My Dodgem Ti! game just got released on ticalc.org, and now that I can put a shortcut, I would like to have it reviewed. I guess the only way was to make a new topic but if there was some other way, then excuse me for I am still getting used to how things work around here. Anyways here is the shortcut:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/383/38354.html

I hope you guys like it. Very Happy
Good:
-Attractive interface
-Obvious, simple gamplay
-Nothing obnoxiously stupid

Bad:
-Kind of slow
-Readme is a bit noobish
-Gamplay is somewhat shallow and not that fun

Overall, pretty nice job for a first program. Better speed will come with time, but try to think about how you can make the game a bit more exciting.
Well I think improving the speed is beyond my ability now. As for the readme, I guess I could do better next time. As for making it more exciting, would adding more "i"s make it more fun? Should I trade in speed for fun?
not to self: download and play at FIRST tonight.
Perhaps you might give it ajustable difficulty (ie number of is)?
something1990 wrote:
Well I think improving the speed is beyond my ability now. As for the readme, I guess I could do better next time. As for making it more exciting, would adding more "I"s make it more fun? Should I trade in speed for fun?
Speed=fun. I think you've pretty much exhausted this particular game, and it's fairly well-polished. You should move on to another one with the lessons you learned from this one in mind.
@Kerm I did consider that at one point. Less i's = more speed. I suppose I'll play around with the idea.
I actually just finished another Dodgem Ti game, except in the newer one you are in a sort of survival mode where you must survive as long as you can. Again, I considered difficulty modes but concluded that it would add at least 2k memory to the game which might make it less appealing. For the newer versions, I did some tests on the speed and here is what I found:

For one i, the program completes 49 loops in 10 seconds
For two i, the program completes 35 loops in 10 seconds
For three i, it completes 28 loops in 10 seconds
For four i, it completes 20 loops in 10 seconds

I abandoned the idea of difficulty levels not only because of memory, but because even though faster speed = less i, in my opinion it was the same amount of difficulty regardless of number of i, and I concluded that four i would be at least more fun.

@Jon Using the lessons I learned here, do you think it would be at all possible to create a sort of Breakout game? I already experimented with some code that detects walls using the same method in Dodgem Ti, but instead of using a conditional statement like A+(2(C=20))stoA it does this A+(2(pxl-Test(A-1,B))sto A to detect lines and pixels. It's preety easy to make wall/object detection as well as a paddle, but going about making the blocks and making paddle-ball detection is the difficult part. Also, would there be some faster way to do this besides a single Repeat loop? One last note, I really like how hopeful the communityhere is. It's part of the reason I joined, to become better at programming.
blockout would be cool, but i'm thinking it would be slow, which wouldn't make it that much fun...

if you really wanna make great games, i'd suggest you learn assembly. It ain't easy, but you'll get speed and graphics advantages that will come in handy for games
There's only one way between me and assembly: The darn error TASM always gives me that doesn't let me run it. I'll go try Kerm's tips and see what happens.
Re: the breakout idea: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/258/25870.html

Note that this is from a while ago; it's fairly slow and unoptimized, although I spent weeks on it. Yay for learning through experience. See if you can make a better/faster one. Smile
Oh I was just starting form the ground up. I had my own ideas already. Basically I saw that making the boxes on the spot would've been slow, so I would preload them in a picture. Also I think the reason it is slow is because of the little ball. I planned on using an "i" for a ball, because I already know how to work with letters and maybe people will like something different. Right now I am going about making a paddle program, and a box/paddle detection program. When both work well, I will try to combine them into something good, which is what I did with the Dodgem game. I'll download the Breakout game and see if it can help me.
May I recommend that if you're gonna use a character for the ball anyway, you use the degree symbol in [2nd][ANGLE]?
Yeah but how do I get rid of the trail it leaves behind? If I follow the same method that I have been doing so far, putting two blanks in the place of the character, then it wouldn't look like a ball. Anyways I've made considerable progress already. All that is left is deleting the blocks.
I finished the whole kit and kaboodle now! Well I finished the gameplay part. All that is left now is adding beginning and end credits, adding the bug fixes, writing up a readme, zipping it up and uploading it to ticalc.org. Look for it in the next couple of days.
Awesome. Just for future reference, when you want to add something and no one had responded, can you please do this? Smile

Edit:
This is the add new stuff syntax.
Ok. I usually press edit only when I need to edit a previous post but I'll make sure to do that if no one else responds.
k, thanks. If it's been a couple of days, then you can post again to bump it to the top.
KermMartian wrote:
Re: the breakout idea: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/258/25870.html

Note that this is from a while ago; it's fairly slow and unoptimized, although I spent weeks on it. Yay for learning through experience. See if you can make a better/faster one. Smile

I'll try it. I've been thinking about doing something like that for a while.
I'll give it a shot, maybe
Cool, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours