How should the current MC world be handled in the future?
Allow the current world to be built in as well as a new world (Portals to access as with the museum world)
 75%  [ 6 ]
Write-protect the current world, add in a new map. The old world will be downloadable (I will do my best to host this map with the same rules).
 0%  [ 0 ]
Same with the above, but move notable builds to the new map.
 25%  [ 2 ]
Delete the old world, add in a new world, move notable builds to the museum world (read-only). Non-notable builds will be deleted.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

I, as well as many other builders on the current MC server, have expressed conflicting views over how the current map will be handled. I have been watching the progress on the upgrades to the MC server. Me, Fiopli, and other users have expressed interest in keeping the current world editable. There are still large builds going on in the world, large builds that can't be/aren't easily copied to a new world, and adding PvP and/or Towny would change how builds will be done.

LuxenD wrote:
PvPs need many people just to be successful, and we have only had a maximum of 7 people at one time
Towny does require people to be added to your town to gain plots. With few people to gain more plots for towns and only a few towns available (you cannot be in multiple towns/own more than one).

comicIDIOT wrote:
I haven't played the current world in months and my items are probably still there. Under Towny, they'd be protected until I didn't pay my "rent."
Forcing people to keep tabs on their builds (ones that are under Towny) to be protected would require you to keep logging on, spending time to protect your builds. What if you complete a large build and stop showing up for a while? Your town can expire and you are free to be looted in a PvP world. I am not aware of any current problems in a PvE world where chests are not allowed to be looted.

KermMartian wrote:
That's exactly it: this would make people want to visit more often and be more competitive.
Or the complete opposite.

charlessprinkle wrote:
I think there are mixed opinions on having towny/iconomy *or* the same style server we have now. Especially if we put towny on only, quite a few of us wouldn't enjoy it very much. I would absolutely agree with AHelper that having both the current style, and a towny separately would solve it as its a compromise that can't really let anyone down.
Having Towny would work if the Cemetech MC server advertised for players in the public to join up and have a constant userbase. Right now, that doesn't exist. Some came to the server on the basis of PvE. Taking away PvE takes away that style of MC that was desired.

Personally, I would like to see the current MC server map editable. Yes, with 1.7.2, a new map really is needed, but not along with removing the current style of play. If the old map is taken down and I get a copy of the map, I will host the old map under the same rules as PvE and continue large builds allowing anyone to join. What are the thoughts of the MC players on the forums? (I will try to poke on the MC server (active and inactive) for others the comment on this)

(Note that the current map will be downloadable regardless of the action taken, but what happens on the server is different)
Depending on how much available space the server has, and how much it can handle, again, I couldn't see any disagreement in keeping the current world and also having another towny world. It allows everyone who wishes to return to the current world, to do so, while also allowing anyone the option of going on the towny map.

I will definitely try towny if it will be a map (which is more of a near-guarantee at this point rather), but there will be a bit to it. If I seem to not be super fond of it and its a bit "busy" or complicated (as I lean strongly toward vanilla MC which is very simple and clean), I'd have a tendency to not really be playing as there's nothing left that strikes my interest if there's no other map to be on except the towny map. The other thing is that if it is true that you'd have to manage your town and come on here and there to keep it running, I could never assure I'd be on often enough to fulfill that commitment. Especially as I'm a physics major, I have a lot ahead of me I have not seen yet, and I am not sure how things will progress in my path. There would be times I wouldn't be able to come on for a while, and my town would suffer consequently for something I couldn't help. In everyday context, I'd come on to maintain it, but at times things can get busy. I'm lucky right now at this time, I am not heavily burdened academically.

Again to reiterate and get the gist of it--
►1.7 non-towny is the most ideal to me, whether it be a totally new map, or new terrain generated beyond the borders of the current map.
►Speaking on behalf of others, having the current map still unconditionally available to build on wouldn't disappoint anyone. It'd be either neutral, or a big plus to others.
►Having a towny map wouldn't disappoint anyone, given we had one non-towny map in one form or another as listed above.

Altogether, I feel like a new 1.7 map non-towny would be my ideal as I like the fresh start, but if we put together a compromise, I believe the solution most would be okay with is to have the current map available, with 1.7 terrain generated beyond the borders, and also a towny 1.7 map separately available as an option. This would allow all 3 possible options to be available simultaneously to anyone. At least for me, I could totally live with starting fresh on our current map, surviving in newly generated 1.7 terrain as if it was a new map.

I guess in the end of it if I'd pick one question to ask, what would be the downside or the obstacle in doing this, instead of trying to get everyone to play on a 1.7 towny map?
personally, i wouldnt play a towny-based map because i only get on about 2 times a week, often less. if you could set up one map as towny, and leave the old map as is, i think that could please the best of both worlds. all i have to say.
Isn't there a plugin out there that allows cross-server linking via portals? That way we can just link the two servers (AHelper's and Kerm's.) Could call it a time portal or something.
Huh, that is interesting. I haven't been around a lot of servers to see/notice that nor have I been looking at mods that much to come across that. If the MC client is happy with switching servers with portals, then that would be very interesting.
Requires Client Plugin:
http://www.spigotmc.org/resources/transporter.281/

Similar Idea, No Client Plugin (I think)
http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/1-7-2-bungeecord.392/

http://youtu.be/AJT1SVJPHoU?t=11m50s

Door to the past 0x5:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJT1SVJPHoU&feature=youtu.be&t=11m50s
While I'm relatively new to the server overall, I think preserving the current state of affairs makes stuff, especially if there's stuff you can't do in the new one. Is the old server not PVP? Who are the people who want PVP? Personally, I won't play on a PVP just because I'm not really looking for that kind of experience--heck, what little I've done with survival proves to me I don't want that, let alone other real people attacking me.

I think we should have three servers. The new one that can be open, PVP. The old one which should just stay the same. And a white-listed creative server like how the server is set up now. People can just run around and build whatever, and we don't have to worry about protecting anything.
merthsoft wrote:
While I'm relatively new to the server overall, I think preserving the current state of affairs makes stuff, especially if there's stuff you can't do in the new one. Is the old server not PVP? Who are the people who want PVP? Personally, I won't play on a PVP just because I'm not really looking for that kind of experience--heck, what little I've done with survival proves to me I don't want that, let alone other real people attacking me.
Yes, survival can be tedious if you're not used to it, and PvP doubly so, but my opinion is that it is more exciting gameplay. Not only do you need to get materials and farm food in order to stay alive and build things, but you also have the added challenge of needing to defend yourself again other players by building good defenses and vaults, coming up with a way of making (easy) revenue to keep your town rent paid, and the potential to kill other players or raid their cities to get free items. Although only about 50-60% of our players are ambivalent or in favor of PvP, I'm confident that once the rest start playing, bring their friends, and the server gets active, we'll have some really fun gameplay going, and people will see the fun of the gameplay. I have played on other PvP servers, and while they're a great deal of fun, I believe the sophistication and maturity of the average Cemetech user compared to the average Minecraft user means that the gameplay and defenses and offenses on our server will be more complex, better-thought-out, and more fun. Regarding the concern that you'll have to get money to maintain your town, that's true, but clever people should be able to to sell items, farm gold, or otherwise make the money easily, and not visit for a while if they don't want to.

Quote:
I think we should have three servers. The new one that can be open, PVP. The old one which should just stay the same. And a white-listed creative server like how the server is set up now. People can just run around and build whatever, and we don't have to worry about protecting anything.

I believe that three servers will split our already tiny userbase and make each of the three servers have a tiny audience. As unpopular as the decision may be, I'm convinced we should have a single active map (and the Museum World).

Abrum wrote:
Isn't there a plugin out there that allows cross-server linking via portals? That way we can just link the two servers (AHelper's and Kerm's.) Could call it a time portal or something.
That would be pretty interesting.
KermMartian wrote:
Although only about 50-60% of our players are ambivalent or in favor of PvP, I'm confident that once the rest start playing, bring their friends, and the server gets active, we'll have some really fun gameplay going, and people will see the fun of the gameplay. I have played on other PvP servers, and while they're a great deal of fun, I believe the sophistication and maturity of the average Cemetech user compared to the average Minecraft user means that the gameplay and defenses and offenses on our server will be more complex, better-thought-out, and more fun.
That's fair, and I'm definitely willing to give it a shot. Especially if I can get some coaching Wink
merthsoft wrote:
That's fair, and I'm definitely willing to give it a shot. Especially if I can get some coaching Wink
Thanks for the open-mindedness. Smile Since I obviously won't be playing as a player, as I have creative/op powers, I'll do my best to coach you and whoever else is new to the intricacies of town and PvP mechanics.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours