I am seeking a laptop IDE to CF adapter on eBay. Which one is the best? Or is there a better one? Especially asking CVsoft.
Adapter #1
Adapter #2
Adapter #3
What I am looking for is an easy to use one, $5 or less preferably, and preferably not from China...
Not from China will be hard to do, considering IDE is a dying breed... But I digress. An IDE to CF adapter is just a pass-through really, so performance doesn't really vary. I would just stay away from the PCB only ones, as they aren't very mechanically sound.
pcb_master wrote:
Not from China will be hard to do, considering IDE is a dying breed... But I digress. An IDE to CF adapter is just a pass-through really, so performance doesn't really vary. I would just stay away from the PCB only ones, as they aren't very mechanically sound.
I agree on staying away from the unenclosed options. And if you want the cheapest possible gadget, you're going to have to get it from China. For the most part, the US sellers are always more expensive.
US sellers do charge a lot for the products, which are often just Chinese ones resold by an American seller. I recommended the enclosed option as it contains proper mounting hardware (unlike #3) and is much sturdier. The first option appears to be the only one that supports using two CF cards (especially on older computers with limited space, this is a bonus). Just keep in mind that older CompactFlash cards do not last very long, and newer ones last about 4 years. In addition, never defragment and disable Windows 98 scheduled tune-up. And lastly, keep hardware limitations in mind when selecting a CompactFlash card. 8 GB is the limit for pre-Pentium II computers, 137 GB is the limit for DOS-based Windows and pre-Vista OSes, though everything above 10 GB gets expensive.
Or if you have an CF socket and are feeling brave...
pcb_master wrote:
Or if you have an CF socket and are feeling brave...

Very brave... I wouldn't even try this. The furthest I've gone was combining two mini USB power only cables into a single full cable.
I did it and then stuffed it into a empty HDD case. Not a mistake I will make again...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours