I have now released version 191 of Calcuzap for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, a color shoot-em-up game in assembly language. This version now has 6 levels, fixes most of the flickering from the earlier versions, and adds the ability to save the game. Available from http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~pad/files/calcuzap-ti8c.zip, screenshots below:

Glad to see an update. Smile Does this one fixes the text erasing glitch found in both the previous version and CMonster? (Where the top of some of the text would get erased)
I have now uploaded version 236 on my site. This version now brings it up to 9 levels and also adds power-ups including double cannon. This version also enables diagonal firing by the bosses (except the first one).

I hope the erasing is fixed by now.
Hi, I want to download this game onto my calculator but I am having trouble. I that you're supposed to send to calcuzap.8xp to the RAM. However I don't know where to send the other files. Ti Connect doesn't seem to give me an option to send them. I have the ti-84 plus c silver edition. Please respond if you have a solution. Thanks.
Send all the accompanied programs to the calculator. You should be able to drag a selection of programs onto the calculator.
The other files are the source code and a readme, you don't have to send them to the calc (and you can't anyway).
Yup, as stated, just send calcuzap.8xp, and run Asm(prgmCALCUZAP). You can find the Asm( command in the Catalog ([2nd][0]).
We need to mod this for Star Wars sprites.
Lol thats a great idea Smile.

Actually that gives me an idea for a sidescrolling starwars shooter as well Smile.
I have now released version 278. This version adds the semi-randomly bouncing triangle enemies, extending to 11 levels.
tifreak8x wrote:
We need to mod this for Star Wars sprites.

Maybe I'll port over/colorify my sprites from Rogue Squadron: Phoenix Rising.
patrickdavidson wrote:
I have now released version 278. This version adds the semi-randomly bouncing triangle enemies, extending to 11 levels.
Great! Can't wait to give it a try. And elfprince, you should absolutely do that.
Triangles ><
What determines the firing rate? Running under Doors CSE, there's a random key repeat that lets you hold [2nd] and fire. Running Calcuzap from the OS, there seems to be no key repeat. In addition, you can't fire at all in speeds 1-3 under Doors CSE. I'll go look at the source, but if you see this before I do, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also, I notice that Doors CSE's writeback makes the score be saved from game to game, amusingly. May I induce you to make this a Doors CSE game? You'll get sprite routines, random number generation, writeback, and so on. My experience is that a large number of lay users don't understand how to Asm(prgmNAME) for assembly games, so you won't lose many or even any users, I believe.

Edit: So CMonster has very similar issues, and I see that the codebase is also similar.
I've updated to version 295 which increases the level count to 14. This one should also clear the score each time.
I'm sure you are right about users not knowing how to type Asm( ... but the same users may not know where to download Doors CSE either!
patrickdavidson wrote:
I'm sure you are right about users not knowing how to type Asm( ... but the same users may not know where to download Doors CSE either!
True, but I'm hoping Doors CSE will become as ubiquitous on the color calculators as MirageOS on the monochrome calculators. Also, the polyglot header mentions DoorsCSE, which should make it easier for users to figure out what they need:

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/ASM_Header_%28Color%29
I actually prefer using DCS(E) because I don't have to go to the Catalog over and over to run anything, especially considering how slow it is to type anything on this color calc.
Is it just me or did the last version get rid of powerups ? I didn't see any one coming even though I am facing blue enemies. On previous versions, I used to pick up a lot of power ups before seeing the blue enemies.
I have now updated this to version 337. This adds 3 levels and increases speed quite a bit (I measured a 22% speedup on the maximum speed, with 18 of the early enemies present and shooting but the player not shooting). This version now requires DoorsCSE.

The last version shouldn't have removed power-ups, but in any case, I have tested this one and they are now present.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours