Look's awesome.
@ti83head: The demo video isn't public and I haven't made a space game yet Mad

@JamesV Are you going to change the video mode to low res or keep it as is? I still think it would be neat to add the cabinet graphics!
ti83head wrote:
I thought (Brian) Assembly Bandit had written this one ? As it is on his website....
Anyway great work - how long does it take to code this ?
AssemblyBandit was kind enough to make a demo video to show progress on the game Smile

I've been working on this for about 4 weeks, but not full time. It'd hard to guess, maybe I've spent around 15 hours on it? I don't work very efficiently lately lol, I'm easily distracted by whatever else is going on around me.

assemblybandit wrote:
@JamesV Are you going to change the video mode to low res or keep it as is? I still think it would be neat to add the cabinet graphics!
It is actually running in low res (160x240) mode already, so eg. a sprite that appears on screen as 16x16, is actually only 8x16 in sprite data (which is actually only 4 bytes per row, as I'm using a 4-bit 16 colour table). So each sprite is 64 bytes in packed form.

Yeah I will be adding some sort of wrap as you previously suggested, and using something inspired from the cabinet graphics is a great idea!

I spent some time working on the game the other night, and I'm part way through implementing the boss levels now. Seeing as the boss is 32x64 in size (64x64 on screen), it's slow to draw, but my sprite routine wasn't as efficient as it could be, and I'm in the middle of rewriting it based on the Pat D's routine in Calcuzap, so that should speed it up a bit! Hopefully I'll have another demo update to post soon. I'm really hoping to get this game finished by late Oct / early Nov! Then I'll be focusing on AB5 v2 which is also slowly progressing in the background Smile
JamesV, since you're turning it into a Doors CSE program, you should consider just calling into the ridiculously-optimized 1-bit, 2-bit, and/or 4-bit sprite routines that Runer112 is working hard on. Smile Assembly: You can tell that it's half-resolution just by running it in jsTIfied and noticing that I haven't implemented half-res mode yet. Wink
I don't know why I remembered it as full res, that doesn't leave a lot of room Sad
KermMartian wrote:
JamesV, since you're turning it into a Doors CSE program, you should consider just calling into the ridiculously-optimized 1-bit, 2-bit, and/or 4-bit sprite routines that Runer112 is working hard on. Smile Assembly: You can tell that it's half-resolution just by running it in jsTIfied and noticing that I haven't implemented half-res mode yet. Wink
Yes I noticed those mentioned in the DCSE8 wiki when I was browsing over it last night, I'll be sure to try them out!

assemblybandit wrote:
I don't know why I remembered it as full res, that doesn't leave a lot of room Sad
True, it doesn't. It won't stop me from trying though! I'm sure there will be something cool to put around the edges anyways Smile
It's only been moving slowly, but Spaze Invaders has seen some more progress. Boss levels are now implemented, and the program has been slightly adjusted to now be a Doors CSE 8.0 program. The game can now be played through all 9 levels, however player collision detection still hasn't been implemented, so it's quite boring. However you can still get an idea of the feel of the game.

I've again updated the demo download to the current build, which you can download here. You will need Doors CSE 8.0 to run this demo.
Thanks for the update, JamesV! I'm glad to hear that this is continuing to progress, and it has been a helpful test program for me. Have you gotten a chance to try out my sprite routines yet and see if they're helpful for your purposes?
It's been quite sometime since an update - the game has recently seen some more progression. The title animation & menu, difficulty levels and a few other small things have been implemented/fixed up.

Looks good Smile And awesome to see you're back with some updates, it has definitely been a while.
As tifreak8x said, it's great to see updates on this project again. Quite a spiffy main menu, if I may say so myself; are you using the Doors CSE 1-bit sprite routines for that?
I have unbelievably fond memories of Spaze Invaders. Glad to see color users will get to enjoy its wonders as well.
Thanks all!

Kerm: I'm not currently using the DCSE8 1-bit sprite routine for the intro, as it has an animation effect (same as Movax's TI-83 version). Though when I get to optimising, I'll be looking into DCSE8's library to see what tools I can make use of that suit my needs Smile
JamesV wrote:
Thanks all!

Kerm: I'm not currently using the DCSE8 1-bit sprite routine for the intro, as it has an animation effect (same as Movax's TI-83 version). Though when I get to optimising, I'll be looking into DCSE8's library to see what tools I can make use of that suit my needs Smile
Awesome! Just to clarify, I was asking out of curiosity, not to pressure you to use them. Wink I see that you also implemented high scores, unless that's a placeholder?
KermMartian wrote:
Awesome! Just to clarify, I was asking out of curiosity, not to pressure you to use them. Wink I see that you also implemented high scores, unless that's a placeholder?

The high score feature is implemented, although it's nothing too special. Just a simple, single high score saved like in Movax's TI-83 version.
Congratulations for releasing this, JamesV! I hope Spaze Invaders becomes one of the classic TI-84+CSE games people must have on their calculators. Smile What do you have next on your agenda with this, if anything? Or do you consider it a nicely-completed project now?
Yay! It's done!
Thanks! Most of the credit is owed to Movax for his original release. Whilst I did hand code it again from scratch, I did re-use most of his original algorithms and just adjusted to suit the 84+CSE.

I haven't got any immediate plans to further develop it, essentially I just wanted to port the TI-83 version across "as is", however maybe down the track I might revisit it and add more.

Next on the list is to get back to AB5 Ep. II and try to make some progress on that! Smile
I'm hoping there are some Alien Breed for the CSE eventually Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
I'm hoping there are some Alien Breed for the CSE eventually Smile

That would be great - and I have thought about it - but I have no idea how to do it and make it run at a playable speed. It just takes so long to update the LCD Sad

The only way I can see it having any chance of being feasible would be to only use a small portion of the screen in half-res mode, and even then it still has to redraw that whole portion when the screen scrolls. That's the downside to the colour screen; instead of drawing 8 pixels with 1 instruction, it takes 2 instructions to write just the 1 pixel.

Not to mention storing the background behind where sprites are being drawn so that it can be redrawn when they move. Either that, or calculating what to redraw from the tileset based on which 1-4 tiles the sprite was over.

In any case, it won't stop me from at least trying one day haha. At worst, I'm sure I could recreate my 15-16 year old TI-Basic "ascii" version of Alien Breed that I did on the TI-83 Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours