Lionel Debroux wrote:
Yeah, that's an understatement. The Nspire series is tailored for teachers and standardized testing, not for the real world (since these are, sadly, highly disconnected)...
I don't feel that that's a logical necessity, though. I would be lying if I said I hadn't explored the idea of a device that would be both powerful for non-standardized test usage and also acceptable for standardized tests, including physically-removable module(s) with a keyboard and/or a wireless module. I know TI has explored the same. I still want to complete a long-suffering project of mine that would bring engineers and scientists a calculator/Octave/logger/o-scope package all in one.
Somewhat random, but if you just looked at some random raw specs—320 horizontal resolution, ability to turn screen sideways, full touchscreen—it almost sounds like an old Apple mobile device.

The other things make a huge difference Smile
Deep Thought wrote:
Somewhat random, but if you just looked at some random raw specs—320 horizontal resolution, ability to turn screen sideways, full touchscreen—it almost sounds like an old Apple mobile device.
Or, you know, any other smartphone in the last five years. Razz
Can either of the TI or Casio machines do RPN? If not, they aren't very functional to engineers.
Out of the box, not, I don't think they do. However, there are programs that allow them to.
Not out of the box.

With an old third-party program, TI-68k calculators can do some RPN (from the users' perspective - internally, it always does RPN, as it should), but this program creates a number of incompatibilities with other programs.
The fx-9860 has several addins which allow it to do rpn.
Casio Education is running sweepstakes to win something called a Classpad 400 II; however:
1) It requires giving some hugely-invasive third-party Facebook and Twitter apps access to all your personal information.
2) What's a Classpad 400 II?

I'll try to get in touch with my Casio contacts for some answers.
Quote:
What's a Classpad 400 II?

Maybe it's just a way to state that the fx-CP400 is the second generation of Classpad, 300-330 being the first one ?
Might also be a fx-CP400 which sucks less (= less outdated hardware and more capable software, which would take better advantage of the color screen, wouldn't have such an horrendously slow BASIC for high-school level problems, etc.) and is sold at an acceptable price tag, but I'm not going to hold my breath Smile
The tweet seems to be gone now
ruler501 wrote:
The tweet seems to be gone now
They deleted it (and my reply asking about the invasive Facebook/Twitter app) and reposted it here.
So... has anyone made any program or games yet?

I personally was tempted to make some, but after seeing the speed of the Connect Four game, while drawing commands are much faster than on the PRIZM, math, control and I/O commands are actually slower, and even if the drawing commands are faster, they still won't even come close to compare with pure TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition BASIC, let alone HP PPL (the on-calc Basic/Pascal-like language present on the HP Prime):

I also seem to have an hard time getting used to the touchscreen-based keyboard, nor the extreme slow loading that occurs after ON-BREAK. I prefer either programming on the computer or using an ALPHA keypad on a calculator.

I am glad that I could snatch a CP400 for $135, though, considering it's now $169.99 at Staples (which is outrageous considering the slow speed)
...gets even better, cannot handle 1989 ^ 1989 EXE results in:
ERROR:Overflow

meanwhile my 50g, and from what I understand nSpires at least, and Prime(mine's charging but I've read that it resolves quickly) can hadle this with results in a reasonable time(few seconds on 50g, instantaneously with maxima on my n5).

Started doing this again in honor of Wolfram's old q&d benchmarking of mathematica on various hw. Apparently it's even instantaneous on the rpi running mathematica...

This "calculator" should not even be sniffing @ $100 let alone $150+ ...(snagged mine from Amazon when I ordered the prime, c. $138ish, no tax, free shipping(Amazon prime for the prime Very Happy))

[EDIT]
@lionel debroux
I have an awful feeling now that it's pretty much mildly upgraded CPU(maybe OCed) from the 330 + color screen but o.w. the same... I'm keeping it as a souvenir of sorts, o.w. it'd be on it's way back to Amazon right now...
[/EDIT]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours