This is a place holder for me to put up links as I find them.

http://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2011/10/rpl-programming-tutorial-part-1-hp.html

I have, at this point, been able to create a program and test it, though I didn't get the same results as he did, not sure why yet. I find it most fascinating that -everything- is done from the home screen. This is going to be a most enjoyable learning experience. Smile
The think I like best about the 50G is that you can use a computer and emulator to test and debug your program as a simple text file, and then put it on a SD card and load it up quickly. I haven't figured out how to do that on my ti89 yet.
It's cool to see fellow developers experimenting with the 50g. Smile

My favorite thing about it is the low-level development you can do right on the calculator--system RPL and even ASM. The built-in SD slot is perfect: I set up a one-button backup routine that I press before running untested SysRPL/ASM code. When it crashes or acts weird, I reboot, have a library I wrote to prompt to automatically restore my last SD card backup if it detects memory is empty, and in seconds I'm back where I started with no data loss.

I'm curious what program you ran and what results did you get that were different from the tutorial? Are you in algebraic or RPN mode? I only took a very brief look at it, but it doesn't seem to mention algebraic vs. RPN. I think that's very important. In my experience, some features really don't work that well, or at all (ARCHIVE/RESTORE come to mind), in algebraic mode as they do in RPN. Compared to the TI-89(t), I feel like the 50g's algebraic mode was kind of a cobbled-together afterthought.
It has the user set rpn mode, and it was the first bit of coding that you come across. I might not have done it right, and I haven't yet had a chance to go through it again to see what I did wrong. Smile So far, I love the calculator, I could see doing a lot of fun things with it. I just need to get myself to where I understand the code to work with it :p
Make sure the CAS is in approximate mode, else things get really weird, really quickly. (Namely, the calculator absolutely refuses to give numeric results if they can't fit in the calculator's precision, and numbers are assumed to be integers unless declared otherwise, whereas in approximate mode, reals are assumed.)

Hit the Mode button, then the CAS settings are in there.
I find reals are faster than integers as well, even for integer math (if you're doing something where performance is important and you don't need the extra precision integer types offer). Interestingly, on the 89, it's the opposite; exact integer types generally seem much faster for real-precision integer math.
That would probably be because, IIRC, the RPL calcs don't natively handle integers, that's all done in the CAS.

HP's calculator architectures up through the RPL machines were heavily optimized for BCD floating point arithmetic. For that matter, even the hardware was optimized for that until they switched to ARM.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours