rivereye wrote:
I thought it was live-cd only, I may be wrong though

it CAN be installed, although i don't remeber exactly how... (something like 'mounting' the cd to the hdd or something)
Hmm...I'm preety sure I said it already...oh yes, I did Very Happy

Quote:
sudo knoppix-install
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Hmm...I'm preety sure I said it already...oh yes, I did Very Happy

heh...srry about that, i was really tired when i responded to that Laughing
sudo? Do you mean "pseudo" by any chance?!
KermMartian wrote:
sudo? Do you mean "pseudo" by any chance?!

"sudo" is a method (NOT built in, nor supported by all distro's) to temporarily switch to the root user. It basically gives root access to the next command, without actually needing to log in as the root (or 'su' - switch user - to the root; 'su' is the method i always use, as i don't have sudo setup/installed nor configured)

'sudo' is nice in that the user doesn't actually need to know the root's password, and instead uses their own password when asked by sudo (however, the user could always just "sudo passwd"....)

sudo is perfect for live-CD's, as then they don't have to have the user specify a root password - it can just auto-log in to a normal user account, yet still let that user have full control without the risks of always running as root
Oh, cool! That might be a key to linux becoming used in educational/commercial settings on multiuser machines.
KermMartian wrote:
Oh, cool! That might be a key to linux becoming used in educational/commercial settings on multiuser machines.

'sudo'? not really. you'd use groups on a multi-user machine...that way you don't have to worry about some idiot screwing it all up Very Happy (after all, with linux, there aren't any "are you SURE?" messages, and the OS will stand by and let you hose the whole system - including deleting the kernel right out from under it)
I've been pondering; isn't using sudo a potential security flaw? I mean, if you have sudo setup to do all of your root tasks with (permissions-wise), then anyone who hacked your username could use sudo under your username (but even if sudo is configured to only have a very limited set of permissions, then what's the point of having to use it, configure it, possibly open a security hole, when you could just su instead?)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I've been pondering; isn't using sudo a potential security flaw? I mean, if you have sudo setup to do all of your root tasks with (permissions-wise), then anyone who <font color=red>censored</font> your username could use sudo under your username (but even if sudo is configured to only have a very limited set of permissions, then what's the point of having to use it, configure it, possibly open a security hole, when you could just su instead?)

yeah, it is - which is why i don't use it (they will need your password tho, as sudo asks for it everytime you "sudu")

(however, for a personal PC or liveCD, having someone h@ck your account AT the PC isn't exactly a big threat....)
Okay, so it's not just me...BTW, I use su also Wink

Seems kinda pointless (using sudo) when the root password for knoppix is passwd...
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

Seems kinda pointless (using sudo) when the root password for knoppix is passwd...

erm...you can change that, can't you?!
KermMartian wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:

erm...you can change that, can't you?!

once you've booted from the CD, yes

'$passwd root'
Okay, I think we need a topic split here Wink
yeah, probably, not my job here though. I think we should get back on topic too
Done. Now both topics can be on-topic again.
yay, now to try and get wifi in FC4
rivereye wrote:
yay, now to try and get wifi in FC4

just compile ndiswrapper on it...(or were you getting stuck somewhere? i don't remember...lol)
actually, I was trying the one Ult-Dev linked to, it has WPA (which I need). I really need to learn more about Linux first though
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page <--- I can't stress enough how invaluable that site has been to me Smile You will learn A LOT from there Wink (even though it's not specifically for FC4)
that gentoo-wiki pwns, i LOVE it! the gentoo documentation in general is simply amazing...(including the official guides over at gentoo.org)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours