I recently got a Motorola Lapdock 100 to use my Raspberry Pi as a laptop. However, whenever I power the lapdock on, it provides power to the Pi but the Lapdock doesn't receive an HDMi signal and so removes the power. I have tried looking at thr Raspbian config.txt files. However, I can't understand what the files mean. If it helps, I am using a NOOBs installed edition of Raspbian. It IS the newest version of Raspbian.

The top connector is USB Male to Micro USB female. The bottom one is a micro HDMI female to HDMI male. The USB is for power, and also for data. HDMI is for the display.
It seems that the Lapdock needs HDMI input to turn on, but the Pi needs an HDMI recipient in order to send HDMI signals.
Bump

The white cord is USB and the black cord is HDMI.
HDMI process as follows: Lapdock male micro HDMI -> Micro HDMI female -> Micro HDMI female -> Micro HDMI male cable -> HDMI Male -> HDMI Female on the Pi. The PI seems to be registering the size of the lapdock's screen but no HDMI wants to be sent out.
I think there's enough time for a 12 hour bump.
I got the lapdock to work by holding the reset button down and powering up the lapdock at the same time!
All that's left to do is to adjust the display options.
ordelore wrote:
I think there's enough time for a 12 hour bump.
I got the lapdock to work by holding the reset button down and powering up the lapdock at the same time!
All that's left to do is to adjust the display options.
Ah, nice job figuring it out. I'd love to see some more zoomed-out pictures of this setup when you get everything adjusted to your liking.
Here's that picture:
That was an interesting catch 22. Depending on the monitor, the config.txt might let you force an HDMI by changing the hdmi flags. (Run opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat to see your display EDID details).
Here's the parts list and tutorial.

Recently, I ave done everything I could to turn my Raspberry Pi Model B into a laptop. After searching through several tutorials, I never could get what they wanted, plus, I was using NOOBS for my OS loader and that doesn't work well with the lapdock. Thanks to my own perserverance and plain stubborness, I have figured out how to get the Pi to work.
Parts list:
Motorola Lapdock (I used the 100 model but I can assume any type will work)
Micro HDMI female to Micro HDMI female adapter
Micro HDMI male to HDMI male
Micro USB female to USB Male
USB Female to USB Male
Raspberry Pi ( I used a model B Rev 2 which means it can be powered by USB)
An SD card with NOOBS installed

1) Connect all the cables to together.
2) Locate the reset button on the bottom. It is a small paper-clip hole. Press that button for ~5 seconds and also press down the power button on the Lapdock.
3) Press and hold the power button on the Lapdock.
4) Screen should turn on and show the gradient for NOOBS.
5) From there install the OSes if necessary.
6) Plug in an external power source to the micro USB slot in the Pi to ride through the loss of power.
7) When the OS is selected, the HDMI output will turn off and so will the Lapdock's HDMI.
Cool Repeat steps 2 and 3.
9) Screen shoould pop up with your OS of choice.
wait, does this setup allow you to use the keyboard of the laptop as well, or only the screen?
Caleb_Hill wrote:
wait, does this setup allow you to use the keyboard of the laptop as well, or only the screen?

Yep, it pretty much turns the Raspberry Pi into a laptop.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours