qazz42 wrote:

I am from the US of A, and I have meet both Kerm and geekboy and bwang.

Harummpph
elfprince13 wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

Harummpph

I am horrified and shocked that I could forget such an important detail. Such carelessness has been fixed. In fact, I'm so disappointed in myself, that I shall send myself into the bad friend corner for the rest of the night.
1) How did you first learn about Cemetech and what aspect influenced you to stay?

Dunno where I heard of it, I stayed because it is the superior community of the two

2) Do you feel as if we have similarities outside of calculator programming naturally. If so, what are they? For example, UT2004, Minecraft, computer and web programming, electronics, Doctor Who, and so on.

Yes, but generally I like to just stick with the computer programming and ignore the rest

3) For what reason(s) do you frequent Cemetech over other sites like Omnimaga or TIPlanet? (Or vise-versa)?

b& from Omnimaga, plus cemetech is trve kvlt site

4) Do you consider the community of Cemetech to have a main goal(s)? (if so, what are they?)

Helping newbies, mostly, which isn't a bad thing

5) How do you feel your relationship is with other members?

mmm

I like some, I ignore the rest

6) Do you find that Cemetech (and calc programming) has helped you in the outside world?

Yes, I'm many years more advanced than the rest of my peers with computer science; I can directly thank Cemetech's last Prizm-only contest and the Prizm hacking efforts for pushing me to learn C/multiple assembly languages, which landed me gr8 internships and led me to win a state-level science fair

Having professionals on the site patiently answer your questions was extremely useful

7) What is your favorite inside joke/lingo/shared social item?

Ron Paul? other than that, not really any of them

Cool What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?

USA, no, but planning to meet qazz42 eventually

9) What (if anything) could we do to attract you to spend more time on Cemetech?

loosen the mood a bit, I suppose, seems a bit too professional here at times. I honestly spend more time in chat rooms/forums that are mature, but a bit looser on posting requirements and conduct, etc.
qazz42 wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

Harummpph

I am horrified and shocked that I could forget such an important detail. Such carelessness has been fixed. In fact, I'm so disappointed in myself, that I shall send myself into the bad friend corner for the rest of the night.

Good Idea you can come out now Smile
Wow, so much to respond to already!

LuxenD wrote:
2. Ha. definently minecraft, computer EVERYTHING, and that every established member is caring and helpful. when you look for a community, you want one that is active, open, and productive. cemetech is all of that, and more.
That's great to hear! We think shared secondary interests (as BenRyves so aptly put it) help drive friendship and cooperation towards our primary goals, namely using and teaching programming and electronics.

willrandship wrote:
3) For electronics projects, this is a stronger community. For calculator programming, I tend to stick to omni due to its higher activity.

9) Attract more users to increase activity.
I worry that those are sort of self-feeding problems. If there is less activity, people go away, so there is less activity. If people make an effort to come and post their projects, there will be more to discuss, more activity, and then more people will come and post their projects. Smile I charge you and everyone else with helping make that a reality!

ordelore wrote:
9) You couldn't do anything more since I check Cemetech at least once a day. Please, just make a new OS. And make the Minecraft server 1.7.2.
Just need to wait for Bukkit to have a 1.7.2 build ready. Smile

comicIDIOT wrote:
A more mature community. We really need to focus on keeping our users past high school. Also, more welcome to technological diversity. Particularly, to Apple users. I'm just one person but I'd feel more welcome to programming if Cemetech wasn't so adamantly anti-Apple and I could get programming help here. Mac & iOS are growing markets in the programming landscape and we shouldn't turn away from that.
Duly noted. I certainly do my share of semi-joking Apple bashing, but more technological diversity would definitely help certain people feel included. How can we bring those sorts of people here?

spud2451 wrote:
2.) I think I have a lot of similarities with fellow Cemetechians, some including, web design, video games, programming in general and just being proud of being a nerd.
Yes! We want people to be as proud of being nerds as we admins are.

spud2451 wrote:
3.) I frequent Cemetech for two reasons. First, I like the standard of expectations here, no other online forum I've ever been on is so uptight in a good way. And second, I feel like the community cares enough to... 1 give constructive advice and 2 care about how well we get along (If I'm being a nag someone tells me so).
I'm glad you experience us that way. We definitely try to mold our users to some extent, especially with netiquette, spelling, grammar, and programming skill.

tifreak8x wrote:
Sadly, other sites don't seem to care much about my projects, very very select few people ever reply, I generally get at least some attention here with my projects.
I think one of the reasons some people other than you post their projects on Omnimaga or elsewhere first and Cemetech second is we don't necessarily produce a ton of feedback on projects. Part of it is that we have our Quality over Quantity mantra, so responses tend to be suggestions and criticism instead of "that's great" and "cool". On the other hand, people like to see that quantity of interest in their projects. I think we need to both make it more attractive for people to use Cemetech as their first place to post project threads, and make other members want to respond and help, without losing quality as our primary goal. Is this realistic? How?

DJ_O wrote:
One thing that could potentially make me post slightly more is making the new posts feature so that it doesn't prune itself on next session, although the weekly active topics feature helps.
What if the Week Posts view was the default?

ZeldaKing wrote:
-I really do enjoy programming, although not very good at computer stuff. Going to go to college for my EE degree, so that's neat. I see a lot of really smart people that are willing to help out younger members, which I try to do to the best of my abilities. Although I haven't played UT2004, I really enjoy UT99.
That's great! Did we help push you towards being an EE, or were you already pretty set on that? And you should get UT2004 and join our matches; it's <$10.

zeldaking wrote:
-Nothing. I hop on whenever I am at home, which is a great deal of time. Cemetech is my cyber-home, and I'm here to stay.
We aim to make Cemetech feel like an online home, and I'm glad it feels that way. That's why I try to be friendly and greet people to make them feel welcome, and I trust that you guys will help me with that goal. What could we do to make it feel more friendly and homey to people?

Tari wrote:
I'm not real active on the forum since many of the things our younger members work on don't really interest me (and those cover the majority of discussion), but I'm often in IRC, where I find the more interesting things usually are-- what else do you want?
I want to find a way to attract more DIY electronics enthusiasts to build up that part of our userbase. My SSD1289 project brings a lot of Beaglebone+LCD experimenters, but that's as far as it goes. What could we do toward this end?

elfprince13 wrote:
Add 6 hours to the day.
Amen to that! I definitely need another 6 to 12 hours per day to juggle my time better.

qazz42 wrote:
To program, to learn, and to have fun while doing it.
Does it feel like a group of close friends, or more like colleagues?

CVSoft wrote:
4: I see Cemetech as being able to provide a unified TI-BASIC learning experience via the "Kermbooks", extending the possibilities of a puny z80 through unique and innovative software making creative use of the limitations of the TI-83 series, and encouraging people to become involved in programming.
That's great to hear, as that's definitely one of our goals: making "limited" hardware do awesome stuff, and teach people how they can do it too.

CVSoft wrote:
9: There isn't too much that I feel could attract me to spend more time on Cemetech. There's already an IRC channel, where I already spend too much time lurking around.
And in fact I worry that all the activity on our IRC channel cannibalizes forum activity. Do you feel this is the case?

benryves wrote:
I find myself getting increasingly crochety with some members (though I think that's just life getting me down, so sorry if I'm being a pain). I think I generally get on well with the longer-term members.
I think some of our newer and younger members don't quite have the Cemetech netiquette down yet, specifically that we favor maturity, proper spelling/grammar, and adequate respect for our peers. On the other hand, it sounds like some people feel that formality makes Cemetech seem less welcoming. What do you all think?

Ashbad wrote:
Dunno where I heard of it, I stayed because it is the superior community of the two
Can you be more specific? What attributes of Cemetech appeal to you as a community?
KermM wrote:

That's great! Did we help push you towards being an EE, or were you already pretty set on that? And you should get UT2004 and join our matches; it's <$10.

As for the EE, I've always been planning on going into some sort of engineering field, and I received a $20k scholarship to USU (Utah state university; and they have an amazing engineering program), and I saw that that college has a great computer science etc program. But of course cemetech helped in that decision as well.
KermM wrote:

We aim to make Cemetech feel like an online home, and I'm glad it feels that way. That's why I try to be friendly and greet people to make them feel welcome, and I trust that you guys will help me with that goal. What could we do to make it feel more friendly and homey to people?

I think we are doing a good job at keeping a welcome community around here, so no complaints.
---
Unrelated I do have one suggestion.. For the recent posts, could you maybe change it to last 10 posts? I do like that about omnimaga. It helps people see what topics are active and they can respond etc.
1) How did you first learn about Cemetech and what aspect influenced you to stay?
I think it was through omnimaga. Regardless of where I first heard about it, I didn't join for quite a while afterwards because a lot of people on omnimaga were complaining about cemetech being unfriendly to noobs. I think I joined after I got my PRIZM, which I got through the Casio promo that was news'd by Kerm.

2) Do you feel as if we have similarities outside of calculator programming naturally. If so, what are they? For example, UT2004, Minecraft, computer and web programming, electronics, Doctor Who, and so on.
Probably computer and web programming, as well as device hacking in general.

3) For what reason(s) do you frequent Cemetech over other sites like Omnimaga or TIPlanet? (Or vise-versa)?
Like I said in the omnimaga thread, I visit UCF, omnimaga and casiopeia the same amount of times. I do prefer UCF and Cemetech though, UCF because it was the first site I joined and I am an admin there, Cemetech because the conversation seems less spammy and superficial than omnimaga. And I am not putting omnimaga down, because for a while I found the spamminess of omnimaga fun, but now I think I have grown up a bit.

4) Do you consider the community of Cemetech to have a main goal(s)? (if so, what are they?)
Not sure, unless to get more people to program.

Very good. I feel that I can ask a question here and get frank and honest answers.

6) Do you find that Cemetech (and calc programming) has helped you in the outside world?
calc programming in general has helped me IRL, don't know about cemetech in particular though.

We have inside jokes here? I just know that the community here is humorous in an original way (which I like, it shows the personality of the individual). I don't know about any cemetech inside jokes. Wink

Cool What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?
USA. I have met thepenguin77 skiing before. Smile

9) What (if anything) could we do to attract you to spend more time on Cemetech?
I spend a lot of time here, I'm pretty satisfied. Smile
Warning: This might have a lot of random topics in here.

Probably KermM quitting/joining a lot in #ti back in 2010/2011, spamming cemetech.net. I finally posted in 1/30/11 after, iirc, KermM poked me to. (I cannot find all of my #ti logs around that time). Why stay? To talk with nikkybot of course! (And to maintain my threads for projects)

The one thing that gets me highlighted everytime:
#cemetech wrote:
<DoorsCS> Jonimus, Kaslai, Tari, geekboy, bhtooefr, CVSoft, Catherine, Sonlen, Vijfhoek, others: UT2004 gogogogo? Ahelper: BUY UT2004!
Plenty of UT, lots of sax talk for MC, some forum activity on DW, electronics on IRC, lots of bots and such (nikkybot), and some AOE2 (Would have hoped for moar, especially if AOEIIHD was available on Linux).

Cemetech was the first site I was on. I posted a tad on Omnimaga to cross-post my threads only.

A source for nikkybot-on-saxjax comedy,

In terms of everyone online, strong indeed. In terms of those in real life... I wave in the direction of Merth... In terms of those I PM and talk to the most not on #cemetech would probably be nikkybot and DoorsCS.

Yes, I have now realized how awesome Markov Chains are for bots.

nikkybot: "In Soviet Russia, calculators teach you!"
Merthshaunary/Dicshaunary
"Its' like these spam bots come from the contents of a blender when the internet is shoved in. #cemetech" From Twitter.

8) What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?
Aufhelperstan, located in the USA. I have waved towards Merth a few times.

Add nikkybot on the forums? On the @Cemetech twitter account once in a while?

(nikkybot influenced 6/9 questions)
(quoting questions from Chris/Kerm's survey ...)

Saw a reference online to Arduino<-->TI-83/TI-84 calculator serial link project.

I'm a newbie. I like hardware and microcontroller-based things and programming .... gotta be some commonality in that.

Again newbie: But I've seen Cemetech before on the net; I don't remember seeing the other sites.

My initial impression is that the main goals are: providing dev tools & doc, giving others a place to share their work, asking advice on programming methods, and offering a couple of books.

New member; will see. The postings seem collegial and friendly.

N/A

My own mistakes?

USA. Don't think I've ever met a Cemetech member in person.

The site seems really well run. Being a new visitor I'm not in a position to say. There is a lot of useful information here and I'm thankful for that and all the folks who helped build it up.

Coop, aa1ww
KermMartian wrote:

DJ_O wrote:
One thing that could potentially make me post slightly more is making the new posts feature so that it doesn't prune itself on next session, although the weekly active topics feature helps.
What if the Week Posts view was the default?
^This. The new posts feature can be misleading to newer forum users or those who are used to forums on which the latest or daily/weekly topics list is never cleared on your next session. If someone isn't paying attention to the new posts list every visit, he will think that the forums isn't as active as it really is.

Else, the other idea would be to make the Weekly topics link more visible, but having it as default would be better IMHO (assuming this doesn't take much more database resources).
DJ_O wrote:
If someone isn't paying attention to the new posts list every visit, he will think that the forums isn't as active as it really is. [...] having it as default would be better IMHO (assuming this doesn't take much more database resources).
No, it won't consume any additional database resources at all. I'll change the link to show that by default as an experiment and see what happens with activity.
Quote:

I don't remember, it has been too long since I registered (back in 2006). It has only been since 2011 though that I've been a teensy bit more active here.

Quote:

Most of my dev is TI-Nspire based and that's definitely not a main focus of Cemetech. I don't feel at home here enough to post about all my adventures on that platform. However, regarding hardware hacking (electronics, AVR, etc) it's easier to ask here as many members have experience with it.

Quote:

Although I may visit Cemetech every day/two days, you can't really call that frequent. It's just that I'm more connected to the two other communities (Omnimaga and TI-Planet). Both focus more on the TI-Nspire. I've been on Omnimaga since my return to the community and feel good at home there. Regarding TI-Planet, I have a strong connection with all the admins (basically all the dev I do is directly connected with them).

Quote:

To group calculator programmers and share knowledge.

Quote:

We are on the same forum, nothing more. Hard to say because I live in another community.

Quote:

I have definitely learned stuff from Cemetech, hardware and software wise.

Quote:

I don't know of any.

Quote:
8) What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?

Belgium, and nope.
KermMartian wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
A more mature community. We really need to focus on keeping our users past high school. Also, more welcome to technological diversity. Particularly, to Apple users. I'm just one person but I'd feel more welcome to programming if Cemetech wasn't so adamantly anti-Apple and I could get programming help here. Mac & iOS are growing markets in the programming landscape and we shouldn't turn away from that.
Duly noted. I certainly do my share of semi-joking Apple bashing, but more technological diversity would definitely help certain people feel included. How can we bring those sorts of people here?

/me waves.

I've only done marginal amounts of Obj-C programming, but I'm happy to help whenever it or other Apple-related topics pop up.
Quote:
Does it feel like a group of close friends, or more like colleagues?

Oh boy, that's a tough one. I'd say it goes half and half for some people, and than one way for the others.

for example, someone like Ashbad or you, Kerm, I consider both a close friend and a colleague

but then someone who's new who I've never got a chance to get too chummy with, I'd say they're just colleagues.

I guess that it's just like any other community of friendly people, you have some people you are especially friendly with, and then some who you just sort of give a passing nod towards in the hallways and ask for help if help is required and they are knowledgeable about your question..
Here's mine:

1) My friend Tristan was a member (he taught me TI-BASIC). I figured that I'd need some help with programming, which I did, so I decided to join.

2) Other than being a fan of Doctor Who there aren't many bronies on this site (or at least they aren't active).

3) I check Omnimaga and Cemetech daily for updates on topics and new projects by others.

4) Yes. To Lead the Way to the Future.

5) I feel we have a mutual friendship.

6) It has helped me understand some things that I didn't (i.e. math things).

7) I don't think I have one.

Cool I live in the USA, and I don't think I've had the (mis)fortune of meeting any of you in real life (except for my friend who led me here). Razz

9) More active projects. Give me some motivation to program more. I've gotten more lazy over the past few months. Razz
Quote:

I found about Cemetech through Omnimaga (calc forums tend to be linked like that), and I particularly enjoyed the technological professionalism that this forum tends to incubate. Posts over here tend to be of high quality, and feedback is always prompt and effective Smile

Quote:

Minecraft is awesome (as always), and the electronics projects on here are quite cool.

Quote:

I think one of the most salient differences between Cemetech and Omnimaga (can't say for TIPlanet, I don't follow them too much) is that Cemetech tends to promote the creation of hardware and software utilities, whereas Omnimaga members prefer to make games and higher-level stuff (This is also probably responsible for the age-range of people on either forum; I've noticed that people on Omni tend to be younger...or at least they seem that way?) I can't say I'm too interested in the creation of yet another BASIC terminal or shell, but I love it when people use the tools they're given to make new and cool projects (which games usually tend to be!) That's probably why I used to frequent Omnimaga way more than here, but now that I've come to value both sides of the spectrum, I usually visit both with about the same frequency.

Quote:

Inspiring coding through accessibility (everyone's got a calculator, right?) and community support.

Quote:

I love all of you guys (=w=)b

Quote:

Most definitely! Calc programming is honestly how I started learning programming at all, and it's really shaped my decisions to learn more about coding and electronics in college and outside of school. Even though I might not do much calc programming now, that headstart is insanely applicable to the work I do even today.

Quote:

Hi nikky Smile

Quote:
8 ) What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?

The glorious USA - I live quite close to a few members on here (two I can think of off the top of my head), but I haven't had the opportunity to visit them in person. Maybe someday!

Quote:

Upgrade the Minecraft server to 1.7.2 :3

Google search, while looking for a nice site to join with members who enjoy programming calculators.

computer and web programming, and Minecraft.

I frequent Cemetech and Omnimaga about evenly, with a slight preference to Omnimaga for games and Cemetech for everything else.

Ongoing innovation. Exposing to the world the true power of the TI graphing calculator.

Pretty good, with the exception of maybe occasionally asking stupid questions that might annoy some :p

Yes. It got me into computer science as a whole Smile

Umm...

United States, and no I haven't.

I doubt it is possible for me to spend MORE time on Cemetech.
Doors on YouTube - curious about other projects...

Not really - I am not into gaming...and it's sometimes difficult to see past the gaming content.
Edit: I am afraid I do not know what these are so forgive my ignorance but I assume it is gaming software ?

I am a member of a few. Cemetech is my favourite as it is more engaging and the members here are inspirational.

I don't know - see (2)

I am in awe. Cultural differences permitting...I am considerably older than most members here and I feel that the content is aimed at very young people. I feel that once member leave school (or College as you chaps say) they "grow-up" and leave the nest, which is a shame.

No, definitely no ! - I don't know anyone in my work life or social sphere who has a programmable calculator or any interest in programming - most people I know avoid technology outside of work.
Geekism is unfortunately not cool here !

I don't know. See point (5)

Isle of Man - a long long long way from you guys...Not ever likely to meet, lets be honest !

I would prefer to see more applications aimed at productivity. I am not a gamer....perhaps we should start looking more seriously at the Pi ?
However - I have learn't a lot about what happen across the Alantic and wsh I could be nearer. Keep up the good work.

I've been in the community for a long time. The first time I remember hearing about cemetech it sounded like a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Fast forward many years and I was in college and started visiting. Then I slept on Kerm's floor and became an admin. So I stick around because I'm drunk on power, basically.

Some things we share, some things we don't.

I have a finite amount of time I can spend reading forum posts, and by the time I get through Cemetech, I'm usually out of time. Since I'm an admin here, I start here.

World domination through graphing calculators.

I'm with Ben:
benryves wrote:
I find myself getting increasingly crochety with some members (though I think that's just life getting me down, so sorry if I'm being a pain). I think I generally get on well with the longer-term members.

There are certain members that seem unwilling to learn (programming, culture, manners, etc.), and that gets quite frustrating. But there are other members who I would easily call my friends.

Yes.

Blasdflkh.

I'm from the USA (currently Wisconsin). I have met:
From my pre-cemetech days:
- bsparks
- Andy_J

After joining cemetech:
- Kerm
- elfprince
- tifreak
- Tari
- Jonimus
I'm basically the admin-bridge, at this point.

I think maybe some others?

And I got a postcard from James_V and a signed book from Michael Vincent.

And despite his post saying he'd avoid any other encounters, I will meet benryves.

I think I spend enough time here, already...

IIRC, Kerm was on Omnimaga, which I had signed up for first. And he asked me to join and post a topic of a problem I had that sadly wasn't being answered at the time. (It took 2 days for a reply ;~; )

Of course. I've always been a UT + Minecraft + Computers + The Doctor fan! c:

To be honest, i'm here mostly because my school doesn't block this site, and i'm always too busy at home to get on Omni :<

It's not that it's a main goal, but a goal for those wanting to learn. The community teaches each other information that they learned, and it passes down the line.

I'm not sure. I feel like i'm a friend but I know i'm a pain at times :<

Definitely! I learned binary here, and that helps a LOT for conversions in my networking class. (Kind of bugs me when sometimes I write answers in HEX instead of decimal.)

>(<')

USA, Indiana. I don't mind sharing :3
But sadly I haven't met a single member, not once..

The only thing I can think of for the moment would be fixing SAX, as it's lag is unbearable :<

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours