DJ_O wrote:
It's possible, MPoupe. After all, they are the same people who did not know how to play a Youtube video (I am serious!) and the same people who were unable to replicate the Locate bug that early OSes had then took a year or two until finally fixing it.

Remember that the people who are in charge of customer support are hierarchically far away from the people who do OS and hardware development. The people on costumer support are, most probably, just following some scripts, which do not include "instructions" for things such as bug reports.
Additionally, if you contacted Casio America, I believe you're some steps further away from reaching the people who know tech and take care of OS bugs: judging by the fact that OS 2.00 (and possibly the earlier ones too) were released on German Casio sites first, I would say OS development and testing takes place in Casio Europe (located in Germany). This goes in line with the fact that, as far as I know, Casio only very recently started to market more their calculator segment in the USA, with the Prizm.
True, but if the person who answered me (weeks after I sent my bug report) did not even know how to open a Youtube video, then I am surprised that person was even able to type an e-mail, let alone opening an e-mail client or website.
I bought a Casio fx-CG10 a few days ago and have been delighted with the unit. It was running OS v01.03.0200 and I decided to upgrade it today to v02.00.3200 and have to say that I'm fairly intensely annoyed about a subtle change Casio introduced into the way it helps itself to inserting brackets in certain circumstances. For instance, now:
6÷2(2+1)
gets changed to
6÷(2(2+1))
as it responds (correctly) with 1. With the previous OS, the response was still 1, but it didn't change what I'd typed. I don't like being:
a) treated like a numptie
b) it changing my entry

Microsoft Excel & OpenOffice Calc, with the same equation:
6/2(2+1)
report an error and offer to fix it by changing it to:
6/2*(2+1)
This is an even worse solution because this will now result in an answer of 9. So, kudos to Casio for at least modifying the entry to something that doesn't change the result, ie:
6÷2(2+1) is equivalent to 6÷(2(2+1)) = 6÷6 -- which equals 1,
whereas
6÷2x(2+1) is equivalent to 6÷2x3 = 3x3 -- which equals 9.

Incidentally, my trusty (and antique) ol' Sharp EL-5030 (just like the fx-CG10 running OS v01.03.0200) can tell the difference between
6÷2(2+1)
and
6÷2x(2+1)
without making a song 'n' dance about it. Why couldn't Casio have left well enough alone with OS v02.00.3200?

It's a shame, 'cause I'm still leaning towards returning it... I'll need a couple more sleeps to think about it.

Anyway, just letting people know about some of the less obvious changes in OS v02.00.3200.
Labrat wrote:
Anyway, just letting people know about some of the less obvious changes in OS v02.00.3200.

They didn't introduce parentheses completion with OS 2.00, they introduced it with 1.04 (I think) and this was detailed in the changelog. So it's far from a "less obvious" change. And it's actually a good feature since it lets users know how, internally, the calculator interpreted the expression (this can differ from calculator to calculator, and explicitly showing how the parsing is done can help people who are used to other systems). That way, if the parsing is not the desired one, users can easily notice this and fix their input.
The bracket display doesn't alter the result. So I couldn't care less about it.

The calculation sequence priority is detailed on the Prizm's software manual.
Does this happen in the BASIC program editor too? This can be a problem for people who are in dire need of RAM and are optimizing every byte they can from their programs.
gbl08ma wrote:
They didn't introduce parentheses completion with OS 2.00, they introduced it with 1.04 (I think) and this was detailed in the changelog.
Thanks for the info'.

I've decided to write to Casio and explain my dislike of this change in function (and keep the calculator rather than return it). I do like the a thing. A lot. As I said, I'm not happy it's modifying what I entered -- even if it is for the sake of clarity because I kind of feel that people who shell out for these type of calculators understand BODMAS and don't need CASIO making clarification edits. And it is an EDIT, not a completion.

Also, here's an example of where it can be annoying... working with the same entry I pointed out in my previous post, for the sake of simplicity.

You enter
6÷2(2+1)
accidentally. You meant to type in
6÷2x(2+1)
but you don't realise your mistake until you look at the result, which is reading 1 instead of 9. If you were to edit the Casio modified result
6÷(2(2+1))
without paying enough attention, you could potentially change the result to
6÷(2x(2+1))
This would now generate a 1 even though you'd be expecting a 9 because you might not realise that CASIO had modified your entry and that you weren't making the edit you thought you were making, ie
6÷2x(2+1)

This sounds silly with such a simple example, but imagine if the equation was significantly longer. Just sayin'.

Anyway, I'll let Casio know my thoughts....

gbl08ma wrote:
So it's far from a "less obvious" change.
Weeeeeell, I did go looking for the changelog and failed to find it on the Casio site (or in the zip download) ...not that it would have mattered given I'd have been looking for changes introduced in to v2 rather than v1.04... Still, out of curiosity, where did you find the changelog?

gbl08ma wrote:
And it's actually a good feature since it lets users know how, internally, the calculator interpreted the expression (this can differ from calculator to calculator, and explicitly showing how the parsing is done can help people who are used to other systems). That way, if the parsing is not the desired one, users can easily notice this and fix their input.
The bracket display doesn't alter the result. So I couldn't care less about it.
Well, at the expense of repeating myself (sorry!) I don't think there should be any ambiguity. Yet, I guess ambiguity must exist and perhaps even be prevalent which is what prompted Casio to change things between v1.03 and v1.04. Hopefully, they'll write back and lemmee know after I shoot 'em an email.

gbl08ma wrote:
The calculation sequence priority is detailed on the Prizm's software manual.
You are absolutely right. And I think it's nice that they went to the trouble of explaining it in detail rather than just saying BODMAS. Much more user friendly taking the approach they did.
DJ_O wrote:
Does this happen in the BASIC program editor too? This can be a problem for people who are in dire need of RAM and are optimizing every byte they can from their programs.
Good point, but no, it doesn't happen in the BASIC editor.

Executing the one line program:
6÷2(2+1)
results in 1 being displayed and the program not being modified (ie: it's still the same when you go back in to edit mode after executing it).
gbl08ma wrote:
My conclusion about the Prob Sim add-in is that it is powerful, must have have been a lot of work to code and is pointless (except if you want to run simulations to confirm the Prizm PRNG is biased, but no news here).

The vector functions appear to be very useful though, doing many of the things my Eigenmath port already did. From my first observations my idea is that internally, vectors are just matrices with a different name and rules for its dimension.

If all you want is the Russian language add-in, you need not to update to 2.00. It works even on old versions like 1.02.
Add-in languages appear to work by copying them, when an add-in language is selected, to a special portion of the flash, when the user selects an add-in language on the languages menu.

EDIT: I just took a dump of the 2.00 OS, copied the Portuguese language section, pasted it into the Russian.g3l language file at the proper offset, and now I have a working g3l file for the Portuguese language which I can edit to my will :)

Hi gbl08ma, do you mind sharing this Portuguese language g3l - I am trying to figure out the structure of the file and what be the best way to create a new one - I understand 00 separate the messages but have not figured out yet how to adjust positions of the separators themselves i.e how to control the length of the messages etc - by comparing with your version I hoped to understand it better.

Or maybe you could tell me how to create an English copy of the add-in - like where the relevant sections start preferably on os2.02- so that I can dump them using Insight presumably and what offsets etc to mind. Or did you do your OS dump via extract OS from installer dll?

Thanks and kind regards
Figured out a bit more about g3l file format:
offset 1014, 1018 and so on are relative offset addresses of 2nd, 3rd and so on messages relative 335C address in the file. So to control the length of each messages one changes the relative offset values in the starting 1014, 1018, and so on (ie first message is 00 00 00 00 offset as per value at address 1010) - still need to check if FF FF FF FF means message is skipped or something else.

Block 0E9C-0EAB earlier in the file specifies the language name appearing in the list of languages to pick - it does not appear to be possible to extend its length to accommodate more characters (which may be needed once multi-byte local characters are used) without ruining the next range 0EAC-0EBB which specifies "Hello" message on the globe background in the language selection settings - not a big loss but if someone figures out how to both extend the name and not lose this I would like to know please.

Big things I haven't figured out yet is how to get a copy for example of English offsets and messages to make my own version of the g3l file from OS2.02 - so for now Russian offsets and messages OS2.00 is where I can put my changes on not the built-in languages in the current OS.

Any help will be much appreciated.
I got stuck on figuring out what controls where the first message starts in the add-in - maybe it is some value inversed somewhere I'm failing to find.

I also wonder how many versions of Russian.g3l Language add-ins there were? Google seems to refer to version 1.00 and 2.00 of it but I cannot find the actual file to download before current 2.00 version - would somebody here have a copy of the previous version to share with me please.

Many thanks
amazonka wrote:
I got stuck on figuring out what controls where the first message starts in the add-in - maybe it is some value inversed somewhere I'm failing to find.

I also wonder how many versions of Russian.g3l Language add-ins there were? Google seems to refer to version 1.00 and 2.00 of it but I cannot find the actual file to download before current 2.00 version - would somebody here have a copy of the previous version to share with me please.

Many thanks

Did not manage to find other version of language add-ins but managed to clone English one from a dump of OS2.00 and theoretically figured out all the bits in the add-in file now (see my signature below for the download link) so if anyone has questions on this I should be able to help here: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=246566

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours