Well, I have finally completed my port of The World's Hardest Game to the TI-83/84+ monochrome series. It includes levels from The World's Hardest Game 1.0 and The World's Hardest Game II, and some of my own. It supports circular and rectangular movement, and for those who believe a line is not a rectangle, linear movement. Also, there is a pretty sweet level editor for creating your own to share.

Download: The World's Hardest Game

Here are some screenshots:

By the way, this was written in z80 assembly.

UPDATE: First Release complete!

UPDATE: Finished, into one complete App!

Download: The World's Hardest Game
Looks like it could be fun. What's this programmed in? Does it support external levels?
It does not currently support external levels, but hopefully I can add that fairly easily. The levels are all contained within a separate program, so all that would need to be done is find a way to select a certain level set.

EDIT: Well, I assume that it could actually support external levels without any modification, but only one set at a time could be loaded.
That's great ! It was about time that game was finally ported to calculators in a finished working version (and not just demos of the first level).

Just a suggestion though. Could external levels be stored in appvars rather than programs ? That would avoid wasting lines in the program menu Wink
Hayleia wrote:
That's great ! It was about time that game was finally ported to calculators in a finished working version (and not just demos of the first level).

Just a suggestion though. Could external levels be stored in appvars rather than programs ? That would avoid wasting lines in the program menu Wink

I don't see why not. I believe that I tried to do this earlier, but SPASM does not allow me to create Appvars... Is there a certain argument I need, or a different compiler?
I never tried to make appvars with SPASM. But at worst, you can convert programs into appvars with Axe by compiling and launching this source:

.AA
[prgm<yourprogram>]→°Prg
GetCalc("appv<yourappvar>",<size of your program>)->P
Copy(°Prg,P,<size of your program>)

This is annoying so of course, use another solution if you find one, I was just suggesting in case you don't find anything else.
mateoconlechuga: Appvars or programs, it's the same thing iirc, only the first few bytes are different IIRC.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong!
Just to let you know, your screenshots are broken.
spud2451 wrote:
Just to let you know, your screenshots are broken.
I see them.
(Or maybe you were talking to me, then indeed they are broken).
aeTIos wrote:
mateoconlechuga: Appvars or programs, it's the same thing iirc, only the first few bytes are different IIRC.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong!

Yes, I do believe this is correct. In fact, it is just one byte that shows the difference between the two.
Well, this week I finished making exteral levels a possibility, and also made it so the main game level pack can also be exchanged, if there is ever a need for a new game style. Some small bugs were fixed, and a couple levels made easier. The first release will be tommorow! Sadly, no level editor as of yet, but that can just be released as a seperate program, hopefully later on. Anyway, there will be 30 levels to get through, and it defintely takes practice! If you have never played the flash version, you may believe this game is impossible...
And now it's in the Cemetech Archives, downloadable at the link below. This is pure z80 ASM, not Axe? I'm quite impressed with your ASM coding skills it that is indeed the case. I look forward to playing this, and as far as I know, this is the first time someone has ported this popular Flash game to the calculators.

The World's Hardest Game
KermMartian wrote:
And now it's in the Cemetech Archives, downloadable at the link below. This is pure z80 ASM, not Axe? I'm quite impressed with your ASM coding skills it that is indeed the case. I look forward to playing this, and as far as I know, this is the first time someone has ported this popular Flash game to the calculators.

The World's Hardest Game

Thank you! I actually got my inspiration from Darl181's version, which I thought was pretty impressive, but I wanted to try and make one that played like the original game. There was also one of them on the Casio calculators that looked extremely nice, but not one for the TI 83/84+. This was indeed made in z80, and it certainly taught me a lot!
KermMartian wrote:
And now it's in the Cemetech Archives, downloadable at the [...]and as far as I know, this is the first time someone has ported this popular Flash game to the calculators.
[...]
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5234

Anyways, this is looking quite impressive indeed, great job!
Sorunome wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
And now it's in the Cemetech Archives, downloadable at the [...]and as far as I know, this is the first time someone has ported this popular Flash game to the calculators.
[...]
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5234
That was almost half our topics ago; I don't remember enough detail that far back. Wink I stand corrected, but this is still a very cool implementation.
Yes, it was nearly 4 years ago. Smile
Update!

Now, custom level packs are moving right along! I have finished setting up the loading and saving routines, and the pack creation methods. All that there is left to do is write the actual editor... Shouldn't be too hard to do, just need to figure out the best way to make it user-friendly.

Level Creation/Selection Screenshot:

Suggestions for the editor.

• Placing blocks is not a problem, obviously.
  • Make a "rectangular movement" selector. When this is enabled, ask the user to draw the trajectory by holding a key and moving the cursor, then ask him to place the ball on this trajectory.
  • Make a "circular movement" selector. When this is enabled, ask the user to select a center and a point on the trajectory. This should be enough to calculate the radius
matrefeytontias wrote:
Suggestions for the editor.

• Placing blocks is not a problem, obviously.
  • Make a "rectangular movement" selector. When this is enabled, ask the user to draw the trajectory by holding a key and moving the cursor, then ask him to place the ball on this trajectory.
  • Make a "circular movement" selector. When this is enabled, ask the user to select a center and a point on the trajectory. This should be enough to calculate the radius

Very nice! Thanks! I might try to draw the actual circle as well. Smile
Update!

Well, I have most of the level editor written now, just have to clean up the countless bugs that I know are there, and work on making the enemy placement easier to use. Also, I have to figure out how I am going to save each level when there are multiple to a pack.

Well, here's a screenshot!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours