A few days ago, I came up with a routine to approximate sine. The short, math version is:
-I converted the 8-bit register digits to a degree 7 polynomial where x=2 returns the correct value.
-I then made another polynomial where the coefficients where 1-ai.
-Then I multiplied these, basically performing z*~z
-Using these as fixed point numbers on [0,1), this is basically z(255/256-z)
-Scaling, this gives a nice approximation of sine.
-For speed purposes, I discarded the lower lower 8 terms, keeping the upper 8.

That was cool and all, but last night I was working on it some more when I realised that if I had taken just the lower terms, I wouldn't have propagation issues to worry about, and it would return -x2-x mod 256.

However, the algorithm I was using, if I initialized the accumulator to x instead of 0, I would get -x2. Naturally, I took advantage of this:

Code:

L_sqrd:
;Input: L
;Output: L*L->A
;159 t-states
;39 bytes
   ld h,l
   ld c,l
   rr h
   sbc a,a
   xor l
   add a,c
   ld c,a
   rl l

rr h
   sbc a,a
   xor l
   and %11111000
   add a,c
   ld c,a
   rl l

rr h
   sbc a,a
   xor l
   and %11100000
   add a,c
   ld c,a
   rl l

ld a,h
   rrca
   xor l   
   and 128
   xor c
   neg
   ret

I am sure it can be optimized further, but it is already 159 t-states. It is only 29 cycles faster than my fastest general 8-bit multiplication routine, but can you imagine this as a circuit? It's kind of pretty cool, I think.

EDIT: I thought of a way to optimize the first iteration. Saved 2 bytes, 8 t-states.
Basically, at the first iteration, C=-1 or C=2L, then I shift L up one bit for the next iteration. I got rid of the initial ld c,a and use the first iteration to compute c. To do this, I just shift L at the beginning, then after the "sbc a,a" I just OR that with L. If a was $FF, the result is FF (which is -1), else it is 2*L:

Code:

L_sqrd:
;Input: L
;Output: L*L->A
;151 t-states
;37 bytes
   ld h,l
;First iteration, get the lowest 3 bits
   sla l
   rrh
   sbc a,a
   or l
;second iteration, get the next 2 bits
   ld c,a
   rr h
   sbc a,a
   xor l
   and $F8
   add a,c
;third iteration, get the next 2 bits
   ld c,a
   sla l
   rr h
   sbc a,a
   xor l
   and $E0
   add a,c
;fourth iteration, get the last bit
   ld c,a
   ld a,l
   add a,a
   rrc h
   xor h
   and $80
   xor c
   neg
   ret

Also, as a note, if you stop at any iteration and perform NEG, you can mask to get the lower bits of the square. So for example, the first iteration gives you -L*L mod 8->A, the second returns -L*L mod 32->A, the third gives it mod 128.
Programming in it's purest form...very neat
Yes - I have considered the logic circuits - but only briefly...then I realsed that Alan Turing & John Von-Neumann occupied a different planet to us. Smile
Thanks, I definitely like programming at this even lower, "fundamental" level. I am sure it goes deeper Smile

Also, I thought of an optimization for the first iteration in class, so I edited my first post (at the bottom).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours