Hello guys/gals, I've looked around a bit at your forum and it seems as though you guys might know what to do about my problem.

The TI-84+ I bought in... 2007 I guess, started becoming unresponsive a year or two ago.
The symptoms are that the buttons takes two presses to even register on the calc, and some combinations like shutting the calc off doesn't work at all so I have to shut it off by removing the batteries.
I don't have a backup-battery anymore because for some reason I decided that it'd be bad to leave it in while I wasn't using the calc for a couple of years (so that it wouldn't break the calc with corrosion or whatever).
Now, I've tried reseting most of everything in the calc (via hard work within the menus), and I've updated the OS.
Nothing of which seems to be the solution for me.

Note:
I'm reposting this problem at this forum because RevSoft recommended me to go here to ask instead.
Have you tried resetting your ram?
Like I stated in the first post, I've reset most of everything.
That includes RAM.
So yes, sadly that's not the problem.
So the problems are only related to pressing buttons? Are things like calculations and programs running at normal speeds?
I think the problem is likely due to "old age" and use. There could be a problem with the hardware that receives the input from your buttons.
JosJuice wrote:
So the problems are only related to pressing buttons? Are things like calculations and programs running at normal speeds?

It's hard to tell, because just getting to running the programs and calculations are a pain.. I'll try..
*trying*
Actually, it seems like you might be correct, although I didn't run a very demanding test (1+1), although it took about two seconds for it to compute, it is probable that it's because it didn't register the button-press until that point..
Have you ever spilled anything on this calculator? These sound like the symptoms of corroded button contacts. We should get you to try BrandonW's remote-control program with a friend's calculator to see if keypresses work close to normal speed then. Does the cursor blink at a normal rate, or does it flash erratically or stay stuck on?
KermMartian wrote:
Have you ever spilled anything on this calculator? These sound like the symptoms of corroded button contacts. We should get you to try BrandonW's remote-control program with a friend's calculator to see if keypresses work close to normal speed then. Does the cursor blink at a normal rate, or does it flash erratically or stay stuck on?

I've never spilled anything on it, no.
The cursor does not blink at a normal rate, it stays stuck on.

EDIT:
I've been trying to connect it to the computer and get a dump from the system (try to save at least something from the calc), but it fails to recognize the cable/port/calc and just says NO.
Then either your link port is stuck low or your ON key is electrically stuck, I believe. Do you have a SilverLink USB to I/O cable by any chance? Without either that or a unit-to-unit I/O (not mini USB) cable, we probably won't be able to narrow it down more.
Ah, I got a mini USB.. That was the only cable I got with the package when I bought it.
EDIT:
Also, that might be why I can't shut it of unless I remove a battery.
The "jammed ON button".
I tried with one of my own calculators under repair, manually shorting out the ON key, and that didn't produce the symptoms you describe. Therefore, I'm quite confident that the I/O port (the round one) is to blame. Are you able to look in it with a bright flashlight and see if anything is stuck in there?
No, can't seem to see anything out of the ordinary in the I/O port..
add wrote:
No, can't seem to see anything out of the ordinary in the I/O port..
Hmm. You said you're not able to send anything to the calculator using TI-Connect and a USB cable? My next suggestion was going to be to try to send CalcSys so we could check the state of the I/O port lines.
I'll have to test this in a bit, running out of time.
I'll test it later, thanks for the help, I'll come back in a couple of hours or so I think.

EDIT:
Now I can test, which part of Calcsys should I run? There are like 10 different options.
I ran the port one and this was the data shown:

Code:
Port Monitor
Port: 00
Dec: 2
Hex: 02
Bin: 00000010

Link

Now, the problem is how to get out from this without removing the batteries.
Ironically, Port 00 is exactly what I wanted you to check! Just as I suspected, the tip is pulled low; I suspect that the tip of a link cable is stuck inside the socket. How comfortable are you disassembling your calculator? It would requires a Torx-6 screwdriver and a small Phillips screwdriver, as well as a plastic knife or spudger or fingernails to pop the latches that hold the two halves of the case together.
Sadly, I don't think I have a torx 6 key, but I'll see what I can do.
EDIT: Also, I'm fairly uncomfortable with it, but it should work out.
EDIT2: I asked my grandfather if he got some torx-6 and he just might, I'll visit him tomorrow, but is there anything I should know before I start messing with this tomorrow?
A few things:
1) There are 6 Torx-6 screws and 1 Phillips screw (on the backup battery cover) to remove before you can open the case.
2) If the calculator is a Silver Edition, you'll also have to remove the interchangeable faceplate.
3) Once the screws are out, try to pop the latches at the bottom left and right sides of the case, then gently sheer the two halves of the case in opposite directions to pop the other latches.
4) The USB and I/O ports will be at the top of the mainboard, under a silver electrostatic shield.
5) Unless you have a different type of I/O port then me, it will be difficult to nondestructively remove blockages. Some things you could try: (a) poke a sewing needle into the center back of the port to try to push out obstructions, which would let you continue to use the socket, (b) desolder the socket, or (c) carefully clip the I/O port's leads where they're soldered onto the mainboard, and remove the socket that way.

Here's a picture to help. The I/O port is the solver rectangular prism at top-right. Also, your calculator will have a ribbon cable instead of those blue wires.
Ah, ok, I'll try and print this out as I don't have access to the internet there.
I hope this will do the job and that I don't mess it up even more than it already was.
Thank you very much for the help!
Best of luck, let us know how it goes. The only possible problem is that you'll lose your I/O port if (5)(a) doesn't work and you have to resort to (b) or (c), but it sounds like you don't lose it often or ever anyway.
Not progressing right now.
I visited my grandfather and it turns out he didn't have the right tools, or rather not enough of that tool-set.
So after some talk and a couple of cakes/cookies and with him I went to my brother whom "might have the right tools" but the same result, so I guess my only real option left is to buy a torx toolset.

EDIT:
Wohooo!
Just a simple needle fixed it!
I should have tried that first, before trying to find a torx-set.
Nice, thank you!
And I bet I know the cause too: a friend tried inserting headphones into the I/O port, I had completely forgotten about it until I started fiddling with the needle and that might be why it helped just to "unpress" the button in the I/O port (or whatever I did).
Success!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours