Just received an email from TeamFX, as a consequence of some emails we have been exchanging. Looks like a new OS version for the Prizm is out.

http://edu.casio.com/

Changes:
- Prizm OS 2.00
- Prizm ProbSim 1.00 (new add-in)
- Prizm Picture Plot 1.01 (updated version)
- Prizm Geometry 1.02 (updated)
- Prizm Physium 1.02 (updated)
- Prizm Russian Language 1.00 (new language add-in)
- fx-9860G/GII ProbSim 1.00 (new add-in for fx-9860G)

http://www.casio-schulrechner.de/de/presse/detail/1383/ (not yet an official announcement, it seems)

I need to check what's going on with my "special" Prizm. I and TeamFX suspect it has a new hardware revision.

I don't want to be the first to update though, so could someone please update first and check if all add-ins still run? Thanks.

Note for those following my projects: This may delay the release of Utilities v1.1.
Wow, this is fascinating news. I can't wait to see what the full feature set of the new OS looks like, and how it impacts our existing Add-Ins. I'm definitely going to research this and probably post it as front-page Cemetech news, so thanks again for bringing it to our attention. Do we have any insight if it works on all existing hardware revisions or not?
I don't know, these are fresh news from exactly ten minutes ago.
Funnily enough, very very recently I had asked how language add-ins for the Prizm would look like. Now we have the answer...

TeamFX wrote:

Some other OS 2.00 functions:

- MIXED function for integration areas (GRAPH mode)
- RanSamp# command
- vectors... and nothing more

That kind of confirms what I understood from the Google translation on the German release notes.

The OS has new strings for the new math functions.

If this is all there's to it, then this 2.00 release is, in my opinion, not worthy a bump of the major version number. So there's probably more to it... we shall see.
For those with fx-CG 10's, here's the download link.

I am going to post this on TakeFlight. Wink
Can someone check if the old add-ins still work?
If you want I can send you a development build of Utilities for you to test if it still works (and, while you're at it, provide feedback about the new functions).

EDIT: old add-ins appear to work Smile
Sure, I'll check.

Interface change found:
In Run-Mat, the f-key icon instead of saying "MAT" says "MAT/VCT". If you press it, then you see your matrices, as usual, and then if you press F6, it switches to vectors view. There are also vector functions in the optn menu.
Yeah. I'm testing it on one of my Prizms. Very Happy
Just a small addition:

They also added StdDev_Sigma() (Population Standard Deviation) and Variance_Sigma2() (Population Variance) in the statistics menu.
And it is now possible to solve overdetermined or underdetermined systems.

Official announcement: http://edu.casio.com/products/cg_series/fxcg10_20/
New add-in page: http://edu.casio.com/products/supportinformation/
My conclusion about the Prob Sim add-in is that it is powerful, must have have been a lot of work to code and is pointless (except if you want to run simulations to confirm the Prizm PRNG is biased, but no news here).

The vector functions appear to be very useful though, doing many of the things my Eigenmath port already did. From my first observations my idea is that internally, vectors are just matrices with a different name and rules for its dimension.

If all you want is the Russian language add-in, you need not to update to 2.00. It works even on old versions like 1.02.
Add-in languages appear to work by copying them, when an add-in language is selected, to a special portion of the flash, when the user selects an add-in language on the languages menu.

EDIT: I just took a dump of the 2.00 OS, copied the Portuguese language section, pasted it into the Russian.g3l language file at the proper offset, and now I have a working g3l file for the Portuguese language which I can edit to my will Smile
So the question is: is it worth it to get the new OS?
If you do math with vectors, are a *lot* into probability calculus (to justify the new random functions and prob add-in), or use the Equation menu to calculate equation systems, yes it is worth it.
what new equation features are there? I didn't notice any...
@flyingfish: Solving over- and underdetermined systems.
Does the old add-ins work as before or should we not update to v2.0?
That question has been answered (in this thread) already...
Rhetorical question: why they used special kind of matrix for vector, when there are native vectors: lists ?
MPoupe wrote:
Rhetorical question: why they used special kind of matrix for vector, when there are native vectors: lists ?
I'm confused on that too. It would seem to me that lists and vectors have similar if not identical purposes. Neutral
And why do they have lists when they could just accept 1-dimensional matrices on the functions that take lists?

I believe the reason is, in some situations it's easier for the users to have explicitly different types. An user won't accidentally perform statistical analysis on a vector thinking it is a normal list, for example...
gbl08ma wrote:
And why do they have lists when they could just accept 1-dimensional matrices on the functions that take lists?

I believe the reason is, in some situations it's easier for the users to have explicitly different types. An user won't accidentally perform statistical analysis on a vector thinking it is a normal list, for example...

I am afraid the reason might be different: The boss, who decided to add vectors didn't know about lists, but he knew about matrices. So he defined the functionality that way.
I hope my explanation is wrong, but I think it might be one of the possible explanation Sad
It's possible, MPoupe. After all, they are the same people who did not know how to play a Youtube video (I am serious!) and the same people who were unable to replicate the Locate bug that early OSes had then took a year or two until finally fixing it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours