I am a tradesman (one ticket, but am now working on another), as well as having avid interests in music, computing, history, and electronics. I keep up with trends and new technologies pretty well for an old guy!

I just got a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition calculator (a great deal - the office store was closing that location and they were clearing everything out, so I got it brand-new in the blister pack for half its indicated price), and so far, it reminds me very much of my elderly TI-85 (acquired in 1993), which had gotten me through a 1-1/2-year course in electronics and a Refrigeration-Air Conditioning apprenticeship. As it was getting tired, I decided to buy a new calculator for the school part of another apprenticeship (a new ticket and new challenges: Plumbing & Gasfitting). However, I really miss the unit conversions built into the 85, and found they are not included on the TI-84 unit. I did find an app on the TI website called "Science Tools" which looks to be very similar to the functions in the 85, and tried to download it to the 84, but it doesn't work no matter how hard I have tried.

The Scitools app is supposed to be built into the TI-84 Plus C Silver, but it isn't there. The only apps I had in it were a business one, a math one, and a data-collection one (which I have deleted, since I will probably never use it). I installed TI Connect on my PC (I tried to put it on my Mac as well, but it wouldn't extract and install, so I have to go down to the basement to the PC instead). I dug around on the Net and saw that a shell app called "Doors CSE 8.0" is supposed to work well on the TI-84 PCS (I will abbreviate that from now on), so I installed it and it seems to run all right. I see all my small programs that I have made on the calculator to date in one spot, and can run them from the shell. However, when I try to bring in Scitools, it keeps saying it is an "incompatible type" and won't load. Even after I changed the extension from .8xp to .8xl, it looked like it was transferring, but it still failed to complete every time. I am not doing anything more yet until I can get some help and figure out why I can't get this extremely useful application onto my calculator.

Does anybody know why this is happening? I have considered deleting the 4.0 OS that's in there, and going down to a lower number, but aside from that, I'm not sure where to go from here. I did get a couple of small BASIC programs on unit conversion from TICalc.org, but they are too rudimentary: I could write programs like that myself, but why, when far more powerful prebuilt apps exist (but I just can't make them work!)? The line-and-character-based appearance makes me think of a 12 year-old kid in 1978 in the local college's computer lab, churning out "Hello World" on a DEC dot-matrix printer.

Thanks for any help or suggestions anybody has, and I'm glad to be part of a new forum.
I looked around TI's page, and I couldn't find the app you're talking about for the 84+C. I could find it for the non-color, though. Unfortunately, the non-color app won't work for the color calculator, and I'm guessing that's the one you're trying to send. I think your best bet on the color for unit conversions is going to be tifreak's converter program:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/452/45244.html
furnacedawg wrote:
I am a tradesman (one ticket, but am now working on another), as well as having avid interests in music, computing, history, and electronics. I keep up with trends and new technologies pretty well for an old guy!
Welcome to Cemetech! Feel free to Introduce Yourself in the topic we have for that purpose.

Quote:
However, when I try to bring in Scitools, it keeps saying it is an "incompatible type" and won't load. Even after I changed the extension from .8xp to .8xl, it looked like it was transferring, but it still failed to complete every time. I am not doing anything more yet until I can get some help and figure out why I can't get this extremely useful application onto my calculator.
The SciTools app was written for the monochrome calculators, and monochrome Apps won't work on the TI-84+CSE. Doors CSE is my work, by the way, and I'm glad you find it useful. As Merthsoft said, you should download and install TIFreak8x's Converter program, which incidentally can be run from Doors CSE.

Quote:
Does anybody know why this is happening? I have considered deleting the 4.0 OS that's in there, and going down to a lower number, but aside from that, I'm not sure where to go from here.
You can't; the lower-number OSes are only for the monochrome calculators. OS 4.0 is the only TI-84+CSE OS at the moment.

Quote:
Thanks for any help or suggestions anybody has, and I'm glad to be part of a new forum.
We're happy to help, and great to have you with us. Let us know if you need any TI-BASIC (or other language) programming help, and be sure to show off any cool programs you make yourself.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours