Hey hangouts works great! Oh wait lets use some random as heck other app just because we hate things that work!
allynfolksjr wrote:
Hey hangouts works great! Oh wait lets use some random as heck other app just because we hate things that work!

We filled up the hangout and no one else could join.
rcfreak0 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

Anything more than 10 gets weird quickly. If you really wanted to, you could just use Hangouts on Air to get read-only viewers.
allynfolksjr wrote:
rcfreak0 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

Anything more than 10 gets weird quickly. If you really wanted to, you could just use Hangouts on Air to get read-only viewers.

That is true, but how would that work for multiple people wanting to screen share or all talk? Other than just using chat.
If you just want audio, each person can invite one other by phone, pushing the max to 20.
Depending on how well OpenMeetings works, maybe use a HCWP night to test it?
AHelper wrote:
Depending on how well OpenMeetings works, maybe use a HCWP night to test it?

That's the idea once we configure it and if people want to test it to see how it hold up vs hangouts for more than 10 people.
If you get anything up and running, poke me as I will be willing to test at any time, not just HCWP day.
Once I reinstall it to not run as root i will gladly poke you Very Happy it has a few quirks I dislike but they are based on how the red5 server needs to handle things. But I will definitely use you as a test subject Very Happy
For clients, is this all web based? I am curious on screen sharing on Linux, the main reason why Hangouts is my choice now.
It's all Web/flash and Java based screen sharing is done via a jnlp application that you download per-session.
*bump* HCWP tonight! I hope we'll have lots of good programming going on; what kind of projects will people be working on? Although I'm buried in work until the end of next week, I'll try to join while I work. A common-sense etiquette reminder (you know who you are): If you have loud background noise, including siblings, family, TV, music, games, etc, or you are planning on talking nonstop about non-HCWP-related topics, please mute yourself.
If i make it on i will be showing off my new soldering station and groveling how my programmer did not show up in time to program my arduino with the lufa boot loader Sad Oh and working on measurements for my drop in pcb mod Very Happy
HCWP consisted of driver writing goodness and Goat Simulator today. I wasn't watching much, just listening in.
And reviving working on the led marquee from last year. Turns out that my entire hardware setup was wrong? I looked at it and redid it all seems right now? We shall see getting the starting code working.
Today we got BrandonW giving us a tech demo on the TI Navigators.
More to come.
Jitsi testing happened on tonight's HCWP.

Since Jitsi itself requires a camera source, certain actions are needed for those without a camera. Dumping my process on Linux for getting around this (the dummy media stream in chrome just keeps and has green pie, this is clearly better):
Code:
git clone https://github.com/umlaeute/v4l2loopback.git v4l2loopback
cd v4l2loopback
make
su -c 'make install && modprobe v4l2loopback'

Optionally, you can stream to the loopback device. Example:

Code:
ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 15 -s 1920x1080 -i :0.0+0,0 -vcodec rawvideo -vf "hflip" -pix_fmt yuv420p -threads 0 -f v4l2 /dev/video0
I presume this means HCWP is switching away from google+ and switching to an open source solution if so that is good.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours