Are there enough users from the casio, hp, and TI communities combined to start a stack overflow site for calculators?
flyingfisch wrote:
Are there enough users from the casio, hp, and TI communities combined to start a stack overflow site for calculators?
I think something like that is what the current forums are already trying to solve, and I think Omnimaga and Cemetech at least would see a separate community for answering questions as dilution of their missions. I certainly would consider a way to mark answers to topics with questions to make them easier to find in the future here on Cemetech, if that's something people are interested in.
Ah ok, because I find the stack exchange setup more aimed at answering questions than the current forum setups.

Of course, that's all IMHO. Wink
I would like to see something that supports Casio 97xx & 98xx & HP.
Yes, it is a dilution of sorts but I find I am going to other sites to find answers to those specifics. Some of our members hold "dual membership" to other forums anyway but I prefer to stay on Cemetech and would support what ever works best here.
Well, we have our Casio subforum (which needs to be made more general than Prizm), and I've been meaning to at some point making an HP subforum for the Prime and other calculators.

Flying: I agree that it can be hard to find something like an "authoritative" and self-contained answer to a given question on a forum, because forums tend to promote more of a discourse or answers built over several posts and several users. However, I think a significant number of our topics do fit the question-and-single-answer format, even if there are several single answers, so it would be interesting to explore a mechanism to highlight the best of those answers.
I have seen forums that have a button for "this post answered my question", which highlights that particular post.
flyingfisch wrote:
I have seen forums that have a button for "this post answered my question", which highlights that particular post.
That's definitely the sort of thing we need to consider, then. In the indefinite future we are probably going to redo swathes of the site, so I think that's something we need to keep in mind when we select (or build) our new forum software.
If this is added to Cemetech, maybe it could also append "SOLVED:" at the start of the topic title in the thread list and gray out the title, to discourage newer users from necroposting (although that isn't much of an issue over here).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours