I know i am intending to fix some calculators while we are there most notably qazzsand maybe something of kerms im not sure
geekboy1011 wrote:
Like always i want to put a plug in forcadan. Tho i feel the technical nature of it may get lost sadly. As for the displays so far I like the concepts. Maybe have an interactive calcnet booth with a netbook or something showing the calc interfacing with values on a web page or something
Oh, that's very clever. Display SAX side-by-side with the gCn console on the netbook, perhaps?

Quote:
Or on the cn2 thing have a webpage people could like put there name in on there smart phones and have it show up on the calcs that are networked
Maybe a temporary webpage they can go to on their smartphones, say something, and have it show up on the calculator? I like the way you're thinking!
Exactly like that just limit the amount of characters so everyone gets a line and use a small font and have it scroll down the screen. If someone would help with the bridge code i could make the calc code tonight
If only there were one in Chicago that Kerm would visit.
Ok info on what i was thinking for the gcn thing at the table. A kind of guestbook.

A mock up on Calc looks like such.

The thought here is that the people go on a web page on there smartphones (or a provided netbook) and sign the guestbook they would supply a state they are from an email and a name/message

And it would show up on the calc like in the screenie and scroll down with new entries.

I am saying ask for an email so that people can only sign once. would be cool for statistics of people who actually stopped by and such.

I am willing to write up the calculator side of this but sadly I am not so good at web development so does anyone want to help with that?³

EDIT might add a greyscale background for the hell of it just an idea cause i like greyscale
I strongly veto the grayscale idea. We have too many things to coordinate for Maker Faire without worrying about grayscale. Smile Can you make the calculator side in BASIC, perhaps, and I can do the web interface? Also, do we want the netbook display to show just the client, or the client and the webpage so that people can sign the guestbook from the computer if they don't have a smartphone?
I was going todo it in asm its easier for you to make the calcnet frame. and honestly less headachey for me as I'm more used to asm tho if you really prefer it I can do it in basic I can learn that quick enough. The netbook in my mind was to solely show the webpage so people can sign it without a smart phone. But what do you mean by show the client?

as for the greyscale I was just going to throw a static image behind it of cemetechs logo or something simple. But thats if I have time and if it is in ASM
Geekboy, how's that going? Here's the current roster of display type things we have and need:

I have:
- The foamcore board for the CALCnet Chat! demo
- The floppy drive and foamcore board for the Floppy Drive Music demo
- The foamcore board for the 5-calculator networking demo
- The standing foamcore stand for our overview description

We need:
- 2 cheap plastic tableclothes for 6' tables. Blue or maroon preferred.
- 1 Arduino for the CALCnet Chat! demo (I have)
- 1 Arduino for the Guestbook demo
- Foamcore display for the Guestbook demo
- Netbook set up for the Guestbook demo, so that the keyboard is under the calculator display and won't get pressed.
- Software for the guestbook demo
- 1 TI-83+ for the Chat! demo (I have)
- 1 TI-83+ for the Floppy Drive Music demo (I have)
- 5 TI-83+ for the 5-Calculator Networking demo
- TI-84+SE, Pink TI-84+SE, Casio Prizm, TI-84+CSE for the Gaming demo display
- Foamcore and method of securing the Gaming demo. Don't want people pulling it off the table like last time
- Foamcore stand for the CAS Calculators demo: Prime and Nspire CX CAS
- Prime and Nspire CAS for the CAS Calculators demo (I have)
- Design bookmarks
- Print and photocopy bookmark design
- Cut out all the bookmarks
- USB cables and USB hub for charing the Prime, 84+CSE, Prizm, and Nspire CX CAS
- A few copies of each of my books (I have).
- Foamcore display or description of the books?
- Power strip
Oill be working on the program tonight some family matters came up and messed progress up last night.

Kerm did you get my pm? And my netbook is shot do you have one to use? (Im bringing mine just has a broken screen...kinda

As for that list the only thing i could help with is bookmarks. Maybe an impromptu hcwp tonight Kerm to work on and discuss things?
Kerm, do you have access to an iPad? If you have someone that can let you borrow it for a day or two, I'd imagine TI would be super happy to hand over a key to get at the Nspire application stuff to show off there.
I can bring my Kensington lock if you can come up with a way to put a slot for it in the gaming demo.

I'll bring both my surge protector + squid, so we can have much outletting.

An external display would be helpful if I'm going to be running any FreeBuild demos. Otherwise we could perhaps set guestbook/netbook into some kind of kiosk mode that ran videos on half the screen and the guestbook on the other half.

I'll help with any crafting that still needs to be done on Friday night, and can help with drafting of bookmark designs later tonight.
Update:

I have:
- The foamcore board for the CALCnet Chat! demo
- The Arduino for the Chat! demo
- The floppy drive and foamcore board for the Floppy Drive Music demo
- The foamcore board for the 5-calculator networking demo (needs to be re-made if I have time
- The standing foamcore stand for our overview description
- Finished the "High School Math, Coding, Gaming" display
- Printed 125 sheets of bookmarks at 7 bookmarks per page (825 total)
- Cut out about 30% of the bookmarks
- USB hub and charger for charging the Prime, 84+CSE, Prizm, and Nspire CX CAS
- Tested/fixed 5 calculators for the networking demo, loaded software onto them, and decided to clean up the existing networking display instead of re-making it. Still need to actually do that bit.
- Set up the Ultimate Calculator 2 display board. Sadly, I wasn't able to get it functioning, so it is displayed splayed, like last time.
- 2 cheap plastic tableclothes for 6' tables. Blue or maroon preferred (Thanks geekboy! I owe you reimbursement)
- Check the wiring on the Floppy Disk Music displays (including making sure the calcs don't need ribbon cable fixes)
- Finished the Python-side software for the guestbook demo
- Reinstalled the Arduino suite and programmed the Arduino for the Chat! demo
- Tested netbook for the Guestbook demo and Chat! gCn connection

I need to
- Write and re-print the overview description
- Program the "HS Math..." calculators
- Create the CAS display
- Create the Guestbook display
- Cut out the rest of the bookmarks
- Make sure I have and have tested all the required calculators
- Make sure I have enough miniUSB and microUSB cables for charging the TI-84+CSE, Prime, and Nspire.

We need:
- 1 Arduino for the Guestbook demo, or DirectUSB
- Foamcore description stand for the books
- Power strip (elfprince is bringing)

Packing reminders to self:
- Pack netbook and charger and laptop and charger
- Make sure you have enough 5V power
- Make sure you have all the calculators!
- Make sure there are enough mini USB and one micro USB cables
- Bring a spare 83+ or two
- Bring multimeter and wire strippers for debugging
- Pack "Using" and about three "Programming" books
- Remember a camera and food
- Remember to grab the poster tube
- If you put the calculators on a wheelie, pad them!
- Bring the unused displays for donor foamcore board for supports
Kerm i Need that information for the guestbook so i can test it. just what the ping frame is and how i join the irc room or what ever.
- 1 Arduino for the Guestbook demo, or DirectUSB

I can bring one of my arduinos if you need another one for the calculators.

- A few copies of each of my books (I have).

I'm gonna guess you have it covered, but I can certainly bring my copy if it's needed.
Geekboy: $AB, "GSTBOOK", $00 every 10-15 seconds as a *broadcast*.

Qazz: I'm covered on books. I'll let you know if I need you to bring an Arduino.

bus tickets and table clothes get
Great! What did those tablecloths set you back?
2$ eg Don't worry about it the tickets cost more at a not to bad 21$ a pop

Do you know about how much the subway will be?
geekboy: last time I was there (in the spring), it was $2.25 per pass through the metrocard swiper (which should only happen once per time you enter the subway network). Might have gone up though.
geekboy1011 wrote:
2$ eg Don't worry about it the tickets cost more at a not to bad 21$ a pop

Do you know about how much the subway will be?
Yes, $2.50 each way. It costs $2.50 to ride from anywhere in the subway system to anywhere else in the system.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours