So, I just got a TI-84+ and was wondering if I could interface it with either my Uno or Mega. I've seen the Gossimer browser and CALCnet stuff, and a couple of topics have hinted that you can use the USB port on the 84+ with an Arduino, but I haven't been able to find any information on how to do so. All I have found about the physical connection between calculator and Arduino is the Link port with 83+'s.

I'm not a very good programmer, as my main hobby is studying languages, but I love electronics and am trying to learn more. I got the 84+ partly for school and partly for some assembly programming, but thought it would be fun to see if I could use the calculator as a sort of controller or terminal or something to talk to the Arduino. Smile

So, is it possible to use the USB port to interface with an Arduino? Or do I need some sort of Link cable, using the I/O port?

Thank you very much!
A good place to start would be my Arduino to TI-84+ linking routines, which work with the I/O port on the calculator. That code should give you a start; you can use it with the Silent Linking protocol the calculator supports. I wouldn't recommend starting with the USB port, as it's a pain in the neck on both the Arduino and calculator sides.
KermMartian wrote:
A good place to start would be my Arduino to TI-84+ linking routines, which work with the I/O port on the calculator. That code should give you a start; you can use it with the Silent Linking protocol the calculator supports. I wouldn't recommend starting with the USB port, as it's a pain in the neck on both the Arduino and calculator sides.

Thanks! I am not entirely sure about the physical connection between the calculator and Arduino, though. Would a regular 2.5mm cable work, or do I need the special TI Graph Link cable or something? I mean, do I need any resistors or caps or anything special between the two, or can they just be linked together directly?

For future reference, is there any documentation out there for using the USB port on the calc?
yowann wrote:
Would a regular 2.5mm cable work, or do I need the special TI Graph Link cable or something? I mean, do I need any resistors or caps or anything special between the two, or can they just be linked together directly?
Nothing special about it; electrically the bus is an unremarkable open-collector design. TI's cables are just 2.5mm TRS connector wired together, and that's all you need.

yowann wrote:
For future reference, is there any documentation out there for using the USB port on the calc?
WikiTI is the canonical source for unofficial documentation.
Tari wrote:
Nothing special about it; electrically the bus is an unremarkable open-collector design. TI's cables are just 2.5mm TRS connector wired together, and that's all you need.

Great. Now I just need a 2.5mm TRS cable or adapter then I'll try it out.

Quote:
WikiTI is the canonical source for unofficial documentation.

Thanks. But I was more looking for using the USB port specifically with an Arduino.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours