This is excellent, keep up the good work. How easily could you do it with a sphere?

On another note, your Star Wars game really reminds me of a retro space trading game called 'Elite.'

Elite was one of the first home computer games to have wire-frame 3d graphics, use procedural generation (to create a massive in-game world) and be open ended.
I have started porting this program to the 84C, for the most part it is going smoothly, although naturally it will be slower.

Still its pretty cool to see colour 3D on calc Smile.

Note that these screenshots appear to run a bit faster than on actual hardware:

There are also some drawing glitches in the screenshots that dont appear in the emulator or on calc.
Shock amazing ! I really hope you'll release an usable lib Very Happy
Wow, tr1p, this looks great! Can't wait to see more.
tr1p1ea wrote:
I have started porting this program to the 84C, for the most part it is going smoothly, although naturally it will be slower.

There are also some drawing glitches in the screenshots that dont appear in the emulator or on calc.

Shock

I wonder if the frame rate is a little smoother when zoomed out and if it's due to the emulator? Although the speed is still very impressive per 84+CSE standards, maybe doing like Doom and Star Fox on the SNES and cutting off the resolution so that it's not full screen would improve frame rate?

EDIT: tr1p1ea, you should port the Super Mario 64 mini-game (right before selecting new/loaded game) where you play with Mario's nose, mouth, eyes and ears to the 84+CSE.
tr1p1ea wrote:

Wow, that looks really good.
Looking forward to both the 3D Star Wars game and the CSE 3D viewer; they are both amazing!

Minetest here we come! ...?
I made a youtube video demonstrating the basics thus far, this better demonstrates the actual speed:

DJ_O wrote:
EDIT: tr1p1ea, you should port the Super Mario 64 mini-game (right before selecting new/loaded game) where you play with Mario's nose, mouth, eyes and ears to the 84+CSE.
That would be great Very Happy

The speed you've got on the CSE is really impressive, too. It looks great!
I havent started optimizing the drawing routines yet, and i have a couple of ideas about small speed increases.

I should note that these are pretty complex 3D models (for a calculator!). The Mario and Link head models are 107 and 108 faces respectively.

When creating them you just set the material ID to a h=l colour (like xLIB colours).
necro bump. Did you ever finish the starwars game?
Ivoah wrote:
necro bump. Did you ever finish the starwars game?
I'll let tr1p1ea answer for himself, but I believe he may have unfortunately lost the code in a hard drive crash and didn't have up-to-date backups. Sad
I do have some backups, but I'm afraid I kind of moved onto the colour calcs as can be seen.

The CSE needs a lot of tinkering for this to work, I'm hoping that the CE might be more accommodating ... however this still remains to be seen.
If you don't mind, could you do a quick rundown on how 3D rendering works? What type/level/whatever of math is needed to make something that just displays and connects a set of (x,y,z) coords, and rotates/scales/moves them? Google hasn't helped much.
Just wondering if this will be for a calc project or for a different platform. There are certain things that you can get away with on calc that wont fly on PC for example.
Oh, it's not for anything at the moment. I'd just like to understand the math behind it.
I'd also like this, and it's what I was hoping elfprince's tutorial would cover, but it looks like he's mostly a layer above that. It'd be great if someone could start a topic explaining things like how to project 3D coords to 3D (because all the math I've found online seems to fail to do it), and then how to move it around (mostly linear algebra, I imagine, but it'd still be nice to know more specifics outside of "use a rotation matrix").
Well, here you go : http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1147

It's not perfect or complete, but does cover the basics and some more.
I don't want it as a calc program; I want it as a tutorial I can read, like, online or whatever.
merthsoft wrote:
It'd be great if someone could start a topic explaining things like how to project 3D coords to 3D (because all the math I've found online seems to fail to do it), and then how to move it around (mostly linear algebra, I imagine, but it'd still be nice to know more specifics outside of "use a rotation matrix").

There are basically two categories of transformations: rotation, translation, and scaling (and inversion too, I guess), which are all maintaining the same dimensionality, and projections, which are typically used to reduce dimensions.

If you ask about it in the tutorial thread, I'll try to cover them explicitly in my next entry, which is probably a few weeks away.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours