From the MoHPC forums, posted by Tim Wessman:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1248.html

Quote:
Beginning with the 2014-15 academic year, the HP Prime graphing calculator is approved for use on College Board tests that allow or require a graphing calculator. These include the PSAT/NMSQT, the SAT, the SAT Subject Tests in Mathematics, and AP Exams in Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, Chemistry, Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C: Mechanics, and Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism. (Note that some tests permit a calculator only on certain parts.)

Permission is granted on the basis of the HP Prime models reviewed by ETS, College Board, and College Board Test Development Committees in mathematics and science. The HP Prime hardware does not include any prohibited feature, including a QWERTY keypad as part of hardware or software, a stylus or pen-input device, or wireless communication capability (without a visible external peripheral used in the context of classroom-directed technology).

Note that this approval begins with the PSAT/NMSQT in October 2014, the SAT and SAT Subject Tests in Mathematics in October 2014, and the AP Exams in May 2015.
Hooray! Thank you bhtooefr for this wonderful news! Now the prime may actually gain a larger userbase, and headway to understanding it will be accelerated! Laughing
That's great! I'll still probably stick with my trust TI-84, however... It is interesting that HP is starting to gain ground in the calculator market!
Thanks very much for cross-posting this! We need to convince Mr. Wessman to come back and share these tidbits with us in person. In the meantime, I have frontpaged this as a news article, "Touchscreen HP Prime Approved for SAT, AP, Others", with the following content:

Quote:
Since the HP Prime was first announced in detail, it has been rumored that the calculator would become the first touchscreen calculator allowed on College Board tests like the SAT, PSAT, and AP exams. We have now received word from HP engineer Tim Wessman that the HP Prime has indeed been approved for these tests. Although the guidelines for the exams expressly forbid only pen- and stylus-based touchscreen devices, this marks the first time that any calculator with a touchscreen has been approved for the College Board's exams. Now that the Prime has broken this barrier, we must wonder whether the Casio Classpad fx-CP400 will be approved soon, and if TI will be announcing a rumored touchscreen TI-Nspire CX model.

Mr. Wessman's full announcement, originally posted on a dedicated HP community, details the exact tests that the HP Prime has been approved for, and when this will go into effect:

Tim Wessman wrote:
Beginning with the 2014-15 academic year, the HP Prime graphing calculator is approved for use on College Board tests that allow or require a graphing calculator. These include the PSAT/NMSQT, the SAT, the SAT Subject Tests in Mathematics, and AP Exams in Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, Chemistry, Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C: Mechanics, and Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism. (Note that some tests permit a calculator only on certain parts.)

Permission is granted on the basis of the HP Prime models reviewed by ETS, College Board, and College Board Test Development Committees in mathematics and science. The HP Prime hardware does not include any prohibited feature, including a QWERTY keypad as part of hardware or software, a stylus or pen-input device, or wireless communication capability (without a visible external peripheral used in the context of classroom-directed technology).

Note that this approval begins with the PSAT/NMSQT in October 2014, the SAT and SAT Subject Tests in Mathematics in October 2014, and the AP Exams in May 2015.
Now I can convince my dad to get me an HP Prime because it's allowed on more tests than my 84+! (?)
Honestly, the hp prime is banned on all international Baccalaureate exams and the act whereas the ti 84 is allowed on virtually every test that a calculator can be used on, granted your course does not prohibit programmable calculators.
I won't trash my 84+, then.
Really, any test that doesn't allow the 84+ won't allow the Prime, because the Prime can do anything the 84+ can do.

And the Prime is banned on any test that bans CAS, including the ACT. The 84+ is not.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't get a Prime, just that the Prime won't do everything you want it to do. (Also, I'll note that despite having a speaker and IR, the College Board allows the 50g, which is my preference over the Prime.)

As far as the ClassPad being exempted... my understanding was that the spirit of the rules against stylus-equipped devices was to prevent practical note-taking on the calculator, similar to the QWERTY ban. The ClassPad is stylus-equipped, and most definitely can note-take. The Prime, having a capsense display, won't be as precise (you get fingertip precision, not fingernail or stylus precision), and therefore doesn't really violate the spirit of that rule.
Oh, and on the topic of the prime, the page from the tools section of the website concerning the prime could have more information added to it, as we know from here: http://www.cemetech.net/projects/techreports/hpprime_datasheet.pdf substantially more information to fill in the "specifications" section.
jetlego wrote:
Oh, and on the topic of the prime, the page from the tools section of the website concerning the prime could have more information added to it, as we know from here: http://www.cemetech.net/projects/techreports/hpprime_datasheet.pdf substantially more information to fill in the "specifications" section.
Thanks! Would you mind helping to pull out the information you think is valid in the form of lists and/or paragraphs so that it can be easily inserted into that page?
FWIW, http://tiplanet.org/hpwiki/index.php?title=HP_Prime and its sub-pages provide various bits of information not contained in the datasheet.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours