I was trying to create an application variable on my pc so I could send SID register dump files to my calculator. I followed the instructions of the linkguide, but TI connect keeps yelling this at me: "File invalid or corrupted."

Can someone please have a look at my appvar? Perhaps I did not calculate the checksum correctly. I wrote a program that adds all bytes in the data area (including the variable header.) The checksum is the lower 16 bit of the sum. I appended it to the end of the appvar intel style (least significant byte first)

Edit: This is the appvar I was making as a test, but it gets rejected by TI connect https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52769784/TESTDUMP.8xv
Just a quick question, is it for the 83+/84+, and is it BASIC data? If so, you could create appvars using TokenIDE, and SourceCoder3 (I think).

Otherwise, we shall have to wait on the Kerm or someone else more knowledgeable. :p
tifreak8x wrote:
Just a quick question, is it for the 83+/84+, and is it BASIC data? If so, you could create appvars using TokenIDE, and SourceCoder3 (I think).

Otherwise, we shall have to wait on the Kerm or someone else more knowledgeable. :p

No it is raw data. I used a hex editor to write my own header and I calculated the checksum using a C program I wrote.
keoni29 wrote:
I wrote a program that adds all bytes in the data area (including the variable header.) The checksum is the lower 16 bit of the sum. I appended it to the end of the appvar intel style (least significant byte first)
Yes, little-endian is correct, and it should cover the entire data section. I will take a look at the AppVar when I am on an actual computer. Can you please use your program to create an AppVar with a single byte of contents, as that will be easier to debug?
I will write a C program that takes any file and converts it into an appvar. That is the only way I can rule out human error. I managed to create and send a valid appvar to my calculator. It holds just one byte of data though.

Edit: Success! I created a C program that does the conversion for me. I can now convert any data to an appvar!
keoni29 wrote:
I will write a C program that takes any file and converts it into an appvar. That is the only way I can rule out human error. I managed to create and send a valid appvar to my calculator. It holds just one byte of data though.

Edit: Success! I created a C program that does the conversion for me. I can now convert any data to an appvar!
What turned out to be the error, in the end? Also, that sounds like a tool that you should upload to the Cemetech Archives. Wink
Error1 : Checksum calculation. I calculated the checksum of the entire document including file header.
Error2: Miscalculated the size of the variable. I added two bytes to the variable data (the size prefix) and forgot to account for it.

All fixed now. I will upload to the archives once it's a bit more user friendly Smile
I am sure I made similar errors when I first started working with the format. Good job tracking down the problems, and I look forward to the finished version.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours