hard drives are from 2007; while the other two hard drives are from 2002 (I think); and the PSU from 2009.
I got the hard drives secondhand with a copy of Windows XP. I tried to install Ubuntu, however it failed. I have used the USB installer (multiple times), with the error message saying that no configuration file was found; while the Wubi install said that there was an error copying files to the disc. What should I do?
have you tried remaking the USB Installer? and, what program did you use to make the USBs bootable?

on the offchance that the issue is not the usb, then perhaps your hard disk has an issue.
It does sound like the issue could be with the hard drive... Have you tried using a different one? You could possibly check the USB by using it on a different computer. Good luck!
I have two USBs. One was made with a 32bit image with the Linux Mint Crate Boot Disc utility, and one was made with a 64bit image with Universal USB Installer. Both failed. The 32bit works on 32bit computers, and the 64bit one I remade twice. It never worked.
As for the hard drives, I have five. Four are IDE, one is SATA. I used the IDE drive.
5 hard drives Shock
Are you trying to specifically install Linux, or any operating system?
what all does the computer do when you turn it on? does the screen show anything?

Out of curiosity, what's the total hard drive space with all of them?
UUI usually doesnt fail, so try using a 32-bit version of it. also, Sata<->IDE doesnt work very well, in my experience, try using the SATA as your main disk and save the IDEs for extra storage.
16aroth6 wrote:
5 hard drives Shock
Are you trying to specifically install Linux, or any operating system?
what all does the computer do when you turn it on? does the screen show anything?

Out of curiosity, what's the total hard drive space with all of them?

Not even 500 gigs. I'm using hardware that dates from 2002-2009.
The computer works fine with what's already installed on it (Windows XP), but I want Linux. Not to mention, the Windows drivers don't support any of my hardware (even networking) while Ubuntu supports it all.

Quote:
UUI usually doesnt fail, so try using a 32-bit version of it. also, Sata<->IDE doesnt work very well, in my experience, try using the SATA as your main disk and save the IDEs for extra storage.

I tried to boot from the SATA. (It also has XP.) No dice.[/quote]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours