I recently set up a private web server on my home network, for hosting 2 websites. The HTTP and HTTPS works fine, I have set up port forwarding on my router to the server, and the server responds, no issue.

I then proceeded to set up FTP and SFTP (ssh) services on the server, and created a port forwarding rule on my router for that. However, when I attempt to SSH or FTP in, I get "connection refused" for port 22 and "error: couldn't connect to server" for the FTP ports. I proceeded to ensure the firewalls on my remote computer allowed those services, and that the server's firewalls allowed it. When the issue persisted, I contacted verizon support, my ISP and they said that SSH and FTP are not being blocked by them.

So does the only remaining thing fall back to bad configuration on my end?
Can you connect to SFTP or FTP on the machine internally? If so, then your ISP is either wrong, and is blocking those ports, or you didn't port-forward correctly. Try moving your SSH daemon to a nonstandard port, ideally above 1024 (and don't use FTP).
No. Even connecting to it using the LAN address fails. And perhaps I should try moving it. (and ftp was only a temporary substitute for SSH, since it wasn't working, but it turns out it didn't work either).
ACagliano wrote:
No. Even connecting to it using the LAN address fails. And perhaps I should try moving it. (and ftp was only a temporary substitute for SSH, since it wasn't working, but it turns out it didn't work either).
Then you have bigger problems if you can't access it locally either. Check the machine's firewall.
When I transfer files between my desktop and laptop, I do it via FTP over a direct ethernet connection. I can't get any sort of connection going unless I disable Windows Firewall on the computer hosting the daemon. I have exceptions for the daemon and everything.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours