I think I was one of the last people on the Internet to hear about the stupendously popular smartphone game "Flappy Bird", since I shy away from casual gaming. However, when even a monochrome calculator version appeared in our archive queue, it became clear that the game has completely saturated the collective Internet consciousness. It was with some reluctance that I realized sooner or later it would have to reach the color-screen TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, so it is with rather mixed feelings that I present Flappy Bird Color, an homage to the original game.

What made the original such an overnight success? The concept is not a new one; tunnel/helicopter/jetpack games have been a staple of casual gaming for decades, as evidenced by the folder full of such games for the monochrome TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus. The gameplay is not outstanding, and even the art more than heavily evokes Mario, complete with replicas of warp pipes. Nevertheless, through a combination of addicting frustration and word-of-mouth, it has achieved great notoriety. You pilot a bird through a narrow tunnel of pipe-like obstacles, telling the bird when to fly upwards and when to fall with gravity. Although the concept is simple, playing the game is table-poundingly annoying. While I tried to make this game equally frustrating to pay tribute to its inspiration, please don't smash or damage your calculator, as there are plenty of less frustrating things you could be using your calculator for. Flappy Bird Color requires Doors CSE 8.0 or higher. Please see the Readme for more information and disclaimers, and I apologize in advance for the time that you'll waste playing this game.

Download
Flappy Bird Color for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition

You're not quite the last person because I didn't know what it was until you started! Anyway, I'm sure this will rack up 9001 downloads, and it looks quite pretty! Any animated screenshots?
It's really way better than the version I made myself, and its really fluent. The only thing that's different from the app, is that in the app your momentum gets reset when you hit the screen, but in this version pressing the up button while falling will only brake the fall, requiring you to sometimes press the up button several times to go up. This makes it to require you to have a totally different technique than you need for the app. but its a great app though.
There's also "Flappy Doge" for those interested.
thijmenmees wrote:
The only thing that's different from the app, is that in the app your momentum gets reset when you hit the screen, but in this version pressing the up button while falling will only brake the fall, requiring you to sometimes press the up button several times to go up. This makes it to require you to have a totally different technique than you need for the app. but its a great app though.
Thank you for the feedback. Based on that I have actually changed how the physics works and re-uploaded the game. Would you mind checking it out and giving me your feedback here (and if relevant, I wouldn't argue if you updated your review). Wink

elfprince13 wrote:
You're not quite the last person because I didn't know what it was until you started! Anyway, I'm sure this will rack up 9001 downloads, and it looks quite pretty! Any animated screenshots?
Yes, you could click through to the file page, or just look at it here:

Comic: Yes, qazz42 was having a great time waving that in everyone's face yesterday.
I created a Flappy Bird for Prizm

http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1041

http://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/programmes/voir_un_programme_casio.php?showid=2428&page=4
Lancelot wrote:
And it's extremely impressive! I'll have to take a video of it at some point. You should start a topic in the Casio Prizm subforum, Lancelot. Speaking of videos, I made one of my Flappy Bird Color game:

I'm thinking about creating this for all the other TI calculators. Has this already been done for the TI 83, 84 Plus, 89 Titanium, and Nspire CX CAS?
It has been done for the 83+ so for all 84 models too (including CSE with this one) and for the CX CAS three times (in Lua each time).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours